HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
I experienced some oscillation for the first time today on my visionaire. I was a little above 3/4 throttle doing knife edge and the tail started to wag a little bit.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:52 PM
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Nov 2011
99 Posts
I am in the process of setting up my TX and I'm having a hard time understanding this part of the manual:

DX7s and above transmitters can activate rates on one Dual Rates
switch like the DX6i transmitter. However, DX7s and above transmitters can
also activate rates and exponential on the same switch as the flight mode
(Channel 5). If desired, GF (General Flight) mode can activate low rates with
moderate exponential, and 3D mode can activate high rates with exponential
on a curve.

I have a DX7s and when reading through the first few pages of this topic Quique stated take off in General flight (Flight mode 0) and D/R's set to 1. But, if I set the daul rates to be slaved to the Flight Mode switch the Dual Rate switches do not do anything. Am I missing something? Also, what is exponential on curve and where is that setup?
Maddog20 is offline Find More Posts by Maddog20
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog20 View Post
I am in the process of setting up my TX and I'm having a hard time understanding this part of the manual:

DX7s and above transmitters can activate rates on one Dual Rates
switch like the DX6i transmitter. However, DX7s and above transmitters can
also activate rates and exponential on the same switch as the flight mode
(Channel 5). If desired, GF (General Flight) mode can activate low rates with
moderate exponential, and 3D mode can activate high rates with exponential
on a curve.

I have a DX7s and when reading through the first few pages of this topic Quique stated take off in General flight (Flight mode 0) and D/R's set to 1. But, if I set the daul rates to be slaved to the Flight Mode switch the Dual Rate switches do not do anything. Am I missing something? Also, what is exponential on curve and where is that setup?
Having Dual Rates on various switches is a matter of preference. If Dual Rates and Expo are set up for a particular switch like "Gear", then the other switches like "Rudd D/R" will have no effect. This is typical when setting up a TX. When QQ mentions, "set D/R's to 1", I think he's implying IF your switches are set up that way.

As for Expo on a "curve", zero Expo is linear or a straight line. ANY amount of Expo will create a "curve" and make the response non-linear. The Expo set up is in the D/R and Expo menu.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Turnerm - where's the other video's. Think we are gonna have to take up a collection and buy you a faster battery charger. In reality, I can see you not being as fascinated by this one as some of us because of your abilities and the quality of planes you own and fly regularly. I just can't quite see this one being up to your capabilities and you certainly don't need the help it gives us mere mortals. I do look forward to more opinions from you with some more flight time though. I can't tell a good 3d plane from a bad one, but put stock in your observations.
First off - thanks for the kind words.

That was kinda the point I was trying to make earlier. I think HH has hit a homerun with this one. It's truly a plane that people of all skill levels will love. Dave and QQ both said this and now I'm a believer. If you want to sport fly it... It will be awesome. If you want to learn 3D, again, it will be awesome. If you're already pretty well versed in 3D then it will just make you giddy. I mean, let's be real, it's not gonna compare to a quality (EF/3DHS) 60"+ 3D beast but for the value proposition it will give the 48 inchers a good run for their money. It won't really compare to my 71" Slick but I wouldn't expect it to. But honestly.... This thing is in the same zip code as my 48" Edge was and its cheaper and less susceptible to ruin. A nicer and more expensive balsa 3D plane will give you a wider flight envelope but they are also more expensive and less resilient.

So for me, this is a serious practice plane that has 80% of the capabilities of my other planes. But it's cheaper and modular. A nice value proposition if you ask me.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
First off - thanks for the kind words.

That was kinda the point I was trying to make earlier. I think HH has hit a homerun with this one. It's truly a plane that people of all skill levels will love. Dave and QQ both said this and now I'm a believer. If you want to sport fly it... It will be awesome. If you want to learn 3D, again, it will be awesome. If you're already pretty well versed in 3D then it will just make you giddy. I mean, let's be real, it's not gonna compare to a quality (EF/3DHS) 60"+ 3D beast but for the value proposition it will give the 48 inchers a good run for their money. It won't really compare to my 71" Slick but I wouldn't expect it to. But honestly.... This thing is in the same zip code as my 48" Edge was and its cheaper and less susceptible to ruin. A nicer and more expensive balsa 3D plane will give you a wider flight envelope but they are also more expensive and less resilient.

So for me, this is a serious practice plane that has 80% of the capabilities of my other planes. But it's cheaper and modular. A nice value proposition if you ask me.
Yup! +1000! That is exactly why I got this plane! For a plane to throw around and have some fun with! Especially in my backyard!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Nov 2011
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
Having Dual Rates on various switches is a matter of preference. If Dual Rates and Expo are set up for a particular switch like "Gear", then the other switches like "Rudd D/R" will have no effect. This is typical when setting up a TX. When QQ mentions, "set D/R's to 1", I think he's implying IF your switches are set up that way.

As for Expo on a "curve", zero Expo is linear or a straight line. ANY amount of Expo will create a "curve" and make the response non-linear. The Expo set up is in the D/R and Expo menu.
Got it thanks!
Maddog20 is offline Find More Posts by Maddog20
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:24 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,150 Posts
@Zmonster: Some beautiful photos of what was obviously some great flying (again!).

As far as expo goes, I am pretty convinced that the AS3X already has expo built in. I fly my Sbach at 100% rates and zero expo and I am new to this game. I read somebody earlier (Turnerm?) say they thought they may be able to go to zero on this aircraft and I think that is very possible.

What do people think of the General low rates combo? I tried it once airborne and the pitch authority was as I expected ... not much! I did not dare take off or land with it. I need some more flights but I am thinking of setting my DR combo switch to 100% for both settings and just using the mode/gear switch.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
As far as expo goes, I am pretty convinced that the AS3X already has expo built in. I fly my Sbach at 100% rates and zero expo and I am new to this game. I read somebody earlier (Turnerm?) say they thought they may be able to go to zero on this aircraft and I think that is very possible.
I don't think the AR635 has built in Expo. I found I needed lower Expo values when flying the AR635, but I think that's because the nature of the gyro system. The fact that the control sufaces are constantly moving on their own will probably cause a very slight delay in certain inputs. Although it "feels" similar to the effects of Expo, I don't think it's because of built in Expo in the RX. Besides, the AR635's manual has no mention of it anywhere.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Quote:
@Zmonster: Some beautiful photos of what was obviously some great flying (again!).

What do people think of the General low rates combo? I tried it once airborne and the pitch authority was as I expected ... not much! I did not dare take off or land with it. I need some more flights but I am thinking of setting my DR combo switch to 100% for both settings and just using the mode/gear switch.
Haven't got to fly mine yet, but have been overworking the mind on where to start. Leaning toward thinking 100% dr in general mode and 70% on the 3d rates to start. General at 70% looks on the low side and 100% on 3d is scary looking to a non 3d'r. I am used to fairly low throws on faster aerobatic type planes, but have my profile 3d foamies set at 125% for all I can get which still isn't as much as the va at 100% on 3d. Thanks for the input.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:52 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
I don't think the AR635 has built in Expo. I found I needed lower Expo values when flying the AR635, but I think that's because the nature of the gyro system. The fact that the control sufaces are constantly moving on their own will probably cause a very slight delay in certain inputs. Although it "feels" similar to the effects of Expo, I don't think it's because of built in Expo in the RX. Besides, the AR635's manual has no mention of it anywhere.
Yes, it could be delays caused by gyros or something else feeling like expo, but there has to be something in there which enables use with the DX4 and 5?

Fly the VA at 30% and it feels like 70%..............
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:57 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
bobly, you are overthinking this one

Put it on low rates and fly it like ya stole it, it flies as easy as the T-28's on low rates, IMO low rates makes it easier for traditional take off and landings for guys w/o a whole lot of experience. Will keep ya from bouncing coming in and hitting too much vertical on take off. I had the PZ Extra 300 and it needed very little elevator especially during landings. I find on low rates there is plenty of authority for sport flying.............
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:00 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 AM
ldf
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, Turnerm

And also thanks to all those that commented on expo. With the weather forecast we have here it looks the maiden won't be until Thursday.
ldf is online now Find More Posts by ldf
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I've got a small arsenal of batteries heading my way now. I'll be in business by the middle of the week! This plane is going to be perfect to toss in the back of the car for some lunch time flying at work!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
bobly, you are overthinking this one

Put it on low rates and fly it like ya stole it, it flies as easy as the T-28's on low rates, IMO low rates makes it easier for traditional take off and landings for guys w/o a whole lot of experience. Will keep ya from bouncing coming in and hitting too much vertical on take off. I had the PZ Extra 300 and it needed very little elevator especially during landings. I find on low rates there is plenty of authority for sport flying.............
Understand the Extra 300 thing for sure. It's one of my favs and have had guys comment about how little elev movement it has till I show them how quick it will trade directions from horiz to vert. I beat it pretty hard. On the extra I believe too much elev was a lot of the problems folks have with it. It's ok to have it once you know what it does and get familiar enough it to realize that you don't use it all at once, but for starters, I always have recommended keeping it really low.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly