HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
558 Posts
. Do NOT use WD-40 as it will do more harm than good.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, why is this? I used it for many years in buggy engines with no ill effects and my engines were always corrosion free.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:28 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk View Post
. Do NOT use WD-40 as it will do more harm than good.
Just out of curiosity, why is this? I used it for many years in buggy engines with no ill effects and my engines were always corrosion free.[/QUOTE]

If there is any rust present in the engine, WD40 will tend to break it free and then when you run the engine you have a nice lot of iron particles scouring out your engine, kinda like putting a pinch of sand into your engine and then running it. WD40 is a water dispersant, not a lubrication./
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Just out of curiosity, why is this? I used it for many years in buggy engines with no ill effects and my engines were always corrosion free.
If there is any rust present in the engine, WD40 will tend to break it free and then when you run the engine you have a nice lot of iron particles scouring out your engine, kinda like putting a pinch of sand into your engine and then running it. WD40 is a water dispersant, not a lubrication./[/QUOTE]

I guess I can kind of see your point. Personally I don't use ARO as a lubricant. I'm using it to prevent corrosion. Plus ATF is an incredibly strong cleanser. I think it would even break up rust and carbon deposits. I'm definitely not saying WD 40 is the best choice, but considering it stands for Water Displacing...that's really what you are trying to do, or at least one of the main reasons to use ARO...corrosion prevention. I just think that if you use some sort of corrosion prevention method from the start, there should be no rust to break up and cause problems in the first place.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk