HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Discussion
Using broken Proto Max parts for an indoor plane possible?

My ProtoMax heli is broken again and I am sick of fixing it. So I was wondering if anyone has used the little circuit board with Rx/esc/servos built in for an indoor plane. Our club members fly in a small gym during the winter so that is why I want to build a plane. I am looking at a little motor /gearbox from Hobby King to power it. I was told that the amp draw is about the same as the rotor motor so I'm thinking it might work out. Any suggestions on this for a plane I can build out of thin depron or stick balsa and tissue? RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Really depends on the type of plane you are looking to build.

Here's a random nice one which might fit what you are looking for:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=byob

If you can include some specs of the electronics you have and what kind of plane you are interested in building, I am sure we can find more suitable matches.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
No, not nearly that big. The equipment is from a ProtoMax heli. The the little circuit board I believe, has a reciever, 2 servos, and a brushless esc. and is very light.This is the motor I might buy for it. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10000 I guess a wingspan would be between a foot and a foot and a half. I want something stable and fairly slow. I may have to just take a shot at it to learn what will work. Thanx anyhow. RCNutt
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
If it has a brushless ESC, I don't think a brushed motor will work with it as far as I understand. Why not get a micro brushless motor then?

This one is 10g and really great http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5358

If you want even smaller, then try this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2000kv.html

I like brushless much much more than brushed.

Cheers!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:45 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
No, not nearly that big. The equipment is from a ProtoMax heli. The the little circuit board I believe, has a reciever, 2 servos, and a brushless esc. and is very light....
The Revell ProtoMax heli is a rebadged Nine Eagles Solo Pro heli,
similar to an E-flite mSR heli.
AUW is about an ounce.
The board has a receiver, 2 servos and a brushed (not brushless) esc.
Another way to view the board is that it is similar to a Vapor board (no servo reversing though, as far as I know),
plus some parts that are not normally used in a plane: a gyro and an esc for a tail motor.

One thing to do is to look for plane plans that reuse a Vapor board (aka "Vapor brick" or "Vapor guts").
Some might be in the "indoor and micro model" forum.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Dec 20, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:17 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
6 ounce indoor plane

To astronaut, That 1st motor you suggestred looks like one that I have on this 6 ounce plane I designed and built. I use a APC 5.5 prop with a 2 cell 500mah battery. This plane works in the small gym but intimidates all the other flyers that fly Vapors, small foamies and micro helicopters. The one I want to build will be much smaller and lighter. RCNutt
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Revell Proto Max heli circuit board question

I pulled my circuit board out of my Revell Proto Max to use it for a small indoor plane, but I forgot to take note of which plug the larger rotor motor wire plugs into. I'll put on a picture. Could someone tell me if it plugs into "A" or into "B"? RCNutt
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
I pulled my circuit board out of my Revell Proto Max to use it for a small indoor plane, but I forgot to take note of which plug the larger rotor motor wire plugs into. I'll put on a picture. Could someone tell me if it plugs into "A" or into "B"? RCNutt
Wiring shown in the attached photo (from post 1 of the SoloPro FAQ thread in the micro helicopters forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
)

The main motor looks attached to the "upper" set of pins: B.

One way to test: plug in the battery and motor and increase throttle to run the motor a little.
Then turn the board as if yawing the helicopter. If the motor speed changes, the pins are probably for the tail motor.
If the motor speed stays about the same, the pins are probably for the main motor.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Good thinking. Yaw is controlled on the right stick correct? I could use the tail motor to run the test with. That way it can't do any damage. Thanx for the tip. RCNutt
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
... Yaw is controlled on the right stick correct? ...
On the heli (assuming a mode 2 Tx):
Yaw (rudder) is controled with the left stick.
Aileron/roll/(left/right cyclic) is controlled with the right stick.

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:46 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Thanx Flying llama, I got it figured out now. RCNutt