Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirppa View Post
Hi!
New to the forums and new to the RC hobby as such. So as a first copter I bough the V911 from dx. Everywhere it says that the copter is very stable and easy to fly. I know I'm a newbie so this is probably just a matter of practice but mine seems not to hover true. Also it either climbs like crazy or starts to decent.
Which one do you have? I received a new black/orange from T-mart on Saturday which also reacts to the throttle like Zebedee on amphetamines, especially when the battery is full.

Quote:
Hi!
So I slowly add throttle until the copter starts to climb. When at my desired height I leave the throttle to be and the heli starts to decent. So I can't hover.
You won't get many helis to hover hands-off for more than a few seconds, as they need constant stick input to compensate for the turbulence caused by the rotors. Think of it like this... if you drop a feather in an airtight room it'll sink slowly more or less vertically to the floor. If you create a draught (like heli rotors do with knobs on) then the feather will drift off. Compensating for this is just a matter of practice, as you so rightly suspect yourself.

Quote:
If I magically manage to hover the heli for a while it keeps turning slowly to left like I had the rudder slightly turned. Even though I'm not even touching it.

I tried adjusting the trim's but like I said I'm a complete newb so I have no idea what and how to adjust. If this is the wrong place and there is some newbie directions thread I apologize.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
I also asked this question within, I think, the last 24 hours, but haven't had an answer yet. Your rudder trim, assuming mode 2, is the small switch just below your throttle (left) stick. If you click it several times toward the right that should stop the heli rotating anti-clockwise (counterclockwise if you speak "Ami-English" )

As far as I can work it out the torque created by the main rotors turning clockwise makes the heli want to spin in the opposite direction, probably due to conservation of momentum, if I correctly remember my physics lessons of 30-something years ago. The tail rotor then spins creating torque on the perpendicular axis to counter this rotation, i.e. if the tail rotor doesn't provide enough power, the heli will still rotate to the left. Conversely, if it provides too much, the heli will rotate to the right.

I'm assuming (dangerous, cos to assume means you make an ass out of u and out of me ) that the rudder trim simply causes the tail rotor to either speed up or slow down, depending on trim direction.

The question I posed was basically is there any change I can make to the setup so that I don't have to trim hard right to stop it rotating left? I can imagine putting a slightly larger rotor on the tail might do it (bigger rotor + same rpm = more counteractive force) but I suspect that otherwise it just has to be accepted. I could well imagine that's why we have rudder trim, to compensate for the fact that even different examples of the same motor won't necessarily deliver the same power.

If anyone sees anything here which I have misunderstood then please let me know and I'll gladly stand corrected. I'm just basically spouting my interpretation of mechanical theory here and, if my brain has gone off at a tangent at some point, I'm more than willing to allow it to be guided back on track

Hope this, and any subsequent corrections which may be made, has been of some help to you Tirppa.

Cheers
Tigg
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs View Post
I have seen only 120mah cells for the new plug version WL Toys v911: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...t-p-52374.html
Me too. It's about time they were doing 150mah new plugs. Maybe they want to get rid of their old stock first. I've been doing my best to help them
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Me too. It's about time they were doing 150mah new plugs. Maybe they want to get rid of their old stock first. I've been doing my best to help them
Actually, its about time they change the plug to the "mSR type" style
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:31 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:

I also asked this question within, I think, the last 24 hours, but haven't had an answer yet. Your rudder trim, assuming mode 2, is the small switch just below your throttle (left) stick. If you click it several times toward the right that should stop the heli rotating anti-clockwise (counterclockwise if you speak "Ami-English" )

As far as I can work it out the torque created by the main rotors turning clockwise makes the heli want to spin in the opposite direction, probably due to conservation of momentum, if I correctly remember my physics lessons of 30-something years ago. The tail rotor then spins creating torque on the perpendicular axis to counter this rotation, i.e. if the tail rotor doesn't provide enough power, the heli will still rotate to the left. Conversely, if it provides too much, the heli will rotate to the right.
Correct. Tap the trim switch below the left stick a few times in the direction you want the trim to effect - if the heli yaws left, trim right. As the battery power decreases this will continue to need adjusted. There are no manual adjustments for yaw as there is for the cyclic/swashplate.

Quote:
I'm assuming (dangerous, cos to assume means you make an ass out of u and out of me ) that the rudder trim simply causes the tail rotor to either speed up or slow down, depending on trim direction.

The question I posed was basically is there any change I can make to the setup so that I don't have to trim hard right to stop it rotating left? I can imagine putting a slightly larger rotor on the tail might do it (bigger rotor + same rpm = more counteractive force) but I suspect that otherwise it just has to be accepted. I could well imagine that's why we have rudder trim, to compensate for the fact that even different examples of the same motor won't necessarily deliver the same power.

Cheers
Tigg
A larger rotor will result in reducing the rpm and making the motor work harder, likely resulting in reduced motor life. If the yaw problem is too much for the trim adjustment, you could try placing a replacement tail fin further forwards on the boom so that the rotor wash hits it. Gently using heat, form the fin so that the rotor wash pushes the tail in the desired direction.
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts

well if anyone would like to pick them up off of me for the $8.00 i paid for them, i will gladly send these out to you as i have no use for them as it seems i have the new style.
Dark_Lord is offline Find More Posts by Dark_Lord
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
+1 on that e2. Then when my batteries die - which won't take long at the rate I'm going - I could just buy a big bunch of "msr-style".

WL TOYS... ARE YOU STILL LISTENING????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch332 View Post
There are no manual adjustments for yaw as there is for the cyclic/swashplate.
As I suspected, thanks Mitch

Quote:
A larger rotor will result in reducing the rpm and making the motor work harder, likely resulting in reduced motor life. If the yaw problem is too much for the trim adjustment, you could try placing a replacement tail fin further forwards on the boom so that the rotor wash hits it. Gently using heat, form the fin so that the rotor wash pushes the tail in the desired direction.
Cheers for the info. Do you mean mount a 2nd tail fin or move the original one forward? Just a bit worried that if I move the fin forward it would leave the tail motor more exposed to crash damage
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
well if anyone would like to pick them up off of me for the $8.00 i paid for them, i will gladly send these out to you as i have no use for them as it seems i have the new style.
8 BUCKS!!! YOU WERE ROBBED I got 5 of them from BG for 7.58 (9.85 USD). OK I had to wait 3 weeks, but still...

Why don't you just get either an old-style BNF, old-style charger and a few more batteries. I have both old and new styles and TBH I prefer the old. The new ones sometimes disconnect with even a slight tail hit and, instead of practising my "emergency escape skills" I end up picking the heli off the floor, reconnecting and rebinding before I can carry on flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I can't say as I have had any issues with the 'old style' batteries - they seem to have decent power, flight times and longevity.

What exactly is the advantage of the newer 'msr type' battery for the v911. They still have a proprietory connector do they not, ie not the same as msr et al?

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:39 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I can't say as I have had any issues with the 'old style' batteries - they seem to have decent power, flight times and longevity.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
What exactly is the advantage of the newer 'msr type' battery for the v911. They still have a proprietory connector do they not, ie not the same as msr et al?

regards . . . g
Only thing I can really think of is that I seem to remember someone (e2?) saying that they were really inexpensive. Although at roughly 7.50€ for 5 off, the old-style ain't exactly going to break the bank either

Edit: and of course the fact that the contacts are integrated into the skids. When I only had 1 heli a wire broke off right at the contact. Busted the contact trying to fix it and had 2 days downtime til a certain colleague of ours sent me a new set of skids. Just soldering the plug back on would be easier. Oh well, don't have that problem any more Bye, bye - must fly

Maybe e2 has another reason apart from cost. I'm sure he'll let us know anyway
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Dec 04, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
Finland, Imatra
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Thank you for your post Tigg! Helped me clear up some misconceptions I had about ease of hovering and other stuff. I now have decent trim settings but like you said I need to change them or steer all the time as the battery level changes. But it seems I just need some faster reflexes and practice. It also seems that my controller forgets some of the trim settings. It remembers the others but then forgets one Can that be even possible. But it's a nice heli and my god it can take a beating I've flown it to the wall and ceiling more than couple of times and it still flies ok (some stutter but meh )
Tirppa is offline Find More Posts by Tirppa
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Yeah, the yaw rate is faster than anybody needs. The poor, poor little guys flying in there must get dizzy! I doubt if you'd notice if the left and right yaw rates were different.

Give the V911 a try, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Rick
Yes I guess... Im waiting for mine...it could be arrived in this week, so finger crossed...
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:59 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your post Tigg! Helped me clear up some misconceptions I had about ease of hovering and other stuff. I now have decent trim settings but like you said I need to change them or steer all the time as the battery level changes. But it seems I just need some faster reflexes and practice. It also seems that my controller forgets some of the trim settings. It remembers the others but then forgets one Can that be even possible. But it's a nice heli and my god it can take a beating I've flown it to the wall and ceiling more than couple of times and it still flies ok (some stutter but meh )
Far as I know it remembers the cyclic trims (right stick) but you have to redo the throttle and rudder trims each time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
all flown out...

Well that's 4 more batteries emptied - 2 on the B/W & 2 on the yellow. Only damage was a slight nick to the forehead when I didn't duck quick enough so I'm definitely getting better. Decided that was enough flying for tonight though when the yellow bird nearly knocked my beer bottle over
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:39 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Hard to say, both directions are fast (stock tx). But left turns are tighter than right turns due to the natural right-ward lean.
+1 on that stonecutter. Just starting to get the hang of giving it some right aileron coming out of that corner to stop the heli careening into my CDs. Think I'll have to put my wife's CDs over there til I have it down pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Correct. Tap the trim switch below the left stick a few times in the direction you want the trim to effect - if the heli yaws left, trim right. As the battery power decreases this will continue to need adjusted. There are no manual adjustments for yaw as there is for the cyclic/swashplate.

You can, however, put a pre-distortion in the tx when binding. Try holding the rudder stick slightly off center when powering up, the tx will interpret that position as 'center', so when you release the stick, it will be equivalent to a constant yaw command input. Don't know when you will want that, but if your gyro is screwed up enough, it may be worth a try.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter