HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,096 Posts
All wired up

I didn't see it in the documentation. Which way should motors 11, 10, and 9 spin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
...It's not dependent to TriiWiicopter code.
Thanks. It must be too early in the morning for me.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 30, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCee_V4 View Post
Hi Alex, will the ADXL322 dual-axis accelerometer work with your design ?
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=849
There are enough free analog PIN to integrate this type of accelerometer and it supports 5V VCC.
So, yes it could replace the nunchuk if you want to do like this. However, the code must be adapted for this (not so difficult)

Quote:
I didn't see it in the documentation. Which way should motors 11, 10, and 9 spin?
I'm using 3 identical propellers for my tricopter, so they spin all in the same way. But you are free to use a mix of CW/CCW propellers. you just have to invert 2 ESCs<->motor wires. It's not dependent to TriiWiicopter code.
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:06 AM
FPV Junkie
somewhere in space
Joined Aug 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
I tried to integrate a nunchuk, but apparently I got a very bad copy of it, single side pcb.
It works, but its step resolution is about 5 degrees. I can do nothing precise with this.
I just ordered another one, with the hope it will be good this time.

cool original nunshunk will be better, scoregame is your friend with second hand !!!

need to replace my another , I do a hole in the frame but I do it with the wmp too ... LOL
still working ...! but I've got a lot of drift now

need to sleep more;;;

so new 6dof WIImu buy this morning and ready, tell me if it's ready, I can test it tomorow if you sent me the soft

in PM

rc evert , I'have nothing for filming , all is in fpv, now camcorder mine is dead

need to buy a gopro
tazdevil is offline Find More Posts by tazdevil
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:26 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
so new 6dof WIImu buy this morning and ready, tell me if it's ready, I can test it tomorow if you sent me the soft
The 6DOF soft is not written.
I just wrote a 6DOF only sketch and discovered that my nunchuk is not usable for an auto level tricopter.
When I discover this, I did not go further in the Triwii development code because I need a real config to tune it properly.

So, I have to wait for a new nunchuk
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCee_V4 View Post
Hi Alex, will the ADXL322 dual-axis accelerometer work with your design ?
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=849
there is the new BMA180
but more powerful. - http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9723
- http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/S...0-DS000-03.pdf

jürgen
JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Hi AlexinParis

I have a simple question and hope you may assist with an answer.

I am putting together a TriCopter using your code and info on your site.

For the ESC's I have several Phoenix 10 from Castle Creations and ask if you can explain to me why in code for the esc's you set the value to 400Mhz? I understand the servo setting at 50 but why the ESC's to such a high value. I think this is the response/refresh rate for the ESC's??

I have been waiting and hoping someone would come up with a design that could use the WM+. This is truly a breakthrough and thank you for your work.

Jim
JimnAz is offline Find More Posts by JimnAz
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:52 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnAz View Post
Hi AlexinParis

I have a simple question and hope you may assist with an answer.

I am putting together a TriCopter using your code and info on your site.

For the ESC's I have several Phoenix 10 from Castle Creations and ask if you can explain to me why in code for the esc's you set the value to 400Mhz? I understand the servo setting at 50 but why the ESC's to such a high value. I think this is the response/refresh rate for the ESC's??

I have been waiting and hoping someone would come up with a design that could use the WM+. This is truly a breakthrough and thank you for your work.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I don't know if you castle creations ESCs are able to support the needed refresh rate (even if they are very good ESCs for other use).
The 400kHz speed rate is only for I2C communication with WMP.

The refresh rate of the ESC is 490Hz and is static. We need to have a high refresh rate to have the best reaction time from the ESCs in order to adjust each spinning rate. At 50Hz, it is not high enough to have a good stabilization.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:47 AM
Bricks don't glide !
Joined Mar 2008
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUERGEN_ View Post
That looks interesting. SPI and I2C interface as well as lots of programmable features.
KayCee_V4 is offline Find More Posts by KayCee_V4
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,096 Posts
Are the dashed line connections correct?
Where does the FTDI's (CTS) pin connect to on the ProMini?
Where does the (BLK) pin on the ProMini connect to on the FTDI?

----Edit
Never mind. The blink sketh is working now. I got the motors to arm also
I have the original motion+ so I had to comment out that line you mentioned. Does this mean I'm not updating as fast as I would with the fake motion+. If so can I expect that my tri won't be as stable as it would be if I had the faster update rate.

This thing is pretty cool. Thanks Alexinparis. I have a bad bearing in one of my motors and only have three of these. I'll have to change them all out with some others I have before I test fly this thing.

I'm assuming we are supposed to program the ProMini using the IDE board option (Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/Atmega328)?
I guess the TXO and RXI pins on one of these boards is not labeled correctly?
I had to rename the file to (triwii) without the _v1.2 part in the name for it to load in the IDE.

I think this has been mentioned before but just in case...
Don't plug in the flight battery while uploading a sketch. It made my servo go all the way to one side and buzz as if it was going to break. Don't hit the reset button or the motors go to full throttle for a second

I see on your site a video titled (Tricopter-modified AeroQuad firmware 2). Is this code version available also?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 01, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:32 AM
FPV Junkie
somewhere in space
Joined Aug 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post

----Edit
Never mind. The blink sketh is working now. I got the motors to arm also
I have the original motion+ so I had to comment out that line you mentioned. Does this mean I'm not updating as fast as I would with the fake motion+. If so can I expect that my tri won't be as stable as it would be if I had the faster update rate.

This thing is pretty cool. Thanks Alexinparis. I have a bad bearing in one of my motors and only have three of these. I'll have to change them all out with some others I have before I test fly this thing.

I'm assuming we are supposed to program the ProMini using the IDE board option (Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/Atmega328)?
I guess the TXO and RXI pins on one of these boards is not labeled correctly?
I had to rename the file to (triwii) without the _v1.2 part in the name for it to load in the IDE.

I think this has been mentioned before but just in case...
Don't plug in the flight battery while uploading a sketch. It made my servo go all the way to one side and buzz as if it was going to break. Don't hit the reset button or the motors go to full throttle for a second

I see on your site a video titled (Tricopter-modified AeroQuad firmware 2). Is this code version available also?
yes I confirm for the motor start of 1 second when reset is atived...

mdr

I 've got a lot of problem with the aeroquad WII version on my quad , so I'll will don't try on the tricopter for now , waiting for a working version
model crach when there is to much wind... but work without wind
Alex code is working better, waiting for accel now

for fdti donc cross tx and rx , it's already done on the aruino and the fdti

cts is grounded on the arduino so just put 6 direct wire and it's working (it's work on schredikette too)
tazdevil is offline Find More Posts by tazdevil
Last edited by tazdevil; Jul 01, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:13 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
connecting 1 : 1

http://radio-commande.com/internatio...icopter-design

jürgen
JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:50 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Does this mean I'm not updating as fast as I would with the fake motion+. If so can I expect that my tri won't be as stable as it would be if I had the faster update rate.
Exactly: for this usage the fake are better. But the stability in a normal I2C mode is not so different than in a fast I2C mode. So, not really important.

But all fakes all not allways better
I will post a photo of a bad fake model: impossible to use both of the 2 I received, I2C stops to operate sometimes, even after a good init.

Quote:
yes, no differences except you have to connect the FTDI between the PC and the pro mini.

Quote:
yes, because with a . in the name, IDE generates a odd message difficult to understand.

Quote:
I added a line at the end of my site article:
"Never use the reset button, and never plug USB or FTDI while the tricopter is powered, or the motors will spin at their maximal rate for 1s. Very dangerous !"

Quote:
I remember I already sent it to you. This is a code using the original gyro+acc sensors of aeroquad, not the wii one.

Quote:
Alex code is working better, waiting for accel now
It's good to read this
I spent a lot of time to find good parameters for both stationary and hard maneuvers (auto average loop delay and delta time input in the PID, windup, I cancellation in case of high gyro output, empirical weighted gyro smoothing and average of 2 values with empirical delay between the reads, empirical D smoothing, RC stick exponential, ...)
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:03 PM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Front and back side of a bad Wii Motion Plus copy
Gyros are ok and ADC seems ok

The problem is related to I2C only : the communication is not reliable and can stop working at every time
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:19 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,049 Posts
I know there is a lot of talk about using the copies, but are the newest genuine Wii Motion Plus units still ok to purchase? I'd rather just pick one up from Walmart for $17 bucks then pay 10-12 for a copy and wait for it to get here from China.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wii-Motion...i_sku=11038635
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 01, 2010, 06:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
...Alex code is working better, waiting for accel now...
Good to know but yah, my expert flying skills will need the accel also

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUERGEN_ View Post
...connecting 1 : 1...
Thanks. Looks like the pin labeling on the ProMini or FTDI might be wrong?

Quote:
Front and back side of a bad Wii Motion Plus copy...
If we can compile a list of good Ebay sellers that might help. Jesolins appears to have a good source so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
...but are the newest genuine Wii Motion Plus units still ok to purchase?...
Plug it in and let us know

I guess we can't tell yet if it's the latest motion+ or not untill it's opened up. I got mine from Target and it's the old one with the little metal cased gyro on it But I can't wait to fly it as soon as I replace this blasted motor that had the bad bearing in it
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 01, 2010 at 09:01 PM.