Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Take your time. Glad your safe. I will wait patiently for your results.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
144 Posts
Great watch for DC-3 fans

Featured Documentaries - Risking it all - The daredevil pilots of Colombia (25 min 0 sec)
toddsl is offline Find More Posts by toddsl
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Another great evening for flying here.

Jim
I gotta know what camera your using and how/where you are mounting it. Your aerial pictures how soooo cool!
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
I gotta know what camera your using and how/where you are mounting it. Your aerial pictures how soooo cool!
I have a couple of the little 808 keyfob cameras. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap, and there is an extensive thread here at RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331

They weigh about 20 grams and are actually rather sleek for what we use them for. If you look at the second photo of my C-47 you can see the small black camera mounted on top of the tail. I have also mounted it on the horizontal stab and removed the cockpit/canopy and mounted it on the battery looking to the side. I use a small piece of velcro and sometimes some tape for insurance. They record video, then I just capture any stills I like.

I have used them on my HZ Super Cub, FMS Cessna and this plane. For the price, they add cheap fun to my RC flying.

Container train through St. Albans (2 min 57 sec)

Fall sunset flight near Upper Falls WV (9 min 7 sec)

There are a ton of folks using them and doing it a lot better than I am. I'm still learning and just having some fun.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,651 Posts
While I'm waiting on some new motor shafts, I remembered reading that someone had used some prop adaptors to use other props on this plane.

I looked at my bent shaft and it bent where the threads start, so I cut it off there. I had another identical motor from a crashed plane with the prop bent at the same place. I cut them both off and ran out to my LHS and picked up a couple of E-flite 3mm Collet Prop Adaptors and two MAS 8X6X3 props.

It looks like I'm back in business!

Jim
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
I do that to all of my new ones now. I know they are going to bend or brake. I got about 20 of them and threw them in my junk drawer. Also I ordered some 3mm Stainless rod and use that as the smooth motor shaft for the collets now. It's hard to bend.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:10 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
While I'm waiting on some new motor shafts, I remembered reading that someone had used some prop adaptors to use other props on this plane.

I looked at my bent shaft and it bent where the threads start, so I cut it off there. I had another identical motor from a crashed plane with the prop bent at the same place. I cut them both off and ran out to my LHS and picked up a couple of E-flite 3mm Collet Prop Adaptors and two MAS 8X6X3 props.

It looks like I'm back in business!

Jim
I've done the same thing on most of my Dynam motors with 3mm shafts (GC, C-47, etc.)

Here's another source for 3MM prop adapters, again with $2.00 shipping:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-3.0mm/Detail

They work great. I also use them to adapt APCe 2-blade props to these planes. Just don't over-tighten.

-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:13 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
I do that to all of my new ones now. I know they are going to bend or brake. I got about 20 of them and threw them in my junk drawer. Also I ordered some 3mm Stainless rod and use that as the smooth motor shaft for the collets now. It's hard to bend.
I've done the same things with a few of my Dynam motors with 3mm shafts, although I didn't think of using stainless rod. I just used 3mm music wire stock. Worked OK but still bends under a shock load.

May I ask where you located your 3mm stainless rod material? I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Finally finished the DC3 kit version. Flies very well.
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:12 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Which motors did you use?
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
That looks very nice. I like the trim around the cockpit windscreens.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
I've done the same thing on most of my Dynam motors with 3mm shafts (GC, C-47, etc.)

Here's another source for 3MM prop adapters, again with $2.00 shipping:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-3.0mm/Detail

They work great. I also use them to adapt APCe 2-blade props to these planes. Just don't over-tighten.

-- Rod
Thanks, now I need a source for more scale looking spinners. I may try to drill and tap the original Dynam spinners I have on hand to fit the prop adaptor. And, I can still use the Dynam props by simply reaming the hole to the correct size.

Jim
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
I finely got a nice clear sunny and fairly calm day to take her up for her second flight.
Sunney DC3 Day (3 min 2 sec)
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:27 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Excellent vid, Spookeay! Cam perspective is like a gremlin's-eye view as he's sitting out on the wingtip, waiting for a control horn or set screw to work loose.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
LOL yea if was the other side maybe you would see a very young William Shatner freeking out in the window. I think it was a DC-6 but ,,,, still LOL

Shatner v The Gremlin -- Two Minute Twilight Zone Project -- Nightmare at 20,000 feet (2 min 15 sec)