Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:02 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,763 Posts
Discussion
CX3 3-in-1 Connections

My new BNF CX3 had its 3-in-1 incorrectly connected to the receiver out of the box.

Can anyone tell me where/how the three connectors should be plugged into the receiver. Which plug goes to the throttle channel? Which goes to the rudder channel? What is the proper orientation for each of the three plugs?

E-Flite's documentation only indicates that the connector with the single yellow wire is the gyro gain control. On my CX3, it was grounded, but that won't allow gain control.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:14 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,594 Posts
With only 2 wires needed to fly and connected to the RX you have a 50/50 chances of getting it right or wrong.

Plug each 3 wire servo wire for the 3-1 unit to the RX THROTTLE and RUDDER port and test it out. if it flys then you are good, if not reverse them.

Both 3 wire servo leads will plug in the RX with the black or brown NEG wire nearest the edge of the RX.

Spektrum RX are label - + ~ , the ~ represent the signal wire and this it the one you want to the single yellow HH gyro wire into Channel 5 of gear so that you can adjust with the control knob of the LP5DSM if you are using the stock TX.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:53 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,763 Posts
Thanks, freechip, for trying to help. I had the same idea: shouldn't be that hard to figure out. When the receiver stopped working, I decided it was time to ask for help. I talked to Horizon support today and got the information.

CORRECTED!
For others who may want to know: The yellow wire is the gyro gain control and should be connected to a channel (signal pin), like landing gear, to give remote gain control. The plug with the black wire (gnd) is the THROTTLE control and should go to the throttle channel. The other plug is the RUDDER/YAW (brown is gnd, orange is signal).

My receiver is toast, but now I can check to see if the 3-in-1 is still working.
With the plugs correctly ordered, my 3-in-1 now initializes.

Nick
Last edited by nfhill; Dec 08, 2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Correct plug identification!
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:45 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,594 Posts
LOL, just took a look at the new 3-1 unit http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH2001
And I just saw something very important that you should of notice yourself.

There is only 2 RX leads coming out of the new 3-1 unit other then the battery connector. #1 THROTTLE & #2 RUDDER and the rudder should of been easily ID if you have it in your hand as you do because it contains the HH gyro gain yellow lead. This yellow wire attached the a 3 wire servo lead should of been a good indication thats its the rudder wire.

Thats what happens when you try to help out.

PS: You wont toast a RX by plugging the throttle channel in the rudder and or rudder in the throttle. You probably did something else to toast it.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 08, 2009, 01:01 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,763 Posts
Your thoughts mirror mine. I don't know why the receiver quit. It clearly stopped responding to the transmitter and will not bind. I agree that swapping, or misordering the servo/3-in-1, leads should not dammage the receiver. That was one of the reasons I chose to just reorder the plugs instead of driving it back to the hobby shop. Much quicker and no big deal.

The receiver did initially bind. The pitch & yaw servos were responding with one of the 3-in-1 plugs plugged in. When I plugged in the second 3-in-1 plug, the receiver lost link and started flasing as if it was in bind mode. As it happens, the first 3-in-1 plug that I connected for power was the throttle to the throttle channel. Since then, I, and others, have been unable to get it to bind. At this point, I stopped experimenting.

My initial identification of the plugs was like yours. But, support told me that the 3-wire plug from the cable with the yellow wire is the throttle, not rudder/yaw. Last night I tried that configuration and the 3-in-1 wouldn't initialize. This morning, I swapped the two 3-in-1 leads and the 3-in-1 did initialize. So the support guy was wrong. I'm goint to edit my last post to correct the plug identification.

Thanks again for your help.

Nick