SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by TScott1118
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
Build Log
RO8 2 meter e-sailplane

This is a real cool looking sailplane. I looks so sleek, and the lightening holes give it a look unlike any other sailplane I own. Plus, with a little electric motor mod it will be easy to fly at the school yards by my house.

It was designed by Dick Odle and, being an older design, it is right up my alley.

It calls for epoxy, CA, and baking soda. Oh, and regular wood glue too. I've never built with baking soda, but I'm up for the challenge

I found the plans on Outerzone, and the instructions here on RCGROUPS.
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
I knew cutting the ribs would be a lot of work, so I found a company Balsa Workbench, http://www.balsaworkbench.com. Rob, the owner of the company, did an excellent job.

Next up I cut the remaining parts. There's not very many parts. This helped t keep the cost of the project down. That's a good thing

Here's the finished "kit".
Old May 14, 2015, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
I'm starting with the wing. You've gotta start somewhere. Right?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by Roy_N
United States, WA, Burien
Joined May 2014
60 Posts
Many years ago I built one of the first kits for the RO8. Hand launching, I broke the fuse right at the step for the pod. If I build another I would carbon fiber the fuse side panel at the step before i built the fuse. Hopefully the additional carbon fiber reinforcement in this spot would help prevent the fuse from breaking.
Roy_N is online now Find More Posts by Roy_N
Old May 15, 2015, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Joined Apr 2005
472 Posts
[QUOTE=TScott1118;31625709 ....

It calls for epoxy, CA, and baking soda. Oh, and regular wood glue too. I've never built with baking soda, but I'm up for the challenge

[/QUOTE]

Looking forward for this one!

CA and baking soda? Used that on my Wanderer some (many?) years ago. Leave the baking soda in the kitchen and just use gap filling CA.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old May 15, 2015, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
Looking forward for this one!

CA and baking soda? Used that on my Wanderer some (many?) years ago. Leave the baking soda in the kitchen and just use gap filling CA.
Ha!

I also used baking soda on a Wanderer in 1976. It is a bit brittle, so I began sanding scrap balsa and saving the sawdust in baggies to use in place of the baking soda.
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old May 15, 2015, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_N View Post
Many years ago I built one of the first kits for the RO8. Hand launching, I broke the fuse right at the step for the pod. If I build another I would carbon fiber the fuse side panel at the step before i built the fuse. Hopefully the additional carbon fiber reinforcement in this spot would help prevent the fuse from breaking.
I appreciate you telling me that. I will definitely beef up the fuse sides in that area.

So it sounds like baking soda may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think I will experiment on some balsa scraps and try to determine if it provides any strength.

Tonight I cut all of the shear webs. One thing I do like about Mr. Odle's building technique is how he glues the shear webs. Usually I get glue all over everything when I put them in, but he says to tack them in place with CA and then go back and add wood glue filets over the joints. Two times, no less. I assume the glue will seep in and make a strong joint. So I am going to follow his instructions on the shear webs. It's his design, so he oughta know. Right?

Old May 15, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Fravits
Joined Nov 2006
475 Posts
I remember using baking soda to get CA to kick off back when it was new to the modeling world. Now days, a spritz of accelerator is far less messy. It has been years since I have seen a RO-8 and the last one i saw was finished up with Japanese tissue. Very pretty and oh so light. I got the Outerzone plans too, and put them on the pile of sailplanes that have to be gotten to. Think it is about #8 in the stack.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old May 15, 2015, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
From his article, it assumed he was using the baking soda to add strength. But you are saying that it was used for an accelerant. Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Here's the page where he talks about using basking soda. Look under the Construction Notes heading.....
Old May 16, 2015, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
I think I will add some thin ply doublers in the step area of the fuse, as Roy suggested. Or maybe carbon fiber. Still trying to decide. I cut some doublers in case I go that route.

The poly joints are all setting up. Next up the dihedral joint. Things are moving along quickly. Can't wait to fly this one. Of course the weather has not permitted any flying at all for a few weekends now.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott1118 View Post
From his article, it assumed he was using the baking soda to add strength. But you are saying that it was used for an accelerant. Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Here's the page where he talks about using basking soda. Look under the Construction Notes heading.....
It's a little bit of all of them. In the days before micro balloons and "kicker" and even medium or thick CA; one could use baking soda for less than perfect joints or joints that would need to be sanded. The accelerated curing time was mostly considered a lucky bonus until one figured out that you could drizzle on a little baking soda and the whole works would kick off in a cloud of smoke.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old May 17, 2015, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,191 Posts
Suscription to this thread..., tx a lot for sharing your build Tom and taking note for maybe one day build the second RO8 on my life...
Actually absolutly I agree with other buddies..., with medium or low curing ciano and acelerators really there is not any need for the use of baking soda as the first, heroic times....
Maybe the only mod that personally will do is a two or three wing pieces for easier transport and storing... carbon rods should be OK and not add too much weigh.. the airfoil is the same as the Blaine Rawdon´s; ( now Isthmus Models ) Mirage, and the idea is to use that kind of airfoil in a very light wing loading for good thermalling performance and have penetration for windy days or smoke when a little nose down were added...
Best regards mate, and keep us showing your fine artwork.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old May 17, 2015, 10:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
Thank you, Manolo.
Seems like the consensus is to leave the baking soda in the kitchen. We use baking soda for everything BUT baking. It's great For keeping the garbage disposal smelling fresh, and the fridge too. Even works to clean up pet urine from carpet. I have learned that it is a good ca kicker. So if I ever need a kicker, I know what to use.

Today I got the wing halves joined, and started on the turbonators (sp). I couldn't find any 3/32" x 1/8" sticks, so I filed a bit off of 1/8" sticks so they would fit in the grooves in the ribs. Then I ran out of sticks so it's off to the hobby shop tomorrow.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,486 Posts
The turbinators, or whatever you call them, are done. Then I made the 1/4" wing tips. The instructions call for two layers of wood glue gussets on all of the joints, so I loaded up the syringe with glue and continued to apply glue. The good thing about wood glue is that it adds virtually no weight.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by Roy_N
United States, WA, Burien
Joined May 2014
60 Posts
If you haven't built the fuse, I'd replace the doublers you made with ones that are full height of the side of the fuse and have a radius where the fuse sides have the 90 degree cut. This will make a narrow space where you would place your finger for a hand launch, but with radiused sides on the fuse, you won't need to worry about your finger sliding sideways off of the step.
Roy_N is online now Find More Posts by Roy_N