HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
Noosa, Queensland. Australia
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
Question
Bungee choice - High Start Vs catapult

I am planning to buy a bungee for low wind days. I have been looking at the Hosemonster bungees. I will be initially launching a flying wing (Wowings Duck).
I am confused about the different applications and pros/cons of the highstart 100' bungee Vs a 25' catapult style bungee.
Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
drcuzo is offline Find More Posts by drcuzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcuzo
I am planning to buy a bungee for low wind days. I have been looking at the Hosemonster bungees. I will be initially launching a flying wing (Wowings Duck).
I am confused about the different applications and pros/cons of the highstart 100' bungee Vs a 25' catapult style bungee.
Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Sailplanes and/or any high aspect ratio (long wing) airplane HATE quick and violent launches. A 25' catapult is for a glass reinforced foam flying wings OR EDF foam jets, etc. Anything with short, stubby wings.

Highstarts, while sill lively; are the preferred way to build launch velocity and altitude on a sailplane without rapidly overstressing the airframe...Besides a winch of course.

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:00 AM
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
Thanks Sean
That makes perfect sense to me.
Steve
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:18 PM
Permanently Banned
Dallas TX
Joined Oct 2004
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief
Sailplanes and/or any high aspect ratio (long wing) airplane HATE quick and violent launches. A 25' catapult is for a glass reinforced foam flying wings OR EDF foam jets, etc. Anything with short, stubby wings.

Highstarts, while sill lively; are the preferred way to build launch velocity and altitude on a sailplane without rapidly overstressing the airframe...Besides a winch of course.

-Sean
High start worked well with the Rubber Duck plank. !/6 hp winch would make it vibrate like mad.
histarter is offline Find More Posts by histarter
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,568 Posts
Quote:

-Sean

This is not quite correct. Any sailplane can be zip started (what you consider a quick/violent launch), as long as the plane is strong enough. I have routinely used a short, strong zip start for over 10 years to get most of my planes to about 50-100' depending on wind. Its great practice for competitive soaring to start from these altitudes. This includes older, wooden designs like a Challenger (144" span), Grand Esprit (137" span) and Aguila Grande up to moldies such as Supra, Psyko, Onyx, etc.
You can use the same thing for wings, underpowered electrics (which need airspeed up front), etc.

Its all about experience and technique.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by histarter
High start worked well with the Rubber Duck plank. !/6 hp winch would make it vibrate like mad.
Please go crawl back into your own little hole and don't infect yet another thread with your drivel.
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,189 Posts
Tigger beim Flitschen mit 200m? (1 min 23 sec)
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
thanks for the advise everyone.

amazing launch Richard, I can't wait to get a bungee

steve
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:55 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I have a practice bungee, 200 feet of line, and 25 feet of rubber, and I launch my K2 light, Skybird, and Topaz from it all the time, its not a flat horizontal launch like the video above, its like a winch launch, and you even get to do a little ping off the top if its done right.

When they do the bungee's like in the video, are they putting the tow hook way forward?

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
Quote:

-Sean
No, not really. I have a 25' section of Hosemonster 1/2" rubber with about 75' of 50 pound mono. This is a standard set up for those that want to practice landings. Entirely technique driven, you are trying to maintain as much stretch in the line as you can, then you do a very quick dive and zoom, really just a blip. You can get about 150-200' if you do it right. Any plane set up for a winch can do this maneuver. I can even do this with my Bird of Time, I just can't go so "deep in the bucket" on the zoom.

Go to any big contest on a Friday night and you'll see several set ups on the field. At Visalia last fall I think I counted 6 "upstarts" Friday night.

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Go to Bunnings and get yourself 10 metres of the heaviest shock cord. Its about $2.50 a metre.
Sloping at Noosa is awesome. Try Sunshine beach (as far north as you can go) in a SE and Sunrise (Hangglider take off) in an east.
There are some awesome spots around the National Park I am yet to try. Id love to give Lion Rocks/Hells Gate or the Fairy pool a crack in cyclone season.
You will have no trouble launching your chevron. Start with your tow hook about 2 or 3 cm in front of the CG and keep pulling each launch further back untill you get flutter then next launch dont go quite that far back, then you will be achieving max launch speed.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2006
9 Posts
I replaced my wore out high start with a old exercise bike. It will launch my Spirt to the Bird of Time no problem. I changed the wheel over to a old 20" bike wheel. I have about 1200 Ft. of line so I can fly at many sites. In the normal wind we fly in, I hardly have to pedal at all to launch. I put wheels on it, so I don't have to carry it. If something should go wrong launching, all you have to do is stop pedaling, unlike the high start you can't stop the rubber from pulling. Anyway, it works for me.
uproar is offline Find More Posts by uproar
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
great idea Uproar, I'd love to see a Vid of you launching.
Thanks Steve