HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
This kind of question just bugs me......

"Is this or that simulator realistic?"

This question just makes no sense at all. What does make sense is to ask "Does this airplane/heli offered for this simulator fly realistically?"

The same model in one sim may fly totally unrealistically but in a different sim it may fly beautifully, just like the real thing.

All the major sims (and some of the free one's) are capable of very good simulations but if the model programmer doesn't do a good job or know what they're doing the results can be horrible.

I fly a Raptor 30 in both Reflex and Realflight and they fly very much the same, very realistically. Then there is one of the Coronas offered for Reflex and the BLT parkflyer in Realflight which are just plain bad (in my opinion).

To me the thing to look out for is whether or not the sim provides the viewpoints that are most realistic for you. In this regard, I think Realflight with it's "Ground View" wins hands down. It provides the best situational awarness of them all.

P.S. I have and use all the sims except CSM and Ripmax.

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2004, 06:30 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
In the real world, similar models can be set up and fly very differently. I have flown models set up and flown by other pilots, as well as my own - even the same model with a simple power system change - and the results are very, very different. It feels like a different model althogher. It would be impossible to model any of those setups exactly in a simulator, and what feels "right" for one person may be wrong for another.
Simulators are great for learning the basics of the controls, or practicing the basic of aerobatics, for example, but I would never use them to determine how a "real" model is going to fly.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 09, 2004, 11:45 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
<snip> It would be impossible to model any of those setups exactly in a simulator, and what feels "right" for one person may be wrong for another. <snip>
Andy W,

That's so true. The nice thing about a simulators engine and how it exposes the actual model flight characteristics is that you can adjust the model to fly like your own. That said, you'll need to become almost as expert at the simulators modeling as a real life model.

You'll need to know how to adjust CG, change props, adjust wing angle, adjust horiz. stab angle, change motor thrust values and amp draws and other things.

The new .par file in FMS 2 Alpha 8 has very good adjustment features far better than version 2 beta 7. When building a sim model and its .par file, you follow much the same methods as building a real world counter part.

So learn your SIM and make the closest model you can to the one you fly. Then have at it virtually or in real life.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2004, 04:34 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
but I would never use them to determine how a "real" model is going to fly.
..a

No, a sim is never going to be able to replicate an actual model's characteristics very well. Way too many variables, and as you say, even two versions of the same model in real life can act very differently depending on build and setup.
But you can use a sim to see how a rud/elev plane handles in comparison to one with ailerons. Or, how a high wing trainer flies in comparison to a low wing fighter.

My 7 year old can tool around in the sim with a trainer, because it self rights. He has trouble, though, with the low wingers. This would correspond to real life.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Sep 12, 2004, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
One use of a simulator that Andy has aluded to is using it to try different configurations and set-ups. This is where realistic simulation is essential and useful parameters need to be included for the modeler. I really can't speak for the other simulators but I have done quite a bit of design work using Realflight and find it to be pretty good in that respect.

As far as a real model varying all over the map, it takes a really experienced and sophisticated flyer to be able to indentify the differences. Most flyers get to fly only one of a given type of model, the one they built.

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:38 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankF
<snip> Most flyers get to fly only one of a given type of model, the one they built. Hank
Exactly! So the only way a sim model will fly like yours is for you to build it.

Otherwise, expect it to be a little different and also expect to learn how to modify the sim model to more closely approximate your own experience.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member