SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:16 PM
building season is here.
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
937 Posts
Help!
Rudder screw

What should I use to keep this (on the bottom of the AVA pro rudder) screw from getting loose? I keep snugging g it up, I've even tried loctite but still working its self loose.

Thanks
seaspb is offline Find More Posts by seaspb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,528 Posts
I would just use better fitted Loctite, or a tab of goop should do as well??
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:19 PM
building season is here.
Joined Nov 2008
937 Posts
i'm somewhat concerned about this because when it works itself loose the surface develops slop but when i get it too snug the surface becomes sticky and starts double centering.

is anyone else having this with their AVA?

I have used purple and blue loctite, a very small drop of blue as i didn't want to seize/fuse the thing together.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 08:14 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
Same issue on the Supra Pro Comps. Remove the screw, a drop of lube in the thread, I used vaseline, and screw the screw almost home. Leave it about a half turn loose. Then a drop of 5 min epoxy on the head of the screw and onto the epoxy board to secure it. The rudder will continue to rotate on the screw threads.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:47 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
You might add a couple of notches into the edge of the screw head Sam, so that the epoxy can have a place to mechanically keep the screw head from rotating.
Sounds like an easy fix suggested by lester.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:45 PM
building season is here.
Joined Nov 2008
937 Posts
I discovered the real issue today the hole where the screw gets thru is sloppy I installed a plastic bushing and loctite it's working true again. The whole time I thought it was working it self loose.

Thanks for the input guys.