HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2014
290 Posts
So what is the verdict on the 350 QX3? Better than the two version before it? Same? Worse? What?
macnoodle is online now Find More Posts by macnoodle
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Mar 2014
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepala1961 View Post
Hi Folks,

I've been enjoying the heck out of my 350QX. Here's the deal - I want to have a small but long range FPV system on it... figure 2 kilometers. I don't want goggles, just a tiny screen I can mount on my TX. I know fatshark goggles rock and all but I just want a bare bones fpv with good range capability.

What do you guys recommend??

Thanks folks!

Pete
I'd recommend a different platform that can have a better receiver installed to reach the 2km range you are hoping for.

I have flown my 350QX to its max range with FPV (ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 250mW and 600mW vtx), and I'm quite sure I wasn't even 1km out before RTH kicked in. Of course video was still solid at this range.

There has been some guys that have drilled a small hole on the bottom of there 350QX and stuck the small copper antenna through it to try and increase the range. I'm sure this would only buy you 200-300m more I'd guess though.

I know you said you don't want goggles, but the Fatshark Dom V2's really are great FPV goggles with PVR built in. I love mine, and highly recommend them.
SVTHotchkiss is online now Find More Posts by SVTHotchkiss
Old Today, 01:17 AM
Joined Sep 2013
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytucker2 View Post
I wonder if quads are all hype, and these blogs are posted by shills (sellers pretending to be users) . . . after trying about a $1000 and getting nothing to work, I feel the technology isnt ready yet. firmware after firmware failure . . . absolutely nothing worked- I got a horrible virus- tried latest windows - multiple computers, gave away and sold everything . . . local hobby store said the same, go with a ready built blade 350, but but but type "fly aways" on line . . . check youtube, etc . . . they fly away and only apparent success stories appear to be paid representitives.
Not sure I totally follow you. My 350 QX2 has been great - for what it is... I wonder if some peoples' complaints are mostly down to unrealistic expectations ("I want it to fly 1km away with a Go Pro with wifi connection and live feed on my Iphone and fly itself with 30-minute flight-time etc.."), and maybe some of the fly-away issues are related to that even... Maybe some people expect quads to be magic or something? But if you approach them as what they are - fairly complex machines that you have to actually fly and have a half a clue about, I don't see the issue... Maybe mine will up and fly away next time out. But so far - 25-30 flights it's done exactly what it was supposed to. And it's got plenty of performance in it for me to work up to.... Especially for the sale price recently, it's an awesome package IMO.

It seems, for a really good AP platform, it might not be best, and/or will require a fair bit of money invested into it. But that goes for all of them from what I can tell so far..
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Today, 02:48 AM
The spinny thing points up!
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2014
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTHotchkiss View Post
I'd recommend a different platform that can have a better receiver installed to reach the 2km range you are hoping for.
That. My V1 (admittedly, before they improved the RX on the V2) ran out of control range and initiated auto-land at 1440ft direct-line range. My video with an Immersion 250mw VTX and a VAS 3-turn helical on my Dominators was still crystal-clear when it started descending, with no interference at all until it dropped behind two rows of houses.

I'd guessed that I could get a half-mile from the DX6 and the 350 before it ran out of range... oops!
Komitadjie is offline Find More Posts by Komitadjie
Old Today, 03:35 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Mar 2014
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komitadjie View Post
That. My V1 (admittedly, before they improved the RX on the V2) ran out of control range and initiated auto-land at 1440ft direct-line range. My video with an Immersion 250mw VTX and a VAS 3-turn helical on my Dominators was still crystal-clear when it started descending, with no interference at all until it dropped behind two rows of houses.

I'd guessed that I could get a half-mile from the DX6 and the 350 before it ran out of range... oops!
I only have a 350QX V1 flown with Dx6i, and the range is not that great on it.

I've flown 3kms with 5.8Ghz 600mW ImmersionRC vtx with solid video. I used a 5.8ghz TrueRC Snipe antenna for receiver and a skew planar wheel on the transmitter. Oh, and I used Dragonlink for RC control.

Matrix-S 3.1km Flight (13 min 10 sec)

Unfortunately I don't have the PVR footage posted.
Old Today, 03:50 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2014
304 Posts
so Dragon link is pretty good stuff then huh?
armenvegas is online now Find More Posts by armenvegas
Old Today, 04:43 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Mar 2014
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenvegas View Post
so Dragon link is pretty good stuff then huh?
Dragonlink is amazing!! Depending on your setup, you can go 20-30kms with Dragonlink some have gone even further!