SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 06, 2014, 02:34 PM
Registered User
Shung's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,349 Posts
Ok guys..

Today I went to my new club airfield and tried taxing and flying with my 1100mm p-47 (PZ) and I wasn't able to roll at all.. Seems like the grass was a little to high...

I think I will have to fly my 1450mm mustang and maiden her if I want to fly at this place until they mow it down...

So, what are your best pieces of advices about flying this plane. Keep in mind that so far I have only flown 1100mm warbirds (parkzones, durafly's,) without too many trouble, but from a narrow paved road.

Now I get a big a$$ airfield! but it's grass and not very very short yet. But it's nice and flat without bounces.

What about the airplane ? Will it behave similarly to my smaller Warbird ?

I habe read and understood that I need to fly her with more power in final at landing.. Except that, any other tip or things I should absolutely know about before taking her up ?

I'll be flying a P-51B v8 with 3600 batteries and a dx7s.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Shung is offline Find More Posts by Shung
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:58 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post
Ok guys..

Today I went to my new club airfield and tried taxing and flying with my 1100mm p-47 (PZ) and I wasn't able to roll at all.. Seems like the grass was a little to high...

I think I will have to fly my 1450mm mustang and maiden her if I want to fly at this place until they mow it down...

So, what are your best pieces of advices about flying this plane. Keep in mind that so far I have only flown 1100mm warbirds (parkzones, durafly's,) without too many trouble, but from a narrow paved road.

Now I get a big a$$ airfield! but it's grass and not very very short yet. But it's nice and flat without bounces.

What about the airplane ? Will it behave similarly to my smaller Warbird ?

I habe read and understood that I need to fly her with more power in final at landing.. Except that, any other tip or things I should absolutely know about before taking her up ?

I'll be flying a P-51B v8 with 3600 batteries and a dx7s.

Thanks a lot for your help !
I haven't flown my new D model yet, but I have flown my B model from our grass field with no issues. The plane is large enough to handle the grass and the odd bump here and there.

I can't compare it to any PZ plane except the Wildcat. I think the FMS P-51 is head and shoulders above the PZ Wildcat in flying characteristics and looks. The P-51 is much more stable and as long as you keep some power on and fly it down to the runway it lands like a dream.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:26 PM
Registered User
Shung's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,349 Posts
Thank you.

Is the recommended CoG just fine ?
Shung is offline Find More Posts by Shung
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:05 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
I went with the suggested CG on mine, with just a touch of weight added to the nose as I like my planes a wee bit nose heavy.
Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:00 AM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick View Post
Great! Would you say a 540kv motor with shims and a 580 kv without since the are about the same power draw translate to about the same speed?

If anything I would think the 540 setup would be faster but the 580 better for climb/acceleration. Lower pitch angle being like in a lower car gear. Works that way in the big birds with varying prop pitch angles.
580kv will get you a good amount more vertical and about 8mph more in speed. I've not flown the prop shim mod on the 540 in quite a while so I can't directly compare.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Shung's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,349 Posts
those V8 landing gear and oleo struts work like a charm !

2nd flight after my maiden, today ! go buy your V8 !!!

FMS P- 51B patterns (3 min 7 sec)
Shung is offline Find More Posts by Shung
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Rogue232's Avatar
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2005
196 Posts
Anyone know of anyplace that sells just the plastic housing for the V8 landing gear? I've been looking around and haven't been able to find just the housing. I've fixed them to where they will work, but I know it will be a matter of time before they fail again.
This was not a product failure, but a bad takeoff attempt which let to me hitting a curb.
Anyway, I would rather not have to buy a full set of retracts when they still work, but have cracked/damaged housings.
Thanks for any help!
Rogue232 is offline Find More Posts by Rogue232
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:08 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Sandancer's Avatar
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue232 View Post
Anyone know of anyplace that sells just the plastic housing for the V8 landing gear? I've been looking around and haven't been able to find just the housing. I've fixed them to where they will work, but I know it will be a matter of time before they fail again.
This was not a product failure, but a bad takeoff attempt which let to me hitting a curb.
Anyway, I would rather not have to buy a full set of retracts when they still work, but have cracked/damaged housings.
Thanks for any help!
I can't recall anyone selling just the plastic strut housing pieces?

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:04 PM
love to fly, hate to crash
John.G's Avatar
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
481 Posts
Well I just pushed the order botton for the FMS P-51D Mustang V8 Red Tail 1450mm (57") Wingspan - PNP. I miss the scale war birds and have had a couple of the FMS planes in the past and they are very nice planes. I ordered from Motion RC and am having it sent to my nephew so I can clear it myself and save a few bucks as well get a visit in with the family. Question and when I ordered it it showed in stock and right after I checked the siteand it showed up as out of stock. Maybe they only had one in stock and I'm getting the last one I don't know. I also ordered some spair props just in case. From what you guys have said Motion RC stands behind there products they sell which is always nice to see and here. I order the V8 one and was wondering if I shouldn't have order the 6 secound delay for the gear or does it come with it as I was a little confused with what has been said on here as to which model has what and what is needed. Anyways guys I'll be in the group once I have my hands on it, as long as I was able to get the last one. Tired of all the snow and am looking forward to the nice long days of summer flying with my buddies. John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:13 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Version 8 planes come with the new lading gear including the sequencer that closes the inner doors once the gear is down.

You'll like it.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:22 PM
love to fly, hate to crash
John.G's Avatar
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
481 Posts
Thanks Jim, I know the sequencer comes with the newest V8 type of P51 but wasn't sure if it was the 6 second one or the 3 second one. After watching the video on Motion RC I wasn't sure which one came with the V8 P51. Can you tell me which it is so I know if possable. I won't be flying this one for a few months as we are still under a foot of snow and they are calling for more next week. Thanks, John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:04 PM
Registered User
Rogue232's Avatar
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2005
196 Posts
The V8 comes with the 6 second sequencer and updated slow retracts.
Rogue232 is offline Find More Posts by Rogue232
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:54 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Sandancer's Avatar
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.G View Post
Thanks Jim, I know the sequencer comes with the newest V8 type of P51 but wasn't sure if it was the 6 second one or the 3 second one. After watching the video on Motion RC I wasn't sure which one came with the V8 P51. Can you tell me which it is so I know if possable. I won't be flying this one for a few months as we are still under a foot of snow and they are calling for more next week. Thanks, John
If you paid $299.99 for the plane, it IS the V8 with the 6 sec. sequencer and the new FMS E-Tracts. Whereas the V7 is now listed at $242.99 with the PZ-514s which deploy at a faster rate, and the 3 sec. sequencer.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Mar 07, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:04 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
580kv will get you a good amount more vertical and about 8mph more in speed. I've not flown the prop shim mod on the 540 in quite a while so I can't directly compare.
I just finally put it all together and doing a little testing. I didn't have much time to experiment with the power setup but with an almost full battery I read 67amps! I'll do more testing tomorrow with a full battery to make sure my 540 prop modded setup is below 70.
goodstick is offline Find More Posts by goodstick
Last edited by goodstick; Mar 07, 2014 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2014, 01:46 AM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.G View Post
Well I just pushed the order botton for the FMS P-51D Mustang V8 Red Tail 1450mm (57") Wingspan - PNP. I miss the scale war birds and have had a couple of the FMS planes in the past and they are very nice planes. I ordered from Motion RC and am having it sent to my nephew so I can clear it myself and save a few bucks as well get a visit in with the family. Question and when I ordered it it showed in stock and right after I checked the siteand it showed up as out of stock. Maybe they only had one in stock and I'm getting the last one I don't know. I also ordered some spair props just in case. From what you guys have said Motion RC stands behind there products they sell which is always nice to see and here. I order the V8 one and was wondering if I shouldn't have order the 6 secound delay for the gear or does it come with it as I was a little confused with what has been said on here as to which model has what and what is needed. Anyways guys I'll be in the group once I have my hands on it, as long as I was able to get the last one. Tired of all the snow and am looking forward to the nice long days of summer flying with my buddies. John
Thanks for your order John. You did indeed get our last V8 Red Tail P-51D. We have a container with more of them arriving Monday or Tuesday. The V8 does indeed have the 6 second sequencer which closes the landing gear doors. All V8 require the 6 second sequencer because of the new retracts which operate at a slower speed.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMS P-51 V8 or V9's? rcplanenoob78 Electric Warbirds 26 Oct 21, 2014 10:04 PM
Discussion FMS & Max Thrust P-51 apriliamgt Electric Warbirds 5 Jun 16, 2013 03:20 PM
Wanted Bubble canopy for FMS Spit XVI project (P-51,P-47,Durafly Spit etc...) 68Strat Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Jun 03, 2013 10:00 PM
Discussion Battery Adapter Needed For FMS P-51 Mustang ver. 7 LNLP Batteries and Chargers 0 Apr 01, 2013 07:02 PM
Help! Setting up 3 pos. flaps on my 1400mm FMS P-51 wks01954 Electric Warbirds 0 Mar 28, 2013 04:54 PM