HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, KY, Alexandria
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Help!
Batteries in the winter....

How do I keep my batteries from getting cold and losing flight time while flying in the cold weather? Any suggestions?
nadami28 is offline Find More Posts by nadami28
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,371 Posts
1) Make sure that they're warm (between ~70-90F) prior to flight and block airflow in your models to prevent heat loss. Also wrapping batteries in insulating foam can be extremely effective.

2) Move further south.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Hoppy needs to add a cold weather section to the sticky because these questions just keep getting asked over and over again.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Hoppy needs to add a cold weather section to the sticky because these questions just keep getting asked over and over again.
Agreed, but that's assuming people actually check the stickys before posting. OP, please don't take that personally; it's just that those of us that have been here for a long time are happy to help but wish people would either search and/or check the stickys before posting questions.

As Mark said, keep it in your car, a pocket, etc., until right before flying. Cold isn't harmful to LiPos but they do but out a lot less power until warmed. You run the risk of triggering LVC right at takeoff with a cold battery.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Charging to over 4.1V per cell below 50F has proven harmful to them as well as operating them at high outputs when cold. Some refere to the results of flying them hard when cold as winter kill.

As mentioned above warm them up ,reduce airflow available to them in flight etc.. With flate plate foamies I used envelops made from approx. 1/16" thick foam such as used for packaging / protection. I have a 12V DC cooler / warmer that I use to preheat mine to around 90F. Some use a rice bag ,some use chemical hand / feet warmers some use the tire warmers that RC racers use.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,058 Posts
Here's the foam baggies like Charles uses. Just Scotch taped together with Velcro to hold the flap closed and Velcroed to the side of the profile fuse. I also use a bigger prop in the cold to make the batt run warmer. The denser air in the winter is also a big plus with the bigger prop for better performance. Also made these Mickey Mouse skis copied off the DC3 skis with the wings on the back from the TV series from Buffalo Airways. Work very well without wire or rubbers. Sort of Rub Goldburgish but worth it. Just got 14 in. of snow last night so had to install them quick.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:32 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
438 Posts
Charles:

What's the brand of the 12V DC cooler / warmer you are using? It sounds like a good tool.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Purchased mine at FRED's ( has thier name on the box) for $29.95 around 7 years ago. It hold 12 caned beverages. It came with a 120VAC to 12V DC power supply and auto cord .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:54 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,371 Posts
A friend of mine bought the Roadpro from Amazon a few years ago and is very pleased with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Liter-.../dp/B000YS9P54

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:51 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
438 Posts
These sound like just the ticket for winter, if they warm like everydayflyer's and cool. The number of days above 95 degrees F or even 100 degrees is too many in Oklahoma.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars