HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Discussion
Electrix Boost Buggy

Hi, I very recently got into the RC car scene, and I purchased the Electrix Boost buggy. I don't plan on racing it or anything.. Just wanted to have some fun jumping it in the yard and stuff. It's already pretty quick for only being a hundred bucks. I went ahead and got a 7.4 lipo for it.

I was wondering about other upgrades I could do to this little buggy.. Anyone know of a brushless motor that would fit on it without any modifications..?
I read on a forum about this 15 turn motor from electrix. It's supposed to bump up the speed a little, but a brushless would probably give it more speed (as long as it doesn't strip the gears.. )

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this car?
justin144 is offline Find More Posts by justin144
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
How about this setup? http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-10-5t-3650-3200kv-xerun-60a-led.html
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
That's not bad, but it's not worth the price for it IMO.

There are more budget friendly systems out there, and for that money you can get a name brand setup.

Budget: http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html

Name brand: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...X-Motor-3900kV
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's not bad, but it's not worth the price for it

Budget: http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html
Sweet! Nice find. Do you know if that will motor will directly bolt onto my Boost Buggy? Also, what is the program card? I come from the rc plane world, and have never heard of that
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:07 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
The program card is to program the ESC settings easily. That motor will bolt right in, but you'll probably need a different pinion gear to get the gearing right.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2011
45 Posts
I disagree with the statement that Hobbywing stuff isn't name-brand. I'd say it's about on the same level as Duratrax stuff, but more likely even better. If you would compare with the likes of a Hacker or Castle setup, then I would agree that those are higher quality, but definitely not Duratrax, and that Leopard isn't even on the same level. Hobbywing has been established for quite some time with generally good reviews. As a matter of fact, I have some of their stuff and it is quite reliable.
That said, I wouldn't go with an xerun setup for bashing if you do go Hobbywing, you can go with one of their cheaper unsensored ezrun models, some of which you can get for right over $100. Don't get me wrong, that Leopard system seems to be decent for the price especially since it isn't a very expensive buggy you have so I would find it hard to justify anything too expensive for it, although I would look into some reviews before I'd go for that brand.
Then, there is that 15 turn motor, which frankly I wouldn't even get from Electrix. Since the ESC turn limit is 12 turns, I would first look on ebay for a 13 or 14 turn modified brushed motor (you don't want to go too close to the turn limit) and a nice pinion set, since that option would give you a nice amount of speed and you could test different pinion combos to get good speed without overheating. This option would probably run you about $25 if you buy motor and pinions. Good luck.
Laz59 is offline Find More Posts by Laz59
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
FYI, Duratrax is made by Castle.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:18 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
FYI, Duratrax is made by Castle.
Exactly, definitely a higher quality than the hobbywing stuff.

Not knocking hobbywing, but I'd take a Castle system over hobbywing for the same price.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz59 View Post
I would look into some reviews before I'd go for that brand...
I would first look on ebay for a 13 or 14 turn modified brushed motor (you don't want to go too close to the turn limit) and a nice pinion set, since that option would give you a nice amount of speed and you could test different pinion combos to get good speed without overheating...
I did look at some of the reviews on the Leopard system and they all seemed pretty good. Unfortunately, I cant seem to find that system in stock ANYWHERE.

I wouldn't be against getting some cheapo system on eBay because, like you said, the car was only a measly hundred bucks. Though, I seriously JUST got into this hobby and don't know a whole lot about matching up motors/pinions/ESCs.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
I did manage to find the Leopard system on eBay just now.. I found the same system with 9T-13T.
I'm trying to do a little studying on what exactly the 'number of turns' means and basically have come to: the lower the number of turns, the higher the power of the motor but a lower RPM.

Any of you have advice on the number of 'turns' I should get? Sorry, I'm a total noob.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2011
45 Posts
Didn't know that about the Duratrax, in which case if it is made by Castle (and if they make it with the same QC as their other stuff), then yea that Duratrax is at a good price.

As for matching a brushed motor, for your ESC you can't go lower than 12 turns unless you want it to burn up, and truthfully you shouldn't go lower than 13 turns. As for pinions, you would usually lower around 1-2 teeth per turn you decrease on the motor as a starting point and then just experiment and check motor temperature/speed, which is why I recommended an assortment of pinions. It is true that on brushed motors, lower turns mean higher rpm and lower torque, but in my experience, if you go with a modified motor (the ones you can disassemble, open endbell) over 12 turns, then you will be fine in an off road vehicle as long as the gearing is in the ballpark. As I said before, I would go with a 13 or 14 turn brushed in your current situation if that's what you want to do.

Now brushless motors aren't measured in turns, but rather in kV (kilovolts), which roughly translates to RPM per volt fed through the motor and has nothing to do with turns on the motor. Many manufacturers also give you a turn number though, which is an approximation of what the motor would compare to a brushed motor. For brushless motors, you'll need a whole setup, which means ESC and motor since a brushless ESC won't drive a brushed motor and vice versa (but there are ESC's that do both, which I wouldn't recommend for you anyway). Also, if you do buy a brushless system, for your buggy, I wouldn't go too extreme (high kV) since you can end up with something that'll break constantly or be undrinkable. So, a 9 to 11-turn equivalent system should give you a lot of speed, and brushless systems have more torque than an equivalent low turn motor, which is one of the reasons they're such a good option. But, if you want a more drivable buggy, I would go closer to 11 or 12-turn equivalent setups.

Keep in mind, that with any decision you make, you're going to need to change pinions and maybe your spur gear if you want to use it to its true potential, although if you don't with the brushless system, it shouldn't be at such a high risk of overheating than just swapping a lower turn motor with your current setup.

Hope that helps!
Laz59 is offline Find More Posts by Laz59
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin144 View Post
I did manage to find the Leopard system on eBay just now.. I found the same system with 9T-13T.
I'm trying to do a little studying on what exactly the 'number of turns' means and basically have come to: the lower the number of turns, the higher the power of the motor but a lower RPM.

Any of you have advice on the number of 'turns' I should get? Sorry, I'm a total noob.
I have the 10T in my old stadium truck (Losi XXT) that I use for parking lot bashing, and it's way faster (at least 50% faster) than the 17T brushed motor I used to have in it back when I raced it (back in the mid 90's).

The 10T is 3930kv which is a pretty good range to be in.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Sweet. Definitely a lot to think about. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
So using the 10T is 3930kv brushless system, can someone recommend the change in pinion/spur gear size? The stock setup is a 20T brushed motor with 20 tooth pinion gear and I'm not sure what the spur size is..

I know I will need a set of pinions to test everything out and check the motor temp, but can someone give me an idea of what size pinions/spur to go with? My best guess would be to divide the stock sizes in half ..?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
No need to go that drastic... I would drop no more than 3-4 teeth at a time.

You could even try it on the stock pinion, but I would bet it'll run hot.