well done the hatch looks great.
Tim
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Servo mounting setup.

I've gotten a little work done on the boat in the last few days. I've got the servo tray built and the servos mounted. I also worked out the rudder linkage. It consists of a 4-40 threaded rod with a ball link on each end. The links are held on to the ball by a spring loaded sleeve that can move back and forth to allow for a greater range of up and down motion than a standard ball link setup allows.
The crosspieces that you can see in the photos will be glued into the hull and the servo tray is attached to them using cap screws and blind nuts so I can remove the servo tray and get my arm into both ends of the hull. I still need to attach a couple of small platforms on the servo tray to allow me to attach a couple of cleats for tying off the sheets.
I've been spending some time getting the deck house and deck hatch layout designed and I'm hoping to cut the the pieces tomorrow and put them together, then it will be on to the deck. My current plan is to mount the receiver on the underside of the main hatch and put a charging jack and a switch in the deck house. I will need some cabling and a disconnect so I can completely remove the hatch.
Let me put in a plug for Multifit Blades WEB site: http://multifitblades.com/ they carry a large assortment of blades and sand paper for oscillating tools. I have a CEL Multi2Pro and he has blades that fit it. They sent me a free finger sanding blade to see it it would fit my unit because the CEL uses a non-standard blade setup and it works. Nice folks to do business with.
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,851 Posts
Jim,

I noticed you installed the mast support from the King plank down to the fiberglass hull. Typically it should rest on the tip of the lead weight for solid support.

Maybe you reinforced the fiberglass hull at that point, but and can't tell. Hope you don't mind be pointing that out.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Mast Support

Hi Ed,
That's the way it came from Hans, I purchased the max configuration that Hans sells. The hull came with the internal framing the mast support and the rudder post already installed.
Thanks for the comment though, now I'll be staying up all night worrying about my mast coming through the bottom of my boat.
I appreciate everyone's comments, they are extremely helpful, this is by far my largest modeling project. I have a Mary J Ward that has been languishing on the shelf for several years and I've been afraid to tackle it because I might screw it up. I think I've learned enough from building this CJ that I'll start on the MJW next.
Jim
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,851 Posts
Jim,

Well I would not stay up late worrying about. Han's has built a lot of boats and he knows what he is doing.

Ed
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
699 Posts
Ed,

I think I've noticed in one of the pics in Hans' build manual the compression post installed in the same manner as Jim's boat. In reality I can't imagine all that much stress being imposed at the base of the post as the deck beams and kingplank all share the load. In fact I think many of the US 12 class boats don't use a compression post at all, just a heavy beam spanning the gunwales. It should be mentioned that it's easy to go overboard on shroud/rig tension on these boats. Just tight enough to keep the mast straight is enough in my opinion.

Jim,

You're making good progress. Looks very clean and orderly . Don't think I've seen that style of ball link before. I'll have to check them out.

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Ball Link source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Ed,
Don't think I've seen that style of ball link before. I'll have to check them out.
Kevin
Canterbury J #551
Kevin,
The ball connector, as they call it, is made by Sullivan part #562, here is a link to them on their WEB site:
http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Prod...xMainFrame.htm
I'm glad you mentioned checking them out, I didn't even look at the packaging until your comment and then I found their WEB site address. The only problem I had was that I couldn't get the 4-40 rod started into the body of the link so I used a 4-40 tap to facilitate the process. I found them at my local hobby shop that's big on RC cars.
Jim
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:01 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
699 Posts
Jim,

Those are pretty interesting. Might come in handy on some future project!

Kevin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,851 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked also.

Ed
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Interior Pictures

I was able to remove the servo mounting platform today, as the epoxy had dried and I took some pictures of the interior to show of why I'm doing the interior this way. The pictures give you an Idea of the space that is available to access the interior of the hull. The cross members are positioned so the screws for the keel can be removed. I wanted to be able to get to the fairleads and the rudder
I will be adding three blocks inside the hull: one forward to route the jib sheet back to the stern of the boat and two aft of the servo mounting tray for cleats to tie off the sheets.
Last edited by jimhurley; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't get added.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,851 Posts
Nice setup. I have trouble getting my hand into the bow of my boat.

Ed
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Deck Features

I've been working on the deck features for the boat, I've started to build the deckhouse, at first looked a little big, but after looking at a side view of the boat it doesn't look as bad now. I've made it a little narrower that scale, because scale size would overlap the edges of the hatch. It's drying now so I'll add some pictures when I get it finished. I've just about convince my self that I can put a charging jack and an on/off switch in the deckhouse and reach it through the deckhouse hatch. I'll need to see if I can construct a sliding hatch to make it work. The details are from the current Ranger.
I bought a digital caliper and it has been the best tool purchase I've made in a long time. you can change the read out between millimeters, thousands of and inch and fractions of an inch. I used it take all my measurements off the Ranger Deck Layout picture.
Last edited by jimhurley; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
699 Posts
That will look very nice!!!!

Kevin
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,851 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing your planked deck and cabin.

Ed