HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
A mate made me a small yagi, it is easy to make and makes pinpointing the direction of the signal very easy. We did a test where i hid the beacon in a small balsa box we keep it in for testing (makes sure the wind noise is cut out). I put the box up in a limb of a tree and he had no trouble getting very close to it, and we still needed to unplug the antenna to make it less sensitive up close to really pin point it.

I did wondr if it might be possible to put a small switch on the antenna handle that somehow drops the signal strength down to half ... or maybe even have a pot so it the signal can be dialed right down. I am not sure what would be needed to do this .. but i think it would be a good idea.

I have now tested my beacon a few times on my plane, it's a glider and i was worried it might come on in a glide on a still day and interfere with my UHF LRS, but the microphone worked well and no premature kick in of the beacon!

Love this thing, and all the default settings are great!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,249 Posts
I just got one in a trade and I dont know wich version is, how many version are out there? This one has a long pcb board with a mic at the end.

Also how can I turn on the 4th tone? default is off
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I ordered mine dec 21 i think (kaasia18) and i still did not get it. tracking number in paypal gives little info...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,512 Posts
for CRD

Here's the post QUOTE=mrfliboy;16587353]FMKit<

Trying to locate a close cap, I've got 104, 22, 102k, 101, 24, 8, 68 no luck on 470pF.

Any particular one(s) out of the batch, ready to start soldering again.

We have sucess using the 102k ceramic disc, in mode 5.1 it transmits beacon and audio during the beacon transmissions. In mode 5.6 it transmits audio full time. Definitely too cool.

This beacon does have a LV shutoff correct??

BTW just did a 1hr freezer test and beacon was transmitting all the time.

I'm liking the pill bottle idea too. Thanks[/QUOTE]
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Finally got my beacon, forgot to buy a walkie talkie, dohhh.. I'll get one this week and test it out, yay.
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Nov 2006
21 Posts
Just got my vox version beacon.

How can i set it to pmr channel 1 Mode? Its not documented here http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html.

Thank you
savage7 is offline Find More Posts by savage7
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage7 View Post
Just got my vox version beacon.

How can i set it to pmr channel 1 Mode? Its not documented here http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html.

Thank you
there is no preset for 1st PMR channel, why would you set most used channel ? people will get annoyed.

to set PMR enter 4.2
then 3.2 for 2nd channel 3.3 for 3rd and so on.
if you have to set 1st channel enter 6 digits custom frequency
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Nov 2006
21 Posts
In the documentation it says 4.x is to set vox sensitivity. So this isnt correct?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:52 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage7 View Post
In the documentation it says 4.x is to set vox sensitivity. So this isnt correct?
I was thinking of non-VOX beacon,

VOX version only has FRS presets
you have to enter PMR frequencies as custom channel - 6 digits,
ch1 is channel that you define

here in the video I enter 6 digits into receiver,
do the same w/ beacon

U-Link RX, setting RF channel (1 min 1 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2006
21 Posts
thank you that worked. now it beeps like a charm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:45 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
618 Posts
This thing is awesome. I tested mine this weekend, just past. We put it a couple of feet of 30mm square, white conduit to partly look like a foam plane and then had a mates father hide it.

We out of town and he came back to tell us it was within 20km, good luck. He didn't have much faith in us or the beacon.

We went to the highest point and picked up 1 scratchy tone with a yagi antenna. We headed in the direction with the UHF radio on in the car (Trucker CB for those in the US). 1 tone turned to 2 and then 3. From this point we disconnected the antenna and kept going. We finally got down to about 10m and then we just searched around in the grass and found it. It took about 20 - 30 minutes in total.

GPS distance from the high point to the beacon was 6.64km.

I doubt I will loose a plane again.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
359 Posts
I wish to http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html but How do I purchase the one without the microphone non vox. I also want the LCD screen if am able to use more easily. Web site says purchase button but only for vox i think.
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
I ship regular beacons unless asked for VOX version,
the beacon is smaller than LCD connector, I still have few pieces of old version beacon (w/LCD option) sold 2 years ago, if you prefer old design make a note.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:29 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
359 Posts
Wow thanks for reply. Am going to order on that webpage Looks like frs frequencies are covered so i enter custom and order. Am not needing the lcd am i ? am interested for beacon only and setup seems a breeze. Custom freq- is it an extra channel for choice added to already selections? Thanks. will order today.
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:00 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankogen View Post
Wow thanks for reply. Am going to order on that webpage Looks like frs frequencies are covered so i enter custom and order. Am not needing the lcd am i ? am interested for beacon only and setup seems a breeze. Custom freq- is it an extra channel for choice added to already selections? Thanks. will order today.
The beacons based on data module designed for 433MHz(most power), you can tune any freq. in 240-930MHz band but output power will drop unless antenna soldered direct to TX chip bypassing output filter.
Those in Europe can use LPD and PMR channels without mod. American, Australian and NZ FRS 460-470MHz works couple dB less powerful, if you're HAM and need max. range tune your own frequency around 433MHz..
It takes half minute to set new frequency and you can switch almost instantly between presets and your custom channel.
If you forget settings hold the button 4 seconds till LED goes off to set defaults, normally ch5 FRS or channel that you specify while ordering.