Find More Posts by samberkley
Long live the Aero Aces!
Pluto
Joined Nov 2006
221 Posts
Discussion
Flytech dragonfly battery

Hello all,
I have a new flytech dragonfly that I've only used once. I'm going on a 1 month vacation soon, so should I leave the battery in the dragonfly fully charged, or should I run down the battery? Which is healthiest for it? Thanks for the help!
samberkley is offline Find More Posts by samberkley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2007, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,782 Posts
Always leave LIPOs fully charged. They can become permanently damaged by deep discharge, and when then attempting to recharge such a now reduced-capacity LIPO, it is easily possible to overcharge it with the included toy-LIPO charging system .... and then to make very sure that is in a safe, fireproof environment as it expands and bursts into flame! If possible, store the entire toy in a cool or room temperature place once charged, allowing it to warm to room temperature if cold before use and further charging.
xlcrlee is online now Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Nov 08, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by peter frostick
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
I'd charge the plane fully and then run off a bit of the initial power burst if you want to leave the model "resting" for a while ---- some toy chargers are not exaclty the Bee's knees for accurate final voltage, but an "out of use" lipo loses virtually no voltage at rest, even over very long periods.

Peter
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:09 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,782 Posts
LIPOs will self discharge over time but at a much lower rate than most other Akkus. Lee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Nov 08, 2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:23 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,782 Posts
Here is some info >>

http://www.robocommunity.com/blog/60...ery-Sleuthing/

see this LIPO below > 452026H10C >>
http://www.fentbattery.com/english/products5.htm

Home :: Lithium Polymer Information
Lithium Polymer Battery Technology
Information Provided Courtesy of Redline Batteries™.

About Lithium Polymer Batteries - Lithium Polymer technology is widely used in laptop computers, cellular phones, and other personal electronics. When handled and used properly, Lithium Polymer batteries can be quite safe. Lithium Polymer batteries also offer a number of distinct advantages over other sources of stored electrical potential.

High Energy Density – For their weight, Lithium Polymer batteries are capable of storing a proportionately high amount of energy compared to older technologies such as those found in NiCd and NiMH batteries. In many cases, they offer over 4 times the energy capacity for the weight.

Flat Voltage Curve – Lithium Polymer cells are fully charged at 4.2 volts and are considered fully discharged at 3.0 volts. This allows for a relatively flat voltage discharge curve, providing solid performance throughout the discharge cycle.

No Memory Effect – Lithium Polymer cells do not develop a memory effect from being only partially discharged and then charged again (such as that experienced by NiCd cells). The cells may be partially charged and discharged without damaging their performance so long as they are kept within their normal operating voltage parameters.

Low Self Discharge – Unlike NiMH and NiCd batteries, Lithium Polymer cells experience a very low rate of self-discharge when not in use. Lithium Polymer cells experience a self-discharge rate of approximately 5% per month, compared with over 30% per month and 20% per month in NiHM batteries and NiCd batteries respectively. This means that users can now fully charge their Lithium Polymer batteries one day and then use them weeks later, at which time they will still have nearly a full charge.

Low temperature feature
After charge, leaving the battery in -10±2�� store for 2 hours, discharging with 0.5CmA constant current down to 2.75V, then back to 20±5�� for 2 hours, discharge time should not less then 1.8 hours. The battery has no reformat Polymer and damage.

for at least this product > ENERTECH Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer Battery
Model : SPB605060 (1900mAh) >

Storage

The cell requested to be stored under the following conditions:
a. Indoor storage in a cool circumstances without direct sun light.
b. Store the cell in a dry location with low humidity, and a temperature range of –20°C to +30°C.

In case of the long term storage
a. As long-term storage can accelerate battery self-discharge and lead to the deactivation of the
cells. To minimize the deactivation effect, store the cell in a temperature range of +10°C to +30°C.b. When charging for the first time after long-term storage, deactivation of the cells have led to decreased capacity. Recover such cell to original performance through repeating several cycles
of full charging and discharging.
c. When store the cell for more than 6 month, charge at least once charing require per 6 months to prevent leakage and deterioration in performance due to self-discharging.
Last edited by xlcrlee; Nov 08, 2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by jugaal
Sunny San Diego CA
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
I left one of these small batteries (actually the one I used to upgrade my Dragonfly) more than a year without use. No aparent damage at all. Recharge your Dragonfly and enjoy your vacations. The battery will be ok!!.
jugaal is offline Find More Posts by jugaal
Old Nov 09, 2007, 08:01 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,782 Posts
Thr key word being "apparent". As you can see from the manufacturer's recommendation, LIPO's should be recharged every 6 months at the least to prevent ANY loss. But the one-month absence should be problemless if stored in a dry place out of sunlight within 10° - 30° C (50° - 86° F).
Last edited by xlcrlee; Nov 09, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by modfly
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,365 Posts
yea..The more a lipo is used the more unstable it becomes until it is worn and starts to self discharge..so 6 months is a good idea..I have noticed new ones with little or no use hold there static charge better..if you have well used ones better charge every month.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Barry2
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
I have read many times on the batteries forum that the correct charge condition for LIPO storage is approximately a half-charge. My CellPro charger has a lipo storage setting that charges to half charge. I think it is 3.85 V per cell, IIRC.

Lithium Ion manufacturers commonly recommend a 40% charge for storage, so this seems relatively consistent with that.

But a month is not super long term storage, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Pique
United States, MA, Needham
Joined Apr 2013
264 Posts
So, I just dug one of these out of the basement. It has been there for about 7 years. I assume that the battery is dead because it won't charge?
Captain Pique is offline Find More Posts by Captain Pique
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pique View Post
So, I just dug one of these out of the basement. It has been there for about 7 years. I assume that the battery is dead because it won't charge?
Likely the Lipo voltage is too low for the smart charger to recognize it. Should be easy enough to measure the Lipo voltage with a meter and if below 3 volts, or so, then dispose of it..

FWIW. I removed the battery from my Dragonfly ornithopter and installed a short wire harness that mates to my micro 1-cell batteries. With a small piece of Velcro on the outside of the body of the bug, I have found the CG sweat spot, for very smooth flying at low throttle. The 7mm diameter motor has also been replaced twice do to lots of use over the last 5 years!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5