New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by **neons**
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
3,025 Posts
Installed Retracts Today
Well I decided to put them in and ordered them last Friday H King and I could not believe they were here Monday morning. West coast to East is fast. Spent yesterday putting the foam cutout in the foam and Gorilla glued 5/16" mount beams. . I also had a pair of telescoping shocks so I had a lot of fabricating to do. The landing gear posts were 3mm and the shocks were 4mm. Adapters were made. Then today I made aluminum wheel covers from Harry's template and then screwed to the shocks. House aluminum flashing is great for these.

The picture shows the retracts mounted in both retract positions and the plane sitting on them. Tomorrow I will smooth and match paint after I finish tying in the cable splitter. The aluminum will need to be metal primer before painting. Zinc chromate paint is best on aluminum for primer.

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,105 Posts
I put the cheap HK retracts in mine and flaps, so I used a ubec for supplying the extra amps, after about 40 or more operations one retract burned out in flight and shorted the 5v crashing plane.
I then rebuilt but used a separate 5v source for the retracts in case it happened again, worked OK but I never got to fly it again as the field grass cutters changed and they never cut it short enough to take off.......
I got into dlg then anyway ...
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jun 02, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by **neons**
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
3,025 Posts
Nigel
Too bad about the grass. I think I may now have to put a Ubec in also. I have for many years always hand launched my planes. I just never went for retracts. I have 6 fixed gear planes which are no problem. I have a few planes with the old servo landing gear also. I do not fly those much. They are a pain with landing functions and setups. We are going to have a new field with the plastic GeoTech runway installed. So now I am putting a few planes with retracts for trial. Eventually my big servo retract planes will be all changed over to servoless if this works out. Otherwise back to hand launching and peddle launchers.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jun 03, 2015, 02:04 AM
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,105 Posts
Hope the retracts work out for you , I liked flying off wheels with retracts, much more scale experience. Loved doing touch at goes dropping the wheels and flaps to do a nice slow scale touch down and then tucking them up and building up speed for a fast low pass followed by a few airobatics, the fw190 did this really well and looked good doing it.
I have a p38 lightning too with retracts sitting idle, not as airobatic and no flaps but still very impressive looking.
Hopefully the field will get back to decent condition one day but till then I'm happy with my gliders and dlg.
I can't really complain though as its a football field right at the end of my street and costs me nothing to fly there.
Old Jun 03, 2015, 02:12 AM
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,105 Posts
I posted my flaps and retacts install a while back , not as neat as yours though on the retracts!
The flaps were really easy and did not add much weight, the flaps are almost there already , just cut along the line already there and hinged with nylon hinge strip, cut out around a hxt900 and inserted into the foam behind retract, made horn from lolly sticks and push rods from paper clips and was done.
The difference in flight was huge, I could slow down and do tight turns without tip stalling, very slow passes and touch downs were really nice with no nosing over.