New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Build Log
CAC Wirraway using Airborne / David Vaughan plans

I've decided to take the plunge and start a build thread on my latest build, the CAC Wirraway which has been cut from Airborne magazine plans by www.lasercutkits.com.au however I am building it with the original plans by David Vaughan as it has some nice scale detail. Why the Wirra? Well my bucket list is to build a flying model of all the planes my grandfather flew in WW2. He was in the RAAF but spent all his operational duty with 11 squadron RAF in Burma, so his main plane was a hurricane IIc which I have modelled (badly compared to most on this site...it's a 62" Tony nijhuis design...

So next is his second plane he flew at 7 AFTS at Deniliquin in NSW Australia. I have a couple of photos he had of Wirraways he flew from his war album...

This build is unfortunately not going to be too inspiring to all the great modellers out there as I am a relative newcomer to building planes, but it is I believe the first Wirraway to be built on this thread. Please feel free to critique my work and suggest better ways of doing things as that is the way we learn!

Before I started I built myself a new building board out of a particle board base with cork tiles stuck on top. I then coated the cork with a thin covering of silicon to protect the cork and provide some grip for the pins.

This is the first build where I have not had any instructions of the build process, so I have spent several nights pondering over the plans trying to make a plan of what to do. I decided to construct the inner fuselage framework first which is made of balsa square section.

This model is going to run on 6s lipo and 3 blade varioprop. I may put a sound system on board too

Feel free to chime in with questions and comments... I think I am going to need some help!

Cheers

Sandy
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by jonquinn
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,418 Posts
I'd say that Hurricane looks good.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
I'd say that Hurricane looks good.
Thanks Jonquinn I've been reading lots of build threads on RCSB website and some of those builds are crazy good, so I guess I'm comparing to those if each build I do gets closer to those guys I'll be happy
Old Jul 07, 2014, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Oneson1
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
330 Posts
Go for it, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do, I want to do a Boomer one day!!
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by Ganno
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
I'm with you all the way on this one mate
Ganno is offline Find More Posts by Ganno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CAC Wirraway
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,177 Posts
Hi Sandy - looking forward to your build (as I suspect you are )
What are the Airborne plans like? I've looked at the list occasionally and have been tempted......
Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best Laid Plans....
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Thanks for the kind words so far and to those who are following on - much appreciated

Plugging on with the frame work and trying to keep it pinned down to the board upside down for as long as I can so the fuse remains square. I think I will make some kind of suspension jig once I flip it over. I must admit that I am spending more time crouching over the plans than actually building but I haven't made any mistakes...... Yet

Here are some more progress photos. I have completed all the side and bottom parts of the 4 part formers as well as the wing saddle and horiz stab saddle. So far everything is true!

For those who are interested, basically the airborne plans seem to be a metric version of the imperial David Vaughan plans. Also some of the more confusing sides to the build are explained a little better on the airborne version too. It is a big help having birth versions. I have also acquired a copy of the David Vaughan build article which doesn't exactly step you through the build, it us useful to have.

Need to buy some more balsa before I do any more!

One thing I will definitely need some help with down the track will be the wing/fuse fillets as the wirraway has the wheels tucking up forward of the leading edge extending into the fuse
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneson1 View Post
Go for it, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do, I want to do a Boomer one day!!
I'm looking forward to see how I do Boomerang was a nice plane too but there seem to be a few more of them than the wirra being modelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganno View Post
I'm with you all the way on this one mate
Cheers Ganno, and thanks once again for supplying me with a wealth of information! I wouldn't be thus far along without it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lynch View Post
Hi Sandy - looking forward to your build (as I suspect you are )
What are the Airborne plans like? I've looked at the list occasionally and have been tempted......
Pat
Hi pat, thanks for following the airborne plans for thus model anyway seem really good. It us a very scale build as yours is - they have to be with the big open cockpit area - need to show some of the scale interior structure rather than just solid formers.

Also huge thanks to Ray from Ireland for kindly sending me a copy of the David Vaughan construction article from Radio Modeller May 1981. By the way does anyone know if airborne did an article on the wirra or did they just produce the plans
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by oldschoolhg
Just having fun
Australia, SA, Paradise
Joined Feb 2013
1,836 Posts
I'm watching too Shoey

........ I hated sanding balsa! It irritated my sinuses even with a mask
oldschoolhg is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolhg
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by BennyT
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,908 Posts
Subscribed on this end too!
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,520 Posts
Subscribed here, across the pond, left coast USA

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolhg View Post
I'm watching too Shoey
........ I hated sanding balsa! It irritated my sinuses even with a mask
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
Subscribed on this end too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Subscribed here, across the pond, left coast USA

George
Enjoy the ride Rosco, Ben and George! Feel free to comment and critique my work and offer suggestions to how better do things... I'm relatively new to this building and appreciate all the help I can get
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Before I go off and buy expensive composite epoxies, I was wondering if a tooling resin is absolutely necessary to make a mould when I am only probably going to do 2 or 3 lay ups. Would a gelcoat suffice? Also when doing the layup, after a coat of primer, is the first layer just laminating resin, or should I use gelcoat? Cheers, sandy
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Tonight I got the rear upper and lower fuse sheeted with 1.5mm balsa. I'm trying to keep the tail as light as possible as the wirra seems to have quite a short nose. Installed some cross bracing in the cockpit area. I used 5mm square balsa, got the end cuts fitting snug, then used sandpaper and twisted the balsa through the sandpaper which I wrapped around it. Pretty quickly a square section becomes a round section. I've got some good photos of the frame work so ill add some more scale frames out of plastic straw as these extra ones are not needed for structure.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
774 Posts
Started on the horizontal stab tonight. There are no laser cut parts for this so it's building off the plan. There are only 4 ribs each side that have a profile drawn, but there is a diagram of the trailing edge taper. The way this is supposed to be built is to glue the LE, TE and ribs over the plan, but glue them as rectangular pieces, then once glued shape the ribs, LE and TE. I thought that there is no way I could do this without breaking LOTS of ribs, so I traced the rib profiles that I had and cut the top profile of these out, and also the top of the leading and trailing edge.... Lots of measuring, marking then cutting. It meant I still had the flat bottoms to make sure everything was flat, but made shaping the top surface MUCH easier. I can also use the cut pieces of the LE and TE as jigs when I flip the stab over to shape the bottom and sheet.
It's ended up REALLY light as the ribs are made of 1.5mm balsa and it's sheeted with 0.8mm balsa. This will be fibreglassed. I also added some doublers for where the elevator bearing pieces will go so there is something solid to attach them to.