SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
Tried to fly again today, but winds were a little high and with a completely clear sky I found it near impossible to find any thermals, and when I did I just kept getting blown around/out of them due to the wind :'(

Hopefully if tomorrow morning is still I'm going to give it a go then - mornings should be best for finding them right as the ground air is colder?
Morning are good, though exact timing is hit and miss, too early and its just not warm enough to make good thermals, too late and like you say winds get too much.

I have found some nice lift around on nice cold mornings as the sun comes up and warms the ground.
11am is usually good though if its calm enough the thermals really get going then and that is usually when i get some really long flights.

Today is WAY too windy here still even though it's a lovely hot clear sky day.....

Not flown for ages now apart from powered gliders to try to thermal in the 15 to 30mph winds which is not really working out very well.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
United Kingdom, Banstead
Joined May 2013
502 Posts
took the storm out this morning, lighht winds and HUGE lift.. Never thought i'd say this but I got bored cos it was TOO easy to keep finding thermals.

Unlike the weekend when i did my first f3k comp. Man what an eye opener. Flying with the UK team was a blast, I have soooo got the bug now. Still managed 8th (out of 9) hahah but conditions were cchallenging and just couldn't get the storm to penetrate.

Later found out that the new pullstrings were stretching and kept adjust the elevator doh.

Dave H
DizzyDuck is offline Find More Posts by DizzyDuck
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by barry d
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2014
106 Posts
After two hours of DX9 programming vapor lock spread out over as many days, had a break through and finally got it all working as intended: camber on slider, flaps with compensation on stick, camber+ elevator(+ timer) on intermittent switch, plus all the flight modes and mixes I had working previously. Best was the second javelin-launch trim flight, which went about 4 minutes.
But man - camber on a slider...very cool. And it sure seems like the Aerial swallows a lot of it.
barry d is online now Find More Posts by barry d
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,105 Posts
Nice one Dave
I remember flying in nice conditions like that where it is actually boringly easy, make the most of it because its quite rare lol...
Those conditions are good for practising set flight times and flying in the thermal for a bit then a quick relight right back into it again.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rayven
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
809 Posts
Zero sink times

Dead calm this morning at 7am, zero sink conditions...good time for me to try out various models for dead air time. I was getting decent launches on each one. Here's how it averaged out:

FW6: 1:56
Elf: 1:02
Whipit: :38

Which tells me that if I could get the Whipit to the same height as the FW6 it would have probably out-performed it in these conditions!
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven