HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kev71H, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:56 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Since 2 Wheel Hobbies is out of stock for the PMT 200 front slicks and they are closed through Veterans Day, I placed an order from here:
http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/M...Wheels_c71.htm

They charge a few bucks more, but shipping was only $3, plus they have the tires in stock

I plan to dunk the stock SB5 wheels in acetone to remove the original tires and recycle the wheels. The PMT tires that I just ordered seem to come with inserts so that's a nice bonus.

Thanks for recommending the best tire for me to go with.

I was planning to order the SB5 front brake kit next, do you find that it is not necesssary, or will this really help me get a tighter turning radius which may be necessary since I'm going to be racing on a smaller 1/10 track?

I think I am going to be the only one showing up to the track with a bike for now, but if I can get this baby dialed in, I'm sure interest will spread, there are a lot of racers at my local club who travel all over the world to race, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to get a nitro 1:5 bike too, ha!

It's going to be a challenge as I will likely have to race in the novice class with my SB5 and it will be interesting as I try to dodge the young kids with trigger happy fingers, doh!
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
With the 3900kv motor you installed, you dont really need a front brake. Actually, to use a front brake, I would advise a better radio with a brake-mix feature (mix the throttle channel with the 3rd channel, providing braking to the front only when you push the trigger to brake). If you just put a y-cable and use only the throttle channel, you will have too much front brake and it will also brake when you hit the throttle! (think of it... the servo will move in both directions!!!! While with brake mixing, it just moves when you brake).

In my humble opinion, and since I have never raced Superbike, I would use a front brake with a 10.5T motor (around 4000 or a bit more kv) or hotter... Even with the 13.5T sensored I am using, the bike brakes very decently.
As Edi Winter said once, and he is the 2011 World Champion as you know, you'd better start learning with no front brake, and after you have mastered the driving, then add a front brake. And from what he says, he usually disables the front brake when he first hits a new track, until he learns what's needed for a fast lap.
In the end, you dont really need the brakes to STOP, but only to control the corner entry speed.
Just make sure you have fun with the bike, and try to meet with these guys around there...
I am more lonely than you, you know: I am the only active rc bike racer in my country!!!!

One more thought on the tires: If you manage to save the TT inserts, too, compare them with the PMT ones and use the harder from the two.
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
With the 3900kv motor you installed, you dont really need a front brake. Actually, to use a front brake, I would advise a better radio with a brake-mix feature (mix the throttle channel with the 3rd channel, providing braking to the front only when you push the trigger to brake). If you just put a y-cable and use only the throttle channel, you will have too much front brake and it will also brake when you hit the throttle! (think of it... the servo will move in both directions!!!! While with brake mixing, it just moves when you brake).

In my humble opinion, and since I have never raced Superbike, I would use a front brake with a 10.5T motor (around 4000 or a bit more kv) or hotter... Even with the 13.5T sensored I am using, the bike brakes very decently.
As Edi Winter said once, and he is the 2011 World Champion as you know, you'd better start learning with no front brake, and after you have mastered the driving, then add a front brake. And from what he says, he usually disables the front brake when he first hits a new track, until he learns what's needed for a fast lap.
In the end, you dont really need the brakes to STOP, but only to control the corner entry speed.
Just make sure you have fun with the bike, and try to meet with these guys around there...
I am more lonely than you, you know: I am the only active rc bike racer in my country!!!!

One more thought on the tires: If you manage to save the TT inserts, too, compare them with the PMT ones and use the harder from the two.

**WARNING** Yes, Stelios is correct... you need a 3 channel radio ****WITH BRAKE MIXING ABILITY*** NOT just a 3 channel radio per-say. I bought a 3 channel radio and to my surprise, MOST 3 channel radios DON'T have "Brake mixing" abilities.

Most cost effective 3 channel (with mixing ability) seems to be here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html ...

This is the one I currently have, but I may be changing to a "high" end radio for my other RC Cars that will include my Motorcycle change of radio.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
That's the same radio I have on my 2nd SB-5, too. And it does have a brake mix, which I tested (on the table for now): when you hit the brakes, the front brake servo moves only in one direction. when you hit the throttle, the brake servo just stays there. It also has percentage of engagement from 0 to 100%, with which you can dial out some, if you dont want the bike to do stoppies! And you dont need that! Trust me!!!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:00 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
YUP,,,,,,, I perfectly have my font brake set up nicely!!! and on hotter days I can even dial in "more" front brake!! Depends on my actual "grip". Now that I have my roadies, I can dial in much front brake (almost to raise the rear tire) and thats perfect for me!

Kev
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:15 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Holy Smokes, thanks so much for making it clear about the need for throttle mixing with the front brakes!

It's very misleading because the radio that comes with the SB5 is a 3Channel radio yet it doesn't support throttle mixing, doh!
Ace RC PS3

Thanks for the link to the HobbyKing radio, I will definitely keep that in mind if I decide to go with a front brake kit. I think you guys have talked me out of buying the front brake kit for the time being. I don't really see a need since I have no competition (yet). Perhaps I will revisit the idea after I have tested out the new PMT 200's. I'm sure I will have my hands full trying to find the best suspension setup as well. Then I will save the front brakes for last once I have everything else dialed the best that I can make do with.

I think I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my FlySky radios to RadioPost and I never would've thought that the SB5 would've made that transition a likely reason, ha!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:22 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
the HK radio seems to be the same with the one Venom used to give with its bikes...
Not sure if it's exactly the same, though, but with different stickers...
I happen to have the same Venom radio (came with the GPV1) which works in 27Mhz AM, but it has exactly the same menus and functions...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:29 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
despite what I said above about the use of the front brake, I admit I have used it (but... very little and with no competition).
I used it when I removed the Stock (13.5t) motor and installed a Nosram ESC and a 5.5T motor. The bike was heaps faster, as expected, and with the front brake, it helped the bike to "tuck" to the inside of the turns, even approaching the end of the main (75m!) straight at full speed, I just braked lightly and it showed that the bike decelerated visibly more than what it would with the rear only. And keeping braking deep into the turn (with the front brake at just 30%) it would help tighten the line if needed, even at full lean.
Oh and with soft Roadies mounted!
And after two batteries my "brake kit" servo just died... I have ordered a digital MG Ace replacement, so I'm just waiting for this to run the bike again...
In the meantime, I bought a 2nd SB-5 kit, so I re-made the first bike a Stock bike, and installed the pistol HK radio and the 5.5T/Nosram to the new bike! Now, this bike is waiting for a brake servo!!!

PS: Does it make any sense?!!! )
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
the HK radio seems to be the same with the one Venom used to give with its bikes...
Not sure if it's exactly the same, though, but with different stickers...
I happen to have the same Venom radio (came with the GPV1) which works in 27Mhz AM, but it has exactly the same menus and functions...
Its exactly same, but with different stickers
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
that sucks to hear about brake servo not lasting, I wonder if there are EPA settings that are needed to be set on it? I am in the process of looking for a used RadioPost system now and will probably be installing the front brake kit within the next few weeks <fingers crossed>

do you find that it's necessary to replace the stock steering servo with a faster one?
It seems that a slower steering response might be better handling for the bikes or am I mistaken?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
*** WARNING ***

The stock SERVO with the front brake (SB-5) is crap....mine also lasted about 6-10 runs before it burnt out.

Buy the MG version here:Ace DC1016MG Digital Micro Metal Gear Servo
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXBZBU&P=8

Its a direct fit and METAL GEARED made by ACE RC. Since its metal geared I think the electronics are more robust???? not sure, seems my original one just BURNT OUT because the gears seemed fine(?)

*** Now I'm very happy***
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Thanks for the tip and link to the servo!

I just ordered a used RadioPost setup off RCTech, I'm really looking forward to getting this bike dialed in now!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
Thanks for the tip and link to the servo!

I just ordered a used RadioPost setup off RCTech, I'm really looking forward to getting this bike dialed in now!
Wow going strong with the radio!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
I've been putting it off for a while now, I think I got a pretty good deal, the radio is only 3 months old, came with a carrying case + two Rx's for $225 shipped. Now I need to wait another paycheck before I can buy the front brake kit + micro digital servo, ha!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,572 Posts
Good find indeed on the radio