HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
397 Posts
Question
On board camera?

I bought one of these:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sm18gfpvmivi.html

It lasted a few days and then I think I overcharged or something and it died. There is no charge indicator and the indicator lights are confusing.

Then I bought 2 of these:

http://www.sircrepairsolutions.com/m...b-memory-card/

One is dead already and the other is flaky. It is difficult to tell if it is actually on or what mode it is in and whether it is recording. It shuts recording off arbitrarily and for no reason I can discern. Never know if I am going to get a few seconds or maybe even up to 1 minute but never more record time.

So the question is what is a good on board camera for a 2 meter sailplane without spending 300 bucks for the the GoPro?
George Franklin is offline Find More Posts by George Franklin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:25 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Aug 2014
13 Posts
I use an old FlipVideo and it's great. Not HD, but crazy simple to work with.

On a Sophisticated Lady, canopy removed and mounted sideways (lots of duct tape).

MakapuuSoaring (7 min 42 sec)

Mounted on a Cessna (not a model!):

http://youtu.be/HaqV2jH6wkw?list=UUR...VwLLLhTyHDMgTA
kukailimoku is offline Find More Posts by kukailimoku
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:21 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,561 Posts
I'd like to get a small HD camera for a few planes, ... just don't know which ones are good and which ones are junk. I used a GoPro , ... but they are real crappy as you need the Hubble telescope to see anything in the video due to the fish eye situation, besides, ... they are really bulky.

I see lot's of nice on board video, ... what camera are these guys using?

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:00 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,185 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867332
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:54 PM
United States, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Jul 2009
17 Posts
Ever hear of a mobius?
http://mobius-actioncam.com

Might be worth a look.

Donny
donnyarnold is offline Find More Posts by donnyarnold
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
397 Posts
Looking at the Mobius, I see that it seems to meet all of the criteria that I need. I like the LED indicators. Just hope it is visible in daylight. I like the charge indication feature. And I like the video rotation feature that allows the camera to be mounted upside down.

This reviewer was quite enthusiastic about the Mobius.

http://www.recordergear.com/video-re...FQto7AodgXgAcA
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Jul 2009
17 Posts
It does have a fish eye effect at 1080p but when you use 720 it is not so bad. There is a discussion thread on rcgroups somewhere. It was developed for rc flight and works for fvp. You will have to search for it I don't have the URL. I have been thinking about it too.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Feb 2013
397 Posts
Problem solved.

Ordered the Mobius video cam last Friday and yesterday (Wednesday) I got the Mobius in the mail. Dealing with a US dealer is so nice and only $4.25 for priority USPS mail. So I pulled the 8GB micro SD card out of the non working MD80 mini DV and put it in the Mobius. Got video, but it kept cutting out on me. Any video longer than 1 minute or so was invalid. And any subsequent videos were invalid. This is the same problem I was having with the MD80 that was working.
Seeing a pattern here? 2 totally different cameras having the same exact problem. Looking through the Trouble Shooting towards the end of the Mobius manual. Describes this problem and says probably bad Micro SD card. Well if I hadn't seen a pattern already I did now. Same Micro SD card same problem in 2 totally different cameras.
So I tested the Micro SD card with h2testw.exe as suggested and got 2 GB of errors before it was half done. Yup bad Micro SD card. Safe to assume that the other Micro SD card from the same source is also bad as it is having the same problem.
I had another 4 GB card left of from some other project. This one is class4 (the recommended).
Put the 4GB card in the Mobius and got 4.5 minutes of video.
Put the same 4 GB card in the bad MD80 and it still didn't work. Would not turn on even after 45 minutes of charge. So that MD80 is bad.
Put the 4 GB card in the formerly marginal MD80 and got 3 minutes of video.
So am I sorry I bought the Mobius? No the Mobius has much better resolution and a lot more features than the MD80 and the LEDs appear to be sunlight detectable unlike the MD80. And I like the Mobius mount better. And Mobius answered my email the other day in hours.

A little latter I took the quadcopter with the MD80 and the 4 GB Micro SD card over and flew it. Recorded the entire 9 minutes of flight.

Then I went to WalMart and bought a 16 GB class 4 card for the Mobius for about 13 bucks. Came home and checked it with h2test2.

Recharged batteries and flew the quadcopter again, this time with the Mobius. Recorded the entire flight in 1020p. Mobius was mounted upside down with software compensation. (So it appears right side up.)
Selfie cut from the video:

Original picture was 1920X1200. I am impressed with the Mobius.
Last edited by George Franklin; Sep 18, 2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2009
17 Posts
Ok George F. I guess I should order one for me. Glad that you are happy so far. I have only read about it and saw the videos that people have shot with it.

Donny
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:24 AM
Joined Feb 2013
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyarnold View Post
Ok George F. I guess I should order one for me. Glad that you are happy so far. I have only read about it and saw the videos that people have shot with it.

Donny
I am really please with the video shot from my Quadcopter yesterday. May not be as quite good as a GoPro, but is not 300 bucks either and it is only 1.5 ounces and it is packaged small.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
397 Posts
Have created several more videos with both the Mobius and the MD80. This my Fling with the Mobius. Put a velcro patch on the wing joint line and just slapped the Mobius on. Have the Mobius set to start recording when it is turned on. Turned it on just before launch. Should have waited another couple of seconds because video doesn't start instantaneously. You can see it is already climbing on the hi start when the video starts.

http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=29vjkhf&s=8

Looses resolution when it is uploaded. Original is much better.
LEDd are sunlight legible.
Last edited by George Franklin; Yesterday at 07:34 AM.