HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:41 AM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
180 Posts
Question
Anyone recognize this 'GAMMA' glider?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for any information on his glider. All I have is this poor quality photo which was is from page 19 of 'Sticks & Tissue' mag. (No.47) There are no other details given.
It looks, at a quick glance, a bit like the Gamma Gull but I'm sure it's not that model as this one looks to have it's wing mounted above a diamond section fuselage on some kind of parasol.
Going on the number of wing ribs it's probably not very big.
I would be pleased to hear from anyone who knows anything about it.
Thanks very much guys.
Dave.
DACH is online now Find More Posts by DACH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,651 Posts
Hi Dave

This is a short-lived British kit model from 1946, the "Gamma Glider" and was produced by CMA (Chingford Model Aerodrome). Span was 40". It is a rarity, I have never seen a plan and, as I said, the kit was only advertised for a year or two.

Needless to say, this model had nothing to do with the "Gamma Gull" series of gliders designed somewhat later by my good friend Gordon J Rae (nickname "Gamma" Rae - hence the name of the models)
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:10 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,554 Posts
Well spotted George This from Aeromodeller.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,651 Posts
Hey, that's a first Ray, I managed to beat you to it. I had an unfair advantage though as I didn't need to wade through my Aeromodellers but just refer to a listing of British glider kits which Alan Wiggs and I prepared for the SAM35 Yearbook No. 6 back in 1990. This listed close on 200 designs including such exotica as the Caledonia M. C. "Hielan' Laddie", the Chas Models "Ascot", Dewfly "Swift" and Don Models "Gulldon" all of which short-lived kits also dated from 1946, part of the immediate post-war explosion of activity.

If I can manage to scan the list without breaking the spine of my precious yearbook, I will post it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:21 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Shame they never got around to producing a 'Delta'.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
180 Posts
Sundancer - Many thanks for that information. I had looked everywhere I could think of for plans before posting but found nothing so probably they were never made available. Nice looking model though but a bit small for me - I would have liked it to be about twice that size at around 80 inches or so, but thanks again.

And thanks also RFJ for the Aeromodeller Aug 1946 scan. I have quite a few AMs from that era but not that one although I am sure my flying buddy has.

Dave.
DACH is online now Find More Posts by DACH