HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i imagine i would be slightly out of balance. i have heard that too. i plane to ad a little weight to the fron. Maybe instead of weight i will do what you did. i have a 2200mah 20c Lipo i can just put in there along with the 3000mah lipo. I sure hope this thing get's out of my hand when i hand launch it. My back wont allow me to give it a force tug, i just want to be able to give it full power and just give it a gentle toss.
another thing. i installed my Hing Rods to my Ruder and elevator servo but i had to bend them to get them on the servo arm. Damm, u think they would give you easy access,,,no i bent the rod and every time i move elevator servo the wire bends...now i got a problem i have to fix..i'm thinking that maybe glueing that rubber tubing against the foam will help it from bending....damm now i'm worried...that's the last thing i need is the elevator Rod bending while in flight...
with my two batteries at a little over half throttle it took just a little throw,no need to heave it hard,just throw up a little, and you may want to trim in just a bit up elevator to help,then when it is up and flying you can trim it back out if needed I did some research on a DX6I TX and it is limited out at 6V with 4 AA batteries, so im not sure why my buddy crashed now
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
with my two batteries at a little over half throttle it took just a little throw,no need to heave it hard,just throw up a little, and you may want to trim in just a bit up elevator to help,then when it is up and flying you can trim it back out if needed I did some research on a DX6I TX and it is limited out at 6V with 4 AA batteries, so im not sure why my buddy crashed now
i hope your right on this one. how long btw can a 4s 3000mah lipo last on a big glider like this. i hear reports of 40minutes? no waaaaa....i was thinking more on the lines of 10 minutes? once i climb come back down for a low pass give it more throttle to climb again,,,,,,,,,,,,a few of those and it's about time to land no??
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
i hope your right on this one. how long btw can a 4s 3000mah lipo last on a big glider like this. i hear reports of 40minutes? no waaaaa....i was thinking more on the lines of 10 minutes? once i climb come back down for a low pass give it more throttle to climb again,,,,,,,,,,,,a few of those and it's about time to land no??
I would set the timer for no more than 14 minutes, i in fact set mine to 10,better safe than sorry
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
So many variable. Your flying style, use of flaps etc.

I like to send it up for around 4-5 minutes, timing it carefully. Do some "standard" stuff, climbs, a loop if that's your thing, cruise around, then land. Get the exact time it was airborne, then recharge the battery to get an idea how much battery had been used. Figure out how much of that kind of flying it would take to run your battery 1/2 way down or 2/3 down, and that's your airborne limit. If you later push the plane harder, reduce your flight time accordingly.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So many variable. Your flying style, use of flaps etc.

I like to send it up for around 4-5 minutes, timing it carefully. Do some "standard" stuff, climbs, a loop if that's your thing, cruise around, then land. Get the exact time it was airborne, then recharge the battery to get an idea how much battery had been used. Figure out how much of that kind of flying it would take to run your battery 1/2 way down or 2/3 down, and that's your airborne limit. If you later push the plane harder, reduce your flight time accordingly.
yep that will work,especially for the maiden flight ! I run mine just under half throttle most of the time,only time i go full is to climb or get out of trouble and i never stay in the air for over ten minutes,as i get nervous and stressed,at least until i know the plane and that it will stay in the air lol
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:09 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
well it's coming along pretty good so far. Threw a few decals on and Rudder and Elevator is Glued on. Now i just need to bind to my AR500 & work on the battery compartment and i Might be able to maiden this Sunday.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Last edited by rhampton; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Interesting renegade decals
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
well it's coming along pretty good so far. Threw a few decals on and Rudder and Elevator is Glued on. Now i just need to bind to my AR500 & work on the battery compartment and i Might be able to maiden this Sunday.
there is a ghost in your tv man
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
i imagine i would be slightly out of balance. i have heard that too. i plane to ad a little weight to the fron. Maybe instead of weight i will do what you did. i have a 2200mah 20c Lipo i can just put in there along with the 3000mah lipo. I sure hope this thing get's out of my hand when i hand launch it. My back wont allow me to give it a force tug, i just want to be able to give it full power and just give it a gentle toss.
another thing. i installed my Hing Rods to my Ruder and elevator servo but i had to bend them to get them on the servo arm. Damm, u think they would give you easy access,,,no i bent the rod and every time i move elevator servo the wire bends...now i got a problem i have to fix..i'm thinking that maybe glueing that rubber tubing against the foam will help it from bending....damm now i'm worried...that's the last thing i need is the elevator Rod bending while in flight...
That is what I did (with rudder, too) and it works great. Try it. It is a great fix.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Wrong thread. Sorry.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is what I did (with rudder, too) and it works great. Try it. It is a great fix.
AJ
i went ahead and pulled the whole plastic tube out,they are lightly glued in and a pain to get out ! Then replaced them with number 2-56x36" threaded rods and bigger tubes.like gold-n-rods with clevis on both ends. they will never bend.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:04 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
i went ahead and pulled the whole plastic tube out,they are lightly glued in and a pain to get out ! Then replaced them with number 2-56x36" threaded rods and bigger tubes.like gold-n-rods with clevis on both ends. they will never bend.
I think you made an excellent choice IMO. The Gol-n-rods are a bit pricey. But, like most other things, you get what you pay for. I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have NO problems at all with those.
AJ
P.S. Take some pictures to share when you get them installed.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:16 AM
United States, CA, Belmont
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
I had my flap servo do the same thing after landing. It freaked out to the extreme extension and froze. There is no response in this servo now and I had to replace. Otherwise, I like these servos as I get a ful extension up and down for the flaps, but as you say it is not worth it. Plane flys great. I used small diameter carbon tubes with solid carbon rods inside for the rudder and elevator and these work very well. Flying today in 25 mph wind and got hairy at the landing. A gust throw the plane into a wooden fence post. Took a little chunk on the end of the wing, but any other plane I have would have broken it completely. This is one tough bird. I did put a layer of carbon fabric under the nose and up the side in the front. This really strengthens the fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
That is exactly what my elevator servo did, Fortunatly it happened while I was trying to adjust the elevator neutral.This also has me freaked out as I assume all of the servos are the same. This makes me remember other earlier posts of people that have had unexplained crashes, like the person that thinks his Aurora 9 had a brown out, or the person that feels the stock control rod disengaged from his servo horn, and the very first person to post a flight report and an unexplained crash on the third flight. Although all of these problems could have happened, I feel that they may have all been caused by the elevator servo moving on it's own to the end of its travel while in flight. seriously, look at all of the crash reports, all the same problem with assumed different causes. and now two actual documented problems with elevator servos that if happened when in flight would have caused the same result. When I removed my stock elevator servo, I took it apart, and unlike what was posted earlier, They are not metal geared servos, And I have to say that these have to be the crappiest built servos I have ever disassembled. I replaced my elevator servo with a hitec HS-81 and it was a perfect fit. Now the question is do I leave in the rest of the crappy servos and risk a 5 plus pound airplane crashing into a crowd of kids, or somebodys car, or do I spend another hundred bucks to replace all of the servos??
PrinceLazar is offline Find More Posts by PrinceLazar
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceLazar View Post
I had my flap servo do the same thing after landing. It freaked out to the extreme extension and froze. There is no response in this servo now and I had to replace. Otherwise, I like these servos as I get a ful extension up and down for the flaps, but as you say it is not worth it. Plane flys great. I used small diameter carbon tubes with solid carbon rods inside for the rudder and elevator and these work very well. Flying today in 25 mph wind and got hairy at the landing. A gust throw the plane into a wooden fence post. Took a little chunk on the end of the wing, but any other plane I have would have broken it completely. This is one tough bird. I did put a layer of carbon fabric under the nose and up the side in the front. This really strengthens the fuse.
i ordered 6 new 17.5g metal gear servos just in case http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=254
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
i ordered 6 new 17.5g metal gear servos just in case http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=254
Those are a GREAT find! Better specs than the ones I got:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17322
13 grams, metal gears, ball bearing
Stall torque 2.3kg-cm at 4.8V
Speed .12sec for 60 degrees at 4.8V

...and yours don't have to be shipped from China!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn