SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:53 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco230 View Post
The link you give for how to link up ftdi cable doesn't work. tomorrow i receive one
Here's a picture showing how to connect the Naza GPS directly to a computer with a FTDI cable.

Again the point being to use the GPS satellite signal strength info to see if a particular electronic device (GoPro, video transmitter, etc.) hurts the signal. No need to solder a wire and run it out of the case if you are only going to do this once or twice, hence the clothespin method.

I never needed to add a SAW filter for any of my electronics. Even if some electronic device causes problems enough separation distance could take care of it. If not, the SAW filter has a reasonably good chance to help.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:15 AM
falco230
Joined Sep 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehx View Post
Here's a picture showing how to connect the Naza GPS directly to a computer with a FTDI cable.

Again the point being to use the GPS satellite signal strength info to see if a particular electronic device (GoPro, video transmitter, etc.) hurts the signal. No need to solder a wire and run it out of the case if you are only going to do this once or twice, hence the clothespin method.

I never needed to add a SAW filter for any of my electronics. Even if some electronic device causes problems enough separation distance could take care of it. If not, the SAW filter has a reasonably good chance to help.

DJI phantom 1 with zenmuse and video transmitter

Thank you for this perfect infomation, I received the cable FTDI cable and i am ready to test.

Can you help me out with connecting the saw filter to my dji phantom GPS.
I send you a picture of my GPS and this is the saw filter that I want to use ( I can get this in Spain FAR-F6KA-1G5754-L4AB-Z (Brand: Taiyo Yuden)
Data sheet of product:
http://www.yuden.co.jp/productdata/sh...
I want to improve recepcion of the GPS.
I now also now that by switching on my Video transmitter after powering up and waiting for the GPS to the at least 6 GPS I solved my GPS signal problem.

Would like to put the sawfilter anyway for safety matters

Thanks

Regards,
Falco a dutchman in spain
falco230 is offline Find More Posts by falco230
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:28 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
It looks like your Phantom's GPS already has the SAW filter in it!

In any case, here is PepsiCola's "How To" on this mod:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1863430

and a picture of one soldered in:

Cheers,
Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:33 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
Here is what PepsiCola had to say about what is found in the Phantom (his post #25):

Quote:
...That appears to be an Avago ALM-1912 GPS filter and LNA module, which is a great little chip with 19.3dB passband gain and rejection of 50dB+ at non-GPS frequencies, manufactured in the 21st week of 2012. DJI does know how to add filtering to their GPS units after all.

My guess is you don't have many problems with RF interference on that unit. If you do, we'll need to find a different solution.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:59 AM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco230 View Post
I now also now that by switching on my Video transmitter after powering up and waiting for the GPS to the at least 6 GPS I solved my GPS signal problem.
This isn't really a good solution. Once a GPS signal is locked it needs less signal strength to stay locked so turning on your video transmitter after a lock can work, but you have much less headroom to play with. If you loose lock on a satellite during flight for any reason it may not come back as long as the video transmitter is on. Loose enough of them and suddenly position hold is having problems. While this method probably works a lot of the time there's some danger here. I expect many of the "flyaway" incidents are caused by this.

It's best to really reduce the GPS interference as much as possible and by monitoring the signal strength while powering up equipment and moving it around this should be easy to do. Where ever the interference is coming from - through the air or through wiring - it will show up on the signal strength monitor and you should be able to track it down. Good luck.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:20 PM
Wooster OH
Joined Oct 2003
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I assume that the 3pos switch is your U channel controlling flight mode (Atti, GPS, Man, etc.)
You have not set it up properly, or perhaps at all....
You need to get on the Assistant.
Go to the screen depicting the flight mode slider (Basic>RC)
Adjust your end points for the U channel (on the Tx) to bring the slider down into one of the desired ranges (should be ~80%).
All orange flashes (actually yellow) is Failsafe mode indicating that the U channel has not been correctly set and is out of the ranges required for your position 1 and position 3 flight modes.
Thanks for the help. It has been over 6 month since I have flown my quad. I that time I replaced the rx. That seems to have caused loss of settings. I have really gotten rusty. Nearly starting from square one.
GALENM is offline Find More Posts by GALENM
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:16 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALENM View Post
Thanks for the help. It has been over 6 month since I have flown my quad. I that time I replaced the rx. That seems to have caused loss of settings. I have really gotten rusty. Nearly starting from square one.
Glad to help...
And thank you for letting me know that you think you've solved the problem.
Many times we post help and never hear back from the original poster...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:20 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,718 Posts
@mark_q

good luck sourcing out the EPCOS B39162B9080L310 saw filter mentioned in that post
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:29 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
@mark_q

good luck sourcing out the EPCOS B39162B9080L310 saw filter mentioned in that post

I know these can be a problem to source consistantly but I don't need one . I modded one over a year ago and it still works perfectly. On my two Naza Lites I did the ehx method and simply used spacing to avoid interference. After doing the SAW mod, I wouldn't recomend it to anyone as the difference is not that great and there is some risk.

I just pointed the thread out for anyone with an interest.

Cheers
Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:35 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,718 Posts
yah I don't have any issues but remember looking for the part way back when I saw those posts and couldn't find one, after looking again today wish anyone luck if they can find one
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member