HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:00 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
Discussion
range of 6000 series rx's

can anybody tell me, from his own experience, the figures has got from ground range tests of spektrum receivers:
AR6000;
6100;

as in: how many paces?
what am trying to learn is the difference between them.

thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 29, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,301 Posts
If you mean how far on a ground range test, the standard is 30 paces (or about 25m). In practice, they usually go a good deal further, but it depends on factors such as the dampness of the ground. I have never had any problem of range in the air with a Spektrum receiver that met the standard ground range test.

If you mean, how far in the air, it's measured in kilometers and is ample for any normal flying.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
thank you sir.
i should be more specific on my question, and i just changed the post to clarify that.
what am would like is to hear from people who have used the types i mention and have performed ground range tests, to see if there is some difference in range between them.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you sir.
i should be more specific on my question, and i just changed the post to clarify that.
what am would like is to hear from people who have used the types i mention and have performed ground range tests, to see if there is some difference in range between them.
Full power ground tests of any reliability are very hard to do and not particularly helpful unless they are done right. One careful series of tests a few years ago involved mounting the receivers on a high pole (50 feet as I recall) and driving off with the transmitter. The results ranged from 1-2 Km for an AR6100 to 3-5 Km for AR7000 and the full range Futabas. I don't know of any serious tests done since then. Those who are interested in long range now are generally doing FPV and get signal strength by telemetry in the air, where it counts.

Much more practical than full power testing is the reduced power ground range test, which in relative terms is just as accurate as long as the same transmitter is used for all tests. The reduced power (when bind button is pressed) is something like 1% of full power and cuts the range by a factor of something like 30 (all the numbers are off the top of my head, but the principles are OK).

To get reliable results, the receivers should be up off the ground on a dry wooden table or similar. The transmitter antenna should be aligned in the same way for each test (I aim for the worst case by pointing the antenna directly at the receiver). It's also important to move around the receiver to find the shortest range orientation.

I did this once when the AR6110 first came out, comparing it to an AR6100, using a DX7 transmitter. Both receivers of course easily exceeded the "30 paces" requirement and gave more like 40m. The AR6110 gave slightly better minimum range, which I put down to its dual monopole antenna arrangement, compared to the single dipole of the AR6100. But I didn't test more examples, so it could have been just sample variation.

I would expect the AR6110 to be a bit better than the AR6100 because of its less directional antenna setup. Keep in mind that what matters is the minimum range produced when the receiver and transmitter antennas are in the worst relative orientation. It's quite likely that a test that doesn't seek the worst case will show very similar results for the two receivers.

The general consensus based on both ground testing and use in the air is that there isn't much to choose between them but the AR6110 is perhaps slightly better. The really important point is that these receivers have plenty of range for any normal flying with small to medium-size models. The issue is not range per se, but reliability of signal at flying distances.

I've been using DSM2 receivers since 2007 and have never had a signal loss except in the case of one particular AR500, which was replaced by Horizon. (Sad to say, I have had various crashes related to control failure, but they were all related to bad contacts of one kind or another.)

The AR6000 is a different story from the AR6100 and AR6110, not only because it's the only one that uses the original DSM protocol, but also because it has two separate receivers internally, each with its own antenna. From all the reports, it seems to have very good range, as you might expect from this configuration. Many people claim it has significantly better range than the AR6100 or AR6110, but I don't know of any real testing, and now that it's long discontinued I wouldn't expect to see any. I have never used one.

I hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
thank you very much. very helpful.