SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by wamsy55, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:45 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
Discussion
How To Become A Better Pilot: Flying More Smooth

Becoming A Better Pilot: Flying Smooth (9 min 41 sec)

I hope this helps.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:46 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Thank you for taking time to teach others. Great job and it helped me. Nice flying by the way.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this video. Good job!

What sim program are you using?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:22 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Flying Smooth

Very nice video. I have been flying for 15 years, all kinds of planes, and I am a "free form" junkie. I love watching precision flying and everything you said in the video is true. I just never disciplined myself to do it in a pattern format. I watch Chris Hinson (owner of Extreme Flight planes) and other well known pattern flyers at my field and they are amazing. I enjoyed watching you fly my friend and taking time to inform others of what we should be trying to attain in order to take it to the next level. However, I am curious...I can't imagine how you nosed the plane over on landing. I saw a huge amount of down elevator on touchdown....did you do this for the video as a goof? LOL...just kidding...you are an amazing pilot...wish I was that good and precise.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:51 PM
Dleep
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
246 Posts
I agree

James
I saw Joe Smith flying a 62" Osiris last year and had the same revelation
you discribe in the video. I spent all last summer working on my turnarounds
point roles, and the moves I saw Joe do in that one afternoon. It realy is the
next step after 3-D stick banging. Just when I thought I was as good as I could
get flying 3-D. Pattern came along and I improved in areas I'd never considered.
Great Video Thanks
Dleep
dleep is offline Find More Posts by dleep
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
Right on...Wamsy....good advice.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
990 Posts
Good stuff bro! The videos keep getting better and they do help others. That's a great contribution! Do you think you will hit any IMAC contests at all? If so, let us know the when and where. Hope to fly at the same event someday!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team Tundra 2014
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Good stuff bro! The videos keep getting better and they do help others. That's a great contribution! Do you think you will hit any IMAC contests at all? If so, let us know the when and where. Hope to fly at the same event someday!
I plan on hitting some form of IMAC this year. Not sure when or where just yet though.

I will let you know!

Are you going to Joe Nall or SEFF?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
I plan on hitting some form of IMAC this year. Not sure when or where just yet though.

I will let you know!

Are you going to Joe Nall or SEFF?
Nall is a go right now though I am wishing I could do SEFF too after seeing stuff on here about it. Our friend Cody Wojcik is going to SEFF but he's doing Nall too I think AND Clover Creek. He's goin' crazy on the scene now. Were in the NE region IMAC and have signed up for 4 of them so far. I have judging school next weekend. But, definitely Nall. Just rented a golf cart LOL... Should be a blast. We'll have room in the RV if you'll be around. Renting one I believe and it sleeps like 6 but there will be just two of us. Probably taking 5 - 10 planes or so. What do you have planned?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Nall is a go right now though I am wishing I could do SEFF too after seeing stuff on here about it. Our friend Cody Wojcik is going to SEFF but he's doing Nall too I think AND Clover Creek. He's goin' crazy on the scene now. Were in the NE region IMAC and have signed up for 4 of them so far. I have judging school next weekend. But, definitely Nall. Just rented a golf cart LOL... Should be a blast. We'll have room in the RV if you'll be around. Renting one I believe and it sleeps like 6 but there will be just two of us. Probably taking 5 - 10 planes or so. What do you have planned?
Sweet. See ya there!

Cody is an awesome pilot from what I have seen. I want to fly like him, also Joe S and Daniel H. Those are the guys I wanna be half as good as.

Not much IMAC in our state unfortunately so, I may hit maybe one two. Though I will practice it for XFC in the future. Me and my dad are coming down in our trailer. Not sure about specific dates, but it will be the last weekend. I will bring as many planes as possible.

We should meet up.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
990 Posts
Just before Nall I'll give you guys our number so we can fly, cook out and fly more...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
See ya at Nall RC!
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
990 Posts
See ya at Fly Low In too we hope
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Byron C
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
Hey Wamsy, great video. Excellent points made for taking it to the next level. The best pilots out there make their planes appear to be flying effortlessly, as if magically guided through the various sequences, the slow-N-low stuff, all seamlessly linked together to make for a really cool routine. The daily disciplined practice sessions required to improve is one of the things that keeps me interested in this hobby. There's always something new to learn, and something to polish up on. Many thanks for the how-to videos!

I've loaded up your tweaked Suriken model for Phoenix. BTW, thanks for making that available. Q: what do you normally have your setup dial adjusted to in Phoenix? The default on mine for the Suriken is in the mid 60% range. Also, which of your real models did you tweak the Suriken to fly similarly to? The 89 Slick by chance? It has a nice "floaty factor" making for good hovering, among other things.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Hey Wamsy, great video. Excellent points made for taking it to the next level. The best pilots out there make their planes appear to be flying effortlessly, as if magically guided through the various sequences, the slow-N-low stuff, all seamlessly linked together to make for a really cool routine. The daily disciplined practice sessions required to improve is one of the things that keeps me interested in this hobby. There's always something new to learn, and something to polish up on. Many thanks for the how-to videos!

I've loaded up your tweaked Suriken model for Phoenix. BTW, thanks for making that available. Q: what do you normally have your setup dial adjusted to in Phoenix? The default on mine for the Suriken is in the mid 60% range. Also, which of your real models did you tweak the Suriken to fly similarly to? The 89 Slick by chance? It has a nice "floaty factor" making for good hovering, among other things.
I just tweaked it to fly realistically. I didn't really try to recreate a plane on the sim as the real planes fly so much better.

I am not sure what I had the dial setup as, probably whatever it is normally.