HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Build Log
RC Aerodyne 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS-550 **COMPLETE!!**

Ever since finishing my 500-sized Blackhawk build, I realized I'm enjoying scale heli flight as opposed to sport/aerobatic. So I bit the bullet finally and ordered a 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS550 from RC Aerodyne for my T-Rex 600e. I picked that one mainly because the installation of the heli mechanics seems straightforward. Besides that, it comes with an LED lighting kit, weapons set, cockpit kit, and pre-painted. Should be able to complete the build quickly and easily.

The link to the fuse is here. It was my birthday present to myself (Wednesday was my 40th), and it's scheduled to be here next Thursday. Will update the thread with pics once I receive the fuse.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike_Then; Dec 19, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Modified title - cause I'm done!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,765 Posts
Congrats, and that looks like a beautiful machine!

Have fun building and flying it!

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,446 Posts
Mike:

I have also chosen that heli for my second 550. I have the boom and torque tube already for it and when the LHS gets things setup with RCA, it is on the first group of kits to come it. I have already downloaded a number of pictures of the real ones so that I can finishe it off to match. Have fun and posts pics if you can.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
I checked the UPS tracking last night and much to my surprise, the fuse will be here today, a day early. Can't wait to get my hands on it. The T-Rex 600e flies great so no mechanical adjustments nor pre-installation flights will be necessary. I'm hoping for a very quick installation, especially since I learned a lot with the Blackhawk 500-sized install.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Ever since finishing my 500-sized Blackhawk build, I realized I'm enjoying scale heli flight as opposed to sport/aerobatic. So I bit the bullet finally and ordered a 600-sized Eurocopter Fennec AS550 from RC Aerodyne for my T-Rex 600e. I picked that one mainly because the installation of the heli mechanics seems straightforward. Besides that, it comes with an LED lighting kit, weapons set, cockpit kit, and pre-painted. Should be able to complete the build quickly and easily.

The link to the fuse is here. It was my birthday present to myself (Wednesday was my 40th), and it's scheduled to be here next Thursday. Will update the thread with pics once I receive the fuse.
I see you're moving up to a 600. Awesome nice fuse. Keep. The pics coming.
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Got the fuselage last night. The outside shipping carton looked like it was through the wringer but RC Aerodyne knows what they are doing... the fuse was triple boxed and the contents were flawless. Unpacked everything and the only issue was that I'm missing the scale cockpit kit... everything else was there and individually wrapped/bagged and in perfect shape. I've already dispatched a request to RC Aerodyne to have them ship me the cockpit kit. Not like I'm really missing it, but it's the principle of the thing... I paid for it, it's supposed to be part of it, you know?

Anyway, the instructions are lacking but I was able to complete the first part, which is to build the wooden frame that the landing skids and mechanics mount to. I built the front/back and the main frame, and set them aside to dry. I also glued a couple of the missiles together. That's about all I had time for last night but I did take pictures and hope to post them tonight.

My initial question is how to join the front fuselage to the tail (it's in two pieces). I guess glue it, once everything is positioned correctly?

When opening a support ticket with RC Aerodyne, I saw they had a manual on the product page... never noticed that before in all the times I looked at it so I downloaded/printed it. It's MUCH better than the manual that came with the fuse and can't wait to work on it tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:46 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Got a lot of work done today. Mounted a few lights, and did a lot of painting. Pics are below.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,776 Posts
Excellent work!
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:25 PM
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Feb 2004
11 Posts
Great work I will be posting my apache 500 build log up soon. You using 3 mm or 5 mm LEDs for your lights. I saw you asking early about the tail boom and mounting. Do you have enough room to mount a few square pieces of ply and place a screw on each side to secure it in case you have to access the rear of the helicopter.i have seem it done in the past with that type of fuse.

Mike
armyrcer is offline Find More Posts by armyrcer
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,446 Posts
Lookin' good, Mike.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm not sure about the lights... it's whatever came with the kit. There's not much room in the tail boom for wood blocks and screws... I thought about going that route but I think I'll just glue it together once everything is mounted and centered. It's a big heli and I don't know if I would trust screws, etc., especially because the fiberglass is not very thick back there. It doesn't line up perfectly so I've got visions of putty fillers and paint, but I don't know if I'm that brave.

Didn't really get much done last night, but hope to make some more progress tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:49 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted in a while... I simply haven't had a chance to work on the heli. Work is really picking up with the merger getting closer, plus I'm on call this week so the workshop has remained dark. I did, however, get some work done last night and since it's too windy to fly today, I plan to spend the afternoon in the workshop and make some serious progress on this thing.

I'll post a little later this evening with pics and an update!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
575 Posts
We want updates!!!!!!!
afjetmech is offline Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:28 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjetmech View Post
We want updates!!!!!!!
Did a little more work the other night. I just haven't had the time to work on it since last Saturday. I do have plenty of pics of the build so I'll try to get a nice update this weekend.
RCG Plus Member