1,448 Posts
Chicken/Egg.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:39 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
One way or the other, no jobs, no money spent, no recovery. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers!"
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
I wish the administration felt the same way as you and would create a job friendly environment. As it stands they seem to do everything they can to ensure no job growth.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:45 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
I can agree on perhaps some if not most of the regulatory issues, but some of the other arguments don't hold water in my view.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:46 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
It's still down to large companies to hire or not. No one is holding guns to their heads and saying "don't."
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
If we had any function brain cells in charge of things, none of this would be unexpected. Do they expect companies to hire and expand when the current talk is about government spending MORE money, and possibly upping taxes that would effect those that do the hiring?
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:57 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
A large company may one thing in common with poor old me; What money I have, I'm saving for a rainy day. It is time for us to buy a new car but I'd rather wait see what the "weather" brings. My planned vacation this year is the East Coast after peak season instead of a warm Pacific Isle. Those Palm trees will be there next year and hopefully so will that Ridgeline.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:01 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
6 months ago employers knew they had a stable tax rate for two more years. Why didn't they make hay while the sun shines. Its not as if they're afraid to hand out the pink slips if the rate goes up again later.

Wasn't that the big argument, how hiring could not take place if the tax rate went up? It didn't go up, so where are the jobs? There was supposed to be jobs! We got snookered.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:07 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
6 months ago employers knew they had a stable tax rate for two more years. Why didn't they make hay while the sun shines. Its not as if they're afraid to hand out the pink slips if the rate goes up again later.

Wasn't that the big argument, how hiring could not take place if the tax rate went up? It didn't go up, so where are the jobs? There was supposed to be jobs! We got snookered.
As usual...
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:08 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
If we had any function brain cells in charge of things, none of this would be unexpected. Do they expect companies to hire and expand when the current talk is about government spending MORE money, and possibly upping taxes that would effect those that do the hiring?
One thing you can (and MUST) assume is that things will ALWAYS go up. This is little different.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:09 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
A large company may one thing in common with poor old me; What money I have, I'm saving for a rainy day. It is time for us to buy a new car but I'd rather wait see what the "weather" brings. My planned vacation this year is the East Coast after peak season instead of a warm Pacific Isle. Those Palm trees will be there next year and hopefully so will that Ridgeline.
Many companies are sitting on RECORD piles of cash and looking to merge & acquire. IMO, if they were smart they'd stick with what they know and improve THAT. Many of these end being divested later anyhow (Saab, anyone?).
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
One thing you can (and MUST) assume is that things will ALWAYS go up. This is little different.
If government spending continues to go up, there will be no future. One one promised by our founders for our posterity.

Quote:
Many companies are sitting on RECORD piles of cash
So? Is it our job, or governments job to tell them what the must do with it?
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:19 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
If government spending continues to go up, there will be no future. One one promised by our founders for our posterity.

So? Is it our job, or governments job to tell them what the must do with it?
Yes, spending has to be cut, but with a rapier, not a machete.

No, but it makes you wonder whether they care about the long term health of their companies and our country.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
No, but it makes you wonder whether they care about the long term health of their companies and our country.
They are taking care of their companies. Far better than government is taking care of the nation.