SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
aileron servo mount

Hi

I am new to the DLG scene and have built one sailplane so far. How are people mounting their aileron servos? I have carved the wells out of the bagged wings and am ready to mount. It is a TopSky.

I have seen Paul Naton's videos but I just don't know about low tack masking tape. I am temped to just glue them in although removal will be destructive.

I am using good quality Hyperion servos and I think them unlikely to strip.

Thanks for the input.
helijamie is offline Find More Posts by helijamie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
856 Posts
Hyperion 09 servos have been known to have some potentiometer issues in the past and as you know "sh@t happens". This is true for ALL servos and brands.
The epoxy over the tape method works well and gives you the possibility of maintenance which is important.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,522 Posts
helijamie:

I use the masking tape almost exclusively. Wrap the servo meatly, drop in a dab of epoxy and press it home.

Other methods that have worked for me include a close-fitting pocket with the servo flush with the bottom surface of the wing. Package wrapping tape over the opening holds things just fine. I have also buried servos pretty deep (for top drive, for instance) and then I fill the opening with sheet balsa of appropriate thickness, and then package wrapping tape over that.

I have also used bathroom caulk. Just squeeze in a good amount, press the clean servo home and wipe off the excess. The caulk peels off the plastic if there is a need to remove the servo.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:09 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2009
137 Posts
I like wrapping the servos with heatshrink tube instead of tape, then gluing in with epoxy. PVC heat-shrink (the type usually found over batteries) is better than polyolefin (the usual electrical stuff), but since I can't find PVC locally, I've used the polyolefin stuff without trouble. I've even used Gorilla Glue successfully to glue heat-shink wrapped servos into the fuse.

I've heard stories of masking tape getting gooey in the heat, but seeing as you live in BC, that's probably not much of a concern.
Chris Sutton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Sutton
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:57 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,789 Posts
Also - don't worry too much about messing up some foam if you are faced with removing a glued-in servo. I've done that before, and sure enough have torn our a fair bit of foam with the servo.

The good news is that you can easily "replace" the missing foam by carefully filling the voids with a super light mix of microballoons and epoxy, or even superlight spackle, using a piece of plastic or cardboard as a custom putty knife to get it in there nice and smooth. Then insert the replacement servo as usual. You'll never notice the difference.

repeat as necessary
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member