SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:12 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Discussion
Fitter

Hi guys. Let me introduce model of airplane. It is difficult enough but very interesting to design this around EDF 70mm. It had taken a lot of time to choose between two Fitters: Su 17 or Su 17 M? The latter more challenging, fiends. And I had chosen this one.
To the moment the process of building is started. And lot of job has been done. If you don't mind I will show some pictures. First step is Solid Works...
SEM is offline Find More Posts by SEM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:48 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,751 Posts
Cool project! please post more
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:38 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,737 Posts
Why would the M be more challenging? I vote for the M for looks only. The Su-17 has always been an intriguing design to me.

Looks like a fun project!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:02 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Thank you guys for your attention to the project. A year ago I had made Su 7. Su 7 and Su17 fuselages look the same. And now I am interested in attractive shapes of the Su 17 M(22).
The inlet of Su 17(M) has supersonic cune. Unfortunately in so small foam model cune will be absent.
According to the rules and laws of EDF designing the long inlet is tapering tube. Without any barriers for moving air stream. This condition is very important. And it has made my brain work very hard.
I have found a lot of garbage. Pieces of foam, carbon,balsa... And that pile will have to be come Fitter.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:12 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hi all.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:01 PM
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
753 Posts
Please keep posting photos, this looks like a very unique project. The Fitter and Flogger look great in my opinion.
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:26 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Good day, friends! Alpha.MotionRC I have the same opinion about The Fitter and Flogger.
I have to give some comments to previous pictures, guys.
I have created the long inlet tube from 0.8 mm paper. It gives more inflexibility to foam of forward part of plane. Without that only foam inlet won't be protected. More over it is very difficult to build 80 cm of length light tube with smooth surface through the foam. By the way this tapering paper tube is a part of planes "skeleton". The inside white surface I had painted by slate pencil.
And now it looks as if it is made from aluminum ))). Only one disadvantage... It is too heavy and weights 50 gr . The total weight of this plane can't be more than 900 gr. In general the lighter the better . Because wings area is small. And chance to get too heavy load on the wing is increasing.

In general, friends, this project is an experiment. I only want to get experience and don't pay attention on quality of outside shapes.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:39 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hi all! During the building I regularly pay attention on the redundant weight of model. Especially in back part of fuselage. So I used the lightest materials for fuselage details and regularly weighted them by the kitchen scales. I even had divided foam panels of 6mm thickness for 3 mm panels . I used them for skin around fan and for some parts of wing.

Su 17M4 shapes very comfortable for creating of battery box and cable canals. To decrease weight i had cut all of unnecessary parts of cables and even receivers box had been deleted. Cool. I had saved 11 gr.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:19 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hi friends! Vertical tail has been changed three times. As a result it was made from EPP 3-mm panels . I haven't forgotten about window for cooling ESC. In general tail looks as if it was natural.
It can't be landed on fuselage which has such shapes. Fuel tanks will have helped. I've changed their forms according with real purpose.
It's time to paint my Fitter. I rejected different camouflages. This plane needs special color.
Unfortunately at the moment whole planes weight over then it was planned. I doubt if I need a catapult?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:51 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,952 Posts
Looks great!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:32 PM
SEM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hi friends. Plane is ready and waits 1100 g. But it doesn't want to fly. I had made a mistake. Now I have to move CG forward. And I will try decreasing total weight.
To this moment EDF has been moved forward for 150 mm. And CG has been moved for 60- 75 mm. I think the CG has taken correct place. At the same time I've changed the exit duct. It is longer but lighter then the previous one. I did tests. I've got 830 g of thrust from 130 mm duct and 810 g from 270 mm one.
I've cut part of paper entry duct. Cool! Plane has lost 20g. More over I will chop of electric cables to loose some grams. To be continued.