HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2006, 03:32 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Gallery
Flashlight cop ended my AP for the day.

We had sunlight today after weeks of cloudy dreary weather. I started flying from the mall parking lot when the flashlight cop (aka rent-a-cop) told me to stop flying and bring my 'TOY' down from the air. I told him I am just taking aerial photos - not bothering anyone. He said 'oh well bring it down now!' I simply told this teen (spiked hair and pimply face) that it is not a helicopter, this toy would cost him about a months wages, and would take about 5 min to glide down. I packed up and got ready to leave when I see the Cedar Rapids Police Helicopter coming my way and hovering about 300 feet on top of me. I assumed the kid called the cops and told them I was taking pictures from the air. I simply drove off to a new location for more photos where I was again met by the Cedar Rapids police helicopter. I got a few pics in before I left, here they are.....

-Dave

MM Magpie AP, kodak C7310
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2006, 05:58 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,129 Posts
As stupid as the whole situation is, if the security guard on private property tells you to leave, it becomes tresspassing at that point, you did good in just moving to another location. As far as the big, bad police helicopter, im sure they were just bored and eager to try a real live air to air intercept Had I been flying the helicopter, you could have taken pictures while your plane tumbled in the downwash
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2006, 07:01 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Every instance of air to air shots I've had with full scale - they came to check me out. Stayed a safe distance away from me and circled. I bet the second time you saw the chopper he was just bored like JP said, on an "intercept" call.
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Jan 07, 2006, 07:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBombDave
Every instance of air to air shots I've had with full scale - they came to check me out. Stayed a safe distance away from me and circled. I bet the second time you saw the chopper he was just bored like JP said, on an "intercept" call.
shows how much time they have on there hands if they did indeed come out there for a rc airplane, its not cheep to have a chopper in the air.pretty funny though .

Take care
Walt
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Jan 07, 2006, 07:45 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
It is foolish to use a commercial facility for -anything- unscheduled, without getting permission of the operators of the facility.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:06 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
It is foolish to use a commercial facility for -anything- unscheduled, without getting permission of the operators of the facility.
yea, I guess your right...

I was off in the corner of the mall by myself, only doing this to gain experience - not for profit. Sparky, did you get permission when you flew here ?

-Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:08 PM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
Guess we are all a bunch of fools then... (cept sparky maybe)
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:48 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
yea, I guess your right...

I was off in the corner of the mall by myself, only doing this to gain experience - not for profit. Sparky, did you get permission when you flew here ?

-Dave
From who?
No one there to ask, on Xmas day.
And there was no commercial business as there would be in a mall parking lot.
People shopping in malls are unaware of anyone else.
They're focused in on their wants, and the first time they see you, might be right after the "thump-thimp"!
They will drive over you if you're in their way!
Watch how they speed thru stop signs, crosswalks, the parking lots..
II've been nearly killed while on the -sidewalk- at a mall by some broad wrestling her monster truck and her cell-phone at the same time, driving up over the curb out of control.
A busy mall parking lot is the last place anyone should be devoting their attention to something in the sky.. the people on the ground won't even see you until... "thump, thump"..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jan 07, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2006, 10:43 PM
fortune favours the bold
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
The Creed of the AP'r : "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" . remember the beg part its worked for me sucessfully.
gjestico is offline Find More Posts by gjestico
Old Jan 08, 2006, 12:45 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,129 Posts
Yeah, I would just fly wherever I wanted if no one says anything, great. If some snot nosed pimple faced security guard comes and tells me to leave, I would just leave... No harm done.

I would never ask for permission, because with the paranoia about liability, you well never never get permission at most places. Once they tell you NO and you fly anways, then it can become more of a problem.

Keep on flying aviatordave !
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:28 AM
Europe
Joined Nov 2004
76 Posts
Last year in sweden I was flying at a remote location when the next morning a police helicopter was hovering over the spot I flew the day before...they probably saw it on radar! The area was famous for Russians fleeing to the west a few years back. Though it is all EU now they still have state of the art radar there!!!
ATPguy is offline Find More Posts by ATPguy
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:38 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
I maidened a plane on a large field near Pirbright, Surrey - I'd been in the air maybe half a pack when an army gazelle helicopter appeared and circled the field. I'd find it hard to believe that they have radar that can pick up a Zagi (no metal tape) at any distance. Maybe they pick up the TX ? I put it down to coincedence at the time.

There are barracks (logistics and bullying) at Pirbright, and the Army obviously has a big presence at Aldershot.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 08, 2006, 06:40 AM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
I maidened a plane on a large field near Pirbright, Surrey - I'd been in the air maybe half a pack when an army gazelle helicopter appeared and circled the field. I'd find it hard to believe that they have radar that can pick up a Zagi (no metal tape) at any distance. Maybe they pick up the TX ? I put it down to coincedence at the time.

There are barracks (logistics and bullying) at Pirbright, and the Army obviously has a big presence at Aldershot.

Adam
Which is why I'm kinda put off by doing too much around here(Aldershot/Farnborough).............
I'd like to get over to the Rushmoor arena to get some AP of the OLD DUKE on his horse........I just wonder what the boys with the Red Caps would say?

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer