HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:12 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
That's certainly one option. You could also switch to one like the Aero-naut spinners that are held on with screws.

On the other hand, ask yourself WHY the guys who thought up ALES put in these two rules - no skegs and no shed parts on landing?

Seems pretty obvious to me that they wanted to keep people from doing dork landings.

So a third option would be to learn to land with less energy.

I know, its something NEW and DIFFERENT and therefore BAD, but you might like it if you try it
after all the information brought to me in this thread, I'm not so convinced that the screw on types are safe anymore.

so far, the RFM spinners seem the most safe...they are soft, glued on, and snub nosed.

Ryan, I'll send you one, and you can test it on the ham...I'm thinking the ham will win.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; Jun 23, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:53 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,418 Posts
Quote:
Now Im flying an RES Bubble Dancer, but it has a small outrunner bolted to an 1/8" lite-ply firewall and the pod is light weight balsa with a very thin layer of glass over it. No way would it survive a dork either.
I think you would find if you built a pod using the plans layup you can be fairly aggressive with it if you chose to.

Quote:
Id guess Im averaging around 30-40 points on a 10 meter tape at the away field where I go to most contests. At our home field I use a 5 meter tape and IIRC have a somewhat lower average with fewer 50's. That 1/2 meter diameter circle is more difficult to hit consistently.
I have an Allegro Lite (the formerly spinnerless model I posted pictures of that has been the source of a lot of the fun in this thread) and used to have a Bubble Dancer (tow hook only). Those models kind of pancake with full spoiler. So like you I don't tend to spike them. The slightly oversized lack of a spinner combined with the sub rudder on the Allegro tends to have a skeg like effect too and the Allegro doesn't slide much. I typically land using a 100 inch tape at 1 point per inch and my average is about 65 with the Allegro. I can average about 75 with my Tragi (6 servo 3ish meter molded model) with a skeg and a bit of a spike technique. On the 10 meter ALES tape that would probably work out to about a 42 average with the Allegro and about a 46 average with the Tragi.

Is that ~4 point difference going to make a difference in ALES I'm not sure. I have only been to one ALES contest and I was a bit surprised how aggressively some of the pilots were spiking the landings. That was more aggressive than I have ever been with a model with a motor in it.

There is a reason folks do dork landings in TD and F3J contests. That I'm aware of there is only one realistic way to eliminate those kind of landings.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:00 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,418 Posts
Regarding the hamhocks deal it will be a bit before I can get to that testing. I don't have as much modeling time as I used to a few years ago.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke