http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...l-flying-robot
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Saw that. IMO it is overpriced, has iffy claims for flight times/specs, and they upped the price to get the packages. Where most people on these starter sites offer a second round at the same price but add perks when different goals are met.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline Find More Posts by Buckaroo Banzai
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:39 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
965 Posts
Time will show how good/bad will be. BTW I did not subscribe to Kickstarter. All new products have pediatric illnesses so, I will wait and see. I have to many other toys to play with in the meantime.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Looks nice-ish , not the best looking thing out there , i wouldnt invest as for that money i could build a little better.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Time will show how good/bad will be. BTW I did not subscribe to Kickstarter. All new products have pediatric illnesses so, I will wait and see. I have to many other toys to play with in the meantime.
I LOL'd at the bolded part. I agree with the "I have to many other toys to play with" part too.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:00 AM
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2013
926 Posts
These are neat "Tech Demos" just not sure I see buying one based on what they do.
EhnTeePee is offline Find More Posts by EhnTeePee
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Jun 2013
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Looks nice-ish , not the best looking thing out there , i wouldnt invest as for that money i could build a little better.
That's just it: this product is targeted at RTF/ARF segment not scratch builders. The price point makes more sense in one context vs the other.
wintermoot is offline Find More Posts by wintermoot
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2013
33 Posts
I can imagine if a heap of people buy these things, people might start writing software for them to do boring little tasks like, getting the mail, taking garbage out, picking up the kids. Just kidding.
odinsgaze is offline Find More Posts by odinsgaze
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2002
382 Posts
Yea interesting concept looks cool but I would have to see it fly in the air and have some one really air it out to see what its made of.
JasonD is offline Find More Posts by JasonD
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Jun 2013
285 Posts
Tough sell without videos showing how it performs imo. I don't see it outperforming
Simplecopter.com T copter demo flight (6 min 33 sec)
^_^
Last edited by wintermoot; Jan 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:57 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermoot View Post
Tough sell without videos showing how it performs imo. I don't see it outperforming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8ICP9Tr9E ^_^
That was cool.

I saw your post over on the extreme thread asking some people to jump in and give an opinion. I did notice on your post that you said FPV added to the RCL Extreme in comparison.

This kickstarter tri doesn't have FPV so that would be an added cost for VTX and VRX on top of the money being asked now. Will it take the added weight an fpv setup and how would it be powered? Also I saw they recommended people use the gopro wifi for FPV which worries me because from what I understand wifi interferes with the 2.4 tx that it looks like they will be using and if you are using wifi to fly it instead how would you also get video without latency or lag or other issues etc.

I'm keeping a close eye on that one though.

edit: Not sure about the overpriced statement I made earlier though it really depends on what this can actually do compared to their sales pitch about personal drones/robots fluff.
Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; Jan 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:11 AM
Joined Jun 2013
285 Posts
BB, I have a 808 #16 and the RCL 5.8ghz vtx/vrx that I'd end up using with whichever mini brushless craft I buy into. So like a 55 gram payload.

So yes, interference issues need to be clarified for this tri rotor since they will be using both 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, and wifi out of the box.

They also need to post an acro vid before I'd be willing to throw down!
Last edited by wintermoot; Jan 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermoot View Post
BB, I have a 808 #16 and the RCL 5.8ghz vtx/vrx that I'd end up using with whichever mini brushless craft I buy into. So like a 55 gram payload.

So yes, interference issues need to be clarified for this tri rotor since they will be using both 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, and wifi out of the box.

They also need to post an acro vid before I'd be willing to throw down!
I'm about the same. I have FPV gear already and depending on the quad may just need a cable or battery to adjust it over.

I agree some clarifications are in order and some darn videos of the actual quad and from the camera.

I do think the frame is pretty darn cool and the props. Waiting to see about the rest too.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:28 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,396 Posts
All the pictures I see of it have really crappy contrast. Everything is black on black.

Also, GIZMODO has an article about it and has me immediately suspicious with the erroneous statement,

"One less motor means the craft can squeeze about 20 minutes of flight time from its rechargeable batteries, even with a GoPro attached, and it's also a lot quieter than a four-engined quadcopter. So it's wins all around."

That tells me either GIZMODO is talking complete garbage themselves or being fed it by the guys building it.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:44 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,963 Posts
Im waiting to see actual footage of its (claimed) capabilities,nothing Ive found on this shows more than a small form factor multirotor. No doubt there is a lot of marketing going on. Many new products get picked apart before anyone actually flys them but eventually once they hit the masses is when we get real world experience and feedback from others. Most of the tech oriented websites are just re posting the marketing from the kickstarter page and a techsite presentation and Q&A etc. Im skeptical of the marketing and actual capability. If an actual demonstration video is posted please post it here so others can decide for themselves.
The Pocket Drone || KickStarter. (2 min 31 sec)

The Pocket Drone | CES 2014 Hardware Battlefield (15 min 37 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying