HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
96 Posts
Discussion
Alfa models problem fixing advice

Hi all,

we've had sun in the UK! I was so surprised I left my FW190D-9 (freshly painted but not yet constructed) in the car and the tail feathers have warped. Then trying to see if they would bend back I cracked the inner tail plane slightly.

Can anyone suggest the best way to correct the tailplane angle. It does go back under pressure so I don't know if it's just a re-gue job or using a hairdrier or whatever.

The second problem is the crack (and any new cracks I create). Is Gorilla glue best for that or does it expand too much? Ideally I'd use a toothpick to put glue in the crack then smear a thin layer over the join.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Hood

Hood is offline Find More Posts by Hood
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2010
96 Posts
Anyone? I'd presume the fix would be the same for any foamy?

Hood
Hood is offline Find More Posts by Hood
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,398 Posts
That's so annoying. Something we have to be very mindful of down here in the ozone hole. Earlier in the year I accidentally left my GWS 190 in the sun for about 10mins while I was flying my Alfa Corsair and the cowl got all bent and twisted

I had to do a similar repair on the tail on my Alfa MiG15 - at the fin/fuselage junction. On landing the MiG must have caught a wing tip in a tuft of grass and it set it into a violent tank-slapper - so much that the tail junction cracked through on one side like your tailplane but didn't completely break off. Also like yours it wasn't in perfect alignment anymore (some foam must have got compressed during the side-to-side whipping it took), ruling out an in-situ repair.

I fixed it by cutting the fin completely away from the fuselage with a very sharp new knife blade and then re-attached it using PU glue. I had to monitor it for a couple of hours to continually to check the alignment and wipe away excess glue as it foamed out onto the outside.

It flies as good as ever, but doesn't quite look as perfect as it once did.

Something else I have done with my first Corsair I put on the bungee was to separate the tailplane halves and insert a carbon rod spar - the Alfa tailplanes are purely monocoque with no internal structure. I thought the extra strength might have been needed.

Maybe you could do something similar while the tail is in pieces?
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:47 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,878 Posts
Shame.. I Love the look of Alfas.
Hate their Pricings and their Eggshell fragility though.
Looking at your piccie It seems that both sides of the stab are 'off'.
Even simple white glue works on the formed depron shells. Epoxy is quicker but both messy and heavy though IF the stab is no longer perpendicular to the fin, then cut the unbroken one as well.. insert a balsa (?) spar ( Hey! even light balsa is Muchos stronger than thin depron) and reglue the entire assembly accurately.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 03, 2013, 01:23 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Shame.. I Love the look of Alfas.
Hate their Pricings and their Eggshell fragility though.
You should check their prices direct from the website You might be surprised. Never agreed with the fragility comments - built to fly not to crash certainly, but I wouldn't have it any other way
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:07 AM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
717 Posts
I have to agree, fragility is not an issue. I've had Alfas with 200+ flights on them and they were as good as new at that point. The decals can be a bit tricky to get right and they won't stay on forever unless microset/microsol and varnish is used (but with that treatment they stay on as if they were painted).

Stay away from crashes and don't throw the model in and out of the car/storage and you have a great flying model for many years to come.
JonteSvensson is offline Find More Posts by JonteSvensson