HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2013, 09:06 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post

Eitherway $50 in glass will fix it up. I'll probably use my west epoxy but really tempted to just use polyurathane.

By the time I fix all the cracks all the balsa will be soaked in CA anyways!
I've used polycrylic minwax to glass several times, but it does take a bit to dry relative to epoxy finishing resins. But minwax works and is lighter. Though, epoxy is still stronger.
I glassed a Fly Fly f-86 90mm foam jet with minwax and it took me only an evening to do the entire plane.....did 3 coats of minwax.

I have finishing resin for a different very large project that needs as much strength as possible out of the glassing as the wings for this thing are holding a ton of weight all the way out at the tips(rotatable power systems).....think v-22 for weight at tips, just its not a v22 I'm making.....using ducted fan type setups
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
An update on the ESM quality debate, I lost my Sea Fury due to a failed throttle servo and messing up the subsequent emergency landing
So i bought another from the same shop (they have great service) got it home and unpacked it and found a few quality issues, one wingtip was bent and the covering was creased, the edge of the centre section had a similar fault
Straight back to the shop i went and exchanged it for a Top Flite P40, now this has not completely put me off ESM planes, in fact i would still consider another one.
However it does confirm to me that quality controll at the factory is not a high priorty
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old May 12, 2014, 09:08 AM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,085 Posts
I know this is an old posting, but I got to say, I have had the Hanger 9 B25 with 6s, 10,000 amp and sound system came out to 21pounds!!! And was still a great flying airplane.

But as one of the posters stated, it starts to look like crap quick, and thats how I feel about my Top Flite modles.

I have 2 Top Flite Gaints (P51, and P40 lost my P47 last year) and while I love them, I really think that ESM is a great buy! My p51 has 3 years on her and looks like she is very battle scard, and I hate how the covering wrinkels at an event.

But I think I will fiberglass it this winter, so it will be like haveing a new bird.

Im currently building the ESM B25 with 2 ASP 180 4c converted to gas, while I know this is a much bigger bird, I would have to say it builds like any TF I have worked on and the hardward is not all that bad. Yes it is taking me 2x as long to build vs a TF but I think it will look better 2 X as long.

Im looking for a new 50cc corsair, and while I love the Hanger 9 corsair, Im scared of it being so soft like my other hanger 9 products. And the TF price is getting very high these days.
mikes68charger is online now Find More Posts by mikes68charger