Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:07 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
i need help, i think

This year im a freshman at Miami university and Iv noticed that I can't do almostanything I dont enjoy doing. This is like procrastination on steroids and I can't just live like this any longer. I am extremely smart, have lots of good friends and a strong relationship with God, but I just can't do things I dont enjoy. Im very disorganized and I also might have add. I spend way too much time on youtube and rcg. Anyone has any tips on how to get past this stage of life?
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
Kill your TV, stereo, internet, crack the books and dive in. Dont worry about smart, meet the assignment and then exceed it to your own satisfaction. Dont worry about what other people are doing. It's your time, maximize it.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:36 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,227 Posts
First thing is to realise that most people have to do things they don't want to do. If you have time to go to school, your ahead of a majority of the worlds population. Best advice I can give is: man up, and get past it.
Next best advise is: Look at what you do not like doing, to see if it really is something you should not be doing. If its something you should not be doing its ok to not do it.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:23 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo View Post
This year im a freshman at Miami university and Iv noticed that I can't do almostanything I dont enjoy doing. This is like procrastination on steroids and I can't just live like this any longer. I am extremely smart, have lots of good friends and a strong relationship with God, but I just can't do things I dont enjoy. Im very disorganized and I also might have add. I spend way too much time on youtube and rcg. Anyone has any tips on how to get past this stage of life?
I have/had the same problem.

You probably will not listen to me, but my advice is to sell your Xbox/TV/gaming PC, and only keep a computer good enough to do school work on.

Also, it isn't really a stage, I still fight with distractions. You just need the discipline to fight the urge to be a slacker. A doctor once told me (when I told him I really didn't want to deal with Adoral or whatever that drug was) that your brain has some pretty powerful cognitive reasoning abilities. You are not forced to follow the whims of whatever chemicals are floating around in your brain. Train yourself to stop, think about what you need to do (homework), think about what your crappy body wants to do (goof off), and remind yourself that your brain is in charge and that you can reason your way into doing what you should do.

Also, exercise. Seriously, you gotta move man. Nothing makes the body want to be lazy like being lazy.
BushmanLA is online now Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:25 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
How long have you been here in the States?

American foods and chemicals are very bad for you... Example PepsiCo/Gatorade having BVO in it. So if you live on Beverages and packaged processed food, switching to a Water and non processed food diet you will see a huge change.

Do NOT take pharmaceuticals for any of these issues!
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:31 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Agree with trashing social networks and distractions. Find interest in your studies by interacting with like minds on that. Study groups can be a social network
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
. I am extremely smart, have lots of good friends and a strong relationship with God,

you sure ?
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Last edited by fantasy1988; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:24 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy1988 View Post
you sure ?
Why would you ask?
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:25 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
It's part of growing up. We all have to do things we don't enjoy. School work is one of those things. You simply need to knuckle down and make it happen.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Why would you ask?
No problem, just is my questions. I saw him confidence

I think other people comment on you more accurate (
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
I have/had the same problem.

You probably will not listen to me, but my advice is to sell your Xbox/TV/gaming PC, and only keep a computer good enough to do school work on.

Also, it isn't really a stage, I still fight with distractions. You just need the discipline to fight the urge to be a slacker. A doctor once told me (when I told him I really didn't want to deal with Adoral or whatever that drug was) that your brain has some pretty powerful cognitive reasoning abilities. You are not forced to follow the whims of whatever chemicals are floating around in your brain. Train yourself to stop, think about what you need to do (homework), think about what your crappy body wants to do (goof off), and remind yourself that your brain is in charge and that you can reason your way into doing what you should do.

Also, exercise. Seriously, you gotta move man. Nothing makes the body want to be lazy like being lazy.
Thanks, that's defenitely the type of advice I need. Funnily enough I don't even play video games any more even though those were probably the biggest reason why I developed this habit. I also play badminton twice a week for two hours and ride my bike about 20 minutes each day.

@metieval I actually eat very healthy and rarely drink anything else than water.

I'll try to make good decisions for this week and see how it goes. No more youtube and I'll also try to avoid RCG.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
The best advice I can give you is this.

CHOOSE to do the thing you dislike the most, first. Work your way up from most disliked, to most liked. If you keep the worst liked to the end, you won't get there. Leave your vices (social networks, RCG, etc) as rewards for completing your icky stuff.

Start when you wake up, and most important, keep a constant schedule around your classes. Don't go to class straight from bed. Go to your classes after you are awake, fed, cleaned up, and alert. When you get out of a class, if you can, attack that assignment right away while the class is fresh in your mind.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,558 Posts
Not trying to be offensive but it is technically called, "Growing up." As for your relationship with God, Paul seemed to have the same problem because he spoke of it so plainly in Romans 7. But our guide isn't Paul, it is Jesus and His example. He carried His Cross out of obedience and set the example.

Quote:
Hebrews 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Telling every young person I ever employed that if they would remember that the prime reason they are working is for the satisfaction of actually having money in their pocket or purse. Later they learned that working is a blessing, not a curse and when your drive turns toward what it takes to make a living and afford a family, things might come into better order.

If it helps, my son is going through this also. He likewise is brilliant, but focus is his problem. Another problem he and I would imagine you have is summed up by this.

"As sure as somewhere the wind in blowing,
My mind is always and forever going,
Twisting and turning and playing its game,
Trying to assign to everything a logical name,
Being beckoned beyond your reason,
To think as God, is this treason."

Brilliance is something to be used a focused. You probably realize that many criminals are not lacking in mental horsepower. Your are beginning to write the story of your life and the ending is up to youl.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
I blame your parents.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Kill your TV, stereo, internet, crack the books and dive in. Dont worry about smart, meet the assignment and then exceed it to your own satisfaction. Dont worry about what other people are doing. It's your time, maximize it.
Actually great advice. I sold my television in college, and didn't get another until long after I graduated and got a job.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f