Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

Here's my latest update on the build. I'm pretty much done with the cutting as you can see in the picture with a pile of depron so it's time to start cranking. I guess you could call this the frame of the ship. This is the support for the main engineering section up to the saucer section. To support the saucer section, I used carbon fiber. I started adding depron to the main engineering section (hull) and then attached the upper left half of the saucer section which is made up of 3mm. The doublers are 6mm. This is where I started to do some of my freelancing trying to get this close to the B model. Remember I said B-ish
PaulDaniel is offline Find More Posts by PaulDaniel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

From Space Dock: Moving right along here. As you can see the ship is starting to take shape. I added the other side of the upper saucer section and then glued the warp engines to it. Here now is where there was a lot of trial fitting and lots of depron scrap. While the A model's warp engine supports come from the engineering section in the form of a V, the B model's warp engines are supported different as you can see. After I glued the warp engines on I measured the length between the middle of each engine, cut a piece of depron and then centered it on the decking that you see.

At each end of the depron I would need to cut upright supports for the warp engines. This took a lot of trial and error especially because of the size of the ship. More depron scraps. I put carbon fiber on the back and front of the cross section, flipped it over and finally figured out the correct measurements. The A model has some sort of support below the nacelles. I don't know, I might have added too much but won't know that until it flies. Next up is where the real fun begins, wiring for the lights.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

Time to light it up!
While this will look really cool in the air during daylight hours, I really wanted something that would look just as cool flying at night. My friend John, who's building the A model and I got together on an order of lights from Hobby King. Here's what we ended up getting:

Twin Strobes for the top and bottom of the saucer section. These things are fricking bright

Blue LED which will be used on the sensor array.

Red LED's which I'm using for the impulse engines. The B has 2 sets.

These JST harnesses worked out really well and saved us tons of time.

I got a set of blue ones which will be used on the outside of the warp engines.

We also got some white LED markers which for some reason I can't find right now on the HK site.

OK now a ton of images on how I stuffed all this stuff in. Wait until you see how cool this looks all lit up.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
378 Posts
USS Enterprise B build

Hey guys: Sorry but while I've been building and racing toward the finish line on completion for the ship, forgot about the updates. Here in Wisconsin, Spring has finally arrived. I've gotten one maiden in on my highly modified GWS Mustang but the Enterprise is not quite there. Looking for tall soft grass to cushion a hard landing....not that it will happen...just in case

The lighting is all in now and I'm about ready to close up the saucer section. Check it out. I can't wait to see it in the air, at night.
USS Enterprise B RC with lights (0 min 12 sec)

Drawing the lines on the bottom of the saucer section was a bit rough for me. For some reason I could not get the pen to work for me so I actually started over buy cutting new bottom saucer sections and then had my friend John help since he did such a great job on his A model.

Once I got the lines figured out, I decided to add some foam to give mine a more of a 3d view and of course I'm making this up as I'm going along. After I got the top all dialed in I added some color to it. This is blue tape as monocoat would not stick well. I'm working on the lettering and will update you all later this week. Boy I can't wait to fly this bad boy