HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Question
Which is the hottest 60" racer now days?

I had a Baudis Banana back in 2005 and I liked it alot. Which are the options of today or tomorrow? Any 2013 designs beating the Banana?
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:55 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
The Banana's where light and fragile . The Carbon bird is my air plane of choice ,then the Carbon Mini blade ,of course there is the D60 as well as a number of moulded planks available now like the wind burner or the new version of the Zipper with an improved foil . there is also the Sunbird 60 in a thread in this forum ,but I'd be a little worried about Quality issues in recent times
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
360 Posts
[QUOTE=steve wenban;Sunbird 60 in a thread in this forum ,but I'd be a little worried about Quality issues in recent times[/QUOTE]
Steve do you mean issues of quality from the original manufacturer of Sunbird or the HK equivalent?
Cliff
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:28 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16141 View Post
Steve do you mean issues of quality from the original manufacturer of Sunbird or the HK equivalent?
Cliff
one and the same manufacturer apparently, only the names have been changed to fool the innocent.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
yep its an RCRCM model being sold by HK
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,918 Posts
Mibo terminator is a great flying plane. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
1.5M/60" isn't very popular so there aren't very many choices. Although the DSmodel Ocelot holds the current WR in the 1.5M/60" class, the Aeromod Prodij-HM is the hottest 1.5M/60" F3F airframe currently in production. There are several models not in production that are probably as fast as the Prodij-HM, but the Prodij-HM is certainly one of the fastest I've ever seen. The Mibo Mini Terminator and the Aer-o-Tec Insect seem like they could be pretty fast, but they are unproven and very expensive. They might not be so bad since you are already in Europe. The Sunbird is not really a racer, it's more of an all-rounder.

You can still get the Baudis Banana, it isn't the absolute best airframe, but it is fast and definitely still capable of winning. Pilot skill is very important in the 1.5M/60" class and in the rare races it is quite common to see older designs upset newer ones, so it's not worth fretting too much over airframe advantages.
fillots is offline Find More Posts by fillots
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
yep its an RCRCM model being sold by HK
Thanks Steve,thanks gouch,same samevery interesting.Maybe more to follow suit?
Cliff
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillots View Post
Although the DSmodel Ocelot holds the current WR in the 1.5M/60" class, the Aeromod Prodij-HM is the hottest 1.5M/60" F3F airframe currently in production.1
Probably correct for f3f but certainly not the fastest 60 inch air frame which belongs to the D60 FWIW
Date Nov 18 2011
Pilot Joe Manor Speed 360mph Model Dynamic 60/D60
Location Weldon
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:22 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16141 View Post
Thanks Steve,thanks gouch,same samevery interesting.Maybe more to follow suit?
Cliff
they also do the typhoon which is called a cyclone or something. The prices obviously are cheaper than what they used to be, but something has to give with that reduction in profit margin.....
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
D60 is certainly fast on the frontside, needs a good blow to get the best from it tho.

I currently own a Carbon Bird and a Sunbird in the 60" class, but have also had the Banana and Flying Fish (aka Genesis). I was disappointed in the Banana, as mentioned too light and flexable. F/Fish was ok but lack of flaps meant that only flying it was enjoyable, landing was a bit hit or miss using spoilerons, but I don't get on with them TBH.

The layup on my Sunbird is good, it's not a HK or Olec supplied version, mine came from Sloperacer. It's my 2nd SB and the quality is noticably better than the earlier version I had. Wing skins and boom are noticably stiffer.

Flying wise there's not a lot of difference between the Bird and the SB. Last time I flew both back to back I think the SB was slightly faster, but it is slightly heavier. But there's not a lot in it.

I think you do have to consider what exactly HK are getting from Olec, HK's versions are a lot cheaper than the 2nds that Olec offer. Not sure I'd take the gamble of a HK version myself. But provided RCRCM's QC doesn't go down the pan due to knocking out to HK, I'd certainly get another Sunbird. They fly really well and the big flaps are fantastic for crow. However if their QC does go bad, then I think either the Ocelot I or a Prodij HM is next for me.

The Prodij is getting good reports but is top $$$ for a 60", but still cheaper than a D60 (in the UK anyway).
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,962 Posts
I currently am flying a Prodij HM. Sold my Carbon Bird after getting the Prodij up and running. Both may have equal top end speed, but the Prodij is so much faster through turns, and accelerates quicker that it would leave the Bird behind in an F3F style competition. Both seem equally tough..the Bird has better build quality, but the Prodij has that unique Aeromod design thing going for it. Bird is the easier build out, by far.

I'm not sure if they are still available, but the Scorpion was a great flying, fast turning ship also.

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Thanks guys! As I understand it not much developments is beeing made in the 60" class. The D60 must be 3-4years old and the Ocelot must be closer to 10years old?!

I see the Sunbird at 1/3 the price of a D60, but with bad quality it might not be a good choice. For the price of a D60 I could get a 100" plane which also folds into a 60" package

I do like the 60" planes as you can toy with them on smaller slopes too in a way a 100" plane can't follow, but the 100" plane would fly on less wind I'm sure.

as always, I wish there was a $4k budget
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,623 Posts
You can't beat a mini dragon or Fredy for bang for your buck or hoon ability. It will also scape around in surprisingly light lift, but the heavier the better, load it up with ballast, fly it in 30 plus, and it's transformed to one of the fastest baddest ship out there.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Forgot I owned a MD....

I prefered my Bird to the Mini Dragon too.

If you consider a Sunbird get from a reputable dealer like Susa, although I've never dealt with them it comes across that they won't get the 2nd's (or maybe 3rd's in HK's case )
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo