Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Download
Full Size Voodoo Plan

I've posted a full-size PDF format plan for Riley Wooten's immortal Voodoo control line combat model published in the July 1961 issue of Model Airplane News to the Vintage and Old Timer Plans forum on rcgroups.com:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...65873&page=720

Bob Keller
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:30 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Thanks a lot, Bob! I have downloaded your pdf file into my "Plans" folder.

The VooDoo is a nostalgic favorite of mine, too! Loved the last sport flyer one I built. Flew it many, many times for many years before the leading edge failed. (The leading edge wood was too soft/light for a leading edge... live and learn.)
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Thanks a lot, Bob! I have downloaded your pdf file into my "Plans" folder.

The VooDoo is a nostalgic favorite of mine, too! Loved the last sport flyer one I built. Flew it many, many times for many years before the leading edge failed. (The leading edge wood was too soft/light for a leading edge... live and learn.)
Most of the wing strength in a VooDoo is in that LE. It was probably the most popular kit Combat design of all time; the Ringmaster of it's league.
Scarinizi's "Blitz" has a better wing construction and flies similar although it was never a kit and never as popular.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Yup on the LE being the strength of the VooDoo's wing. With a single spar, there is no truss box strength to speak of.

The aforementioned VooDoo was built from a repli-kit. The LE felt very light... but at the time thought it a good thing. After a couple years of flying it, a crack appeared on the LE on the outboard wing by the motor pod. Cut into it, and strengthed it with a plywood laminate as best I could. This helped it hold for several more years.

Should I ever build another VooDoo... I will select hard balsa for the LE.

Blitz:

Always thought it an interesting plane. Having looked over the plans many times... it would NOT be an easy combat plane to build. Seem's most of Larry's designs were that way. (His Super Satan, for example.) I can't imagine building his models by the dozens to be competitive "back then". Way too complicated. IMHO, Larry was more of a designer, craftsman, and tech-nerd than a serious combat flyer. He just loved developing and tinkering. He had superlative building skills and also had excellent flying skills... but just didn't get heavily into the competition combat scene. I can understand that completely! Few flyers were as fun to be around as Larry. He is indeed a blast to be with. I do hope he's doing well.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,878 Posts
Disagree... Voodoo is a fairly typical/simple build Combat model.
Nothing extra or out of the ordinary in there.
Even the deceptively simple appearing current foam winged Combat models are Far more complex/demanding to build.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Disagree... Voodoo is a fairly typical/simple build Combat model.
Nothing extra or out of the ordinary in there.
Even the deceptively simple appearing current foam winged Combat models are Far more complex/demanding to build.
He's talking about the Blitz, not the VooDoo and he is correct.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Agree on Larry S. He had that oddball Stunt design- the name escapes me right now- where half of the wing was flaps, just as another example.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
In the mid 70's, I always used a leading edge that weighed at least 1 oz
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Hi Bare:

Yup, JK is right, I was talking about the Blitz.

The VooDoo is indeed straight forward, especially if you can find a pre-formed LE that matches the template made from the original. Super easy then.

About the only combat wing I can think of that is even easier to build than the VooDoo would be the Wooten "Demon". They are so simple a cave man could do it. Fast to build, too.

The "Fox Feathers" was also easy-peasy... but it was, for all practical purposes, a modified Demon.

FWIW:

Given the simplistic design and fast building qualities of the Demon, I used them to learn to fly combat models and learn the stunt pattern. I would build them 2-3 at a time over the course of the week nights (and these were all silk and dope covered, too) and have them ready for the flying field by Sunday. If I had a particularly bad day learning... it was bring the pieces home in a sack, gut/reuse the controls and start building another batch. This went on for a few weeks... but soon I had the entire pattern down and really learned how to build good airplanes.

Such an approach had a high attrition rate... but I learned to handle the fast speeds of combat planes as I also learned the manuevers. It worked. Within a month or so, I went from building terrible airplanes and sucky at flying to being the second hottest handle at the flying field and becoming a cocky showboater! Ah, to be young and fearless again!

EDIT:

BTW Bare: I agree 100% on the deceptive build time of the so-called easy foamies. Plus, they are nowhere NEAR as rewarding/fun to build. I have built/torn up foamies (in combat matches) by the dozens and NONE of them EVER had the "panache" of a nice looking built-up wing. Simply put: The built up combat wings of the Sizzlin' Sixties were indeed the mostest funnest control line things I've ever put up in the air.
Last edited by LA Ming; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,878 Posts
Perhaps.. Do know that the occaisional built up wing models, Mezjlk usually, rarely survive One match. Less entertaining than the usual foam snow even.
Tried a built up slow type a few months back. Flying it was close to watching paint dry slow/boring.
Imo only flying stunt could be more sleep inducing :-)
Here's a pair of Jeff Dawson (out of San Antonio) Fast combat models.
He assembly line builds these and they are simply 'perfect' builds, these..could not.. be better made.. true.
Sells 'em for $50 plus shipping..
Unbelievable, one would be hard pressed to buy the materials and diy one for similar costs.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
I don't interfere in his model sales, but I thought they cost more to order in batches smaller than six at a time, unless, of course, he wants to dispose of extras he built on spec / for his own use and you catch him in a close-out after a contest, such as the Grabber, is about done.

Lately, he's got his nose out of joint over how few Combat Guys want to keep on with Big Block 36s. I keep telling him to do what you and some others (Doc Passen, maybe?) kept on suggesting a few years ago. Keep the current event, but make it for 21s (well developed by the RC buggy racers), wide open, any fuel, any shutoff, & kills win the match. Keep the rules SIMPLE.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
I don't interfere in his model sales, but I thought they cost more to order in batches smaller than six at a time, unless, of course, he wants to dispose of extras he built on spec / for his own use and you catch him in a close-out after a contest, such as the Grabber, is about done.

Lately, he's got his nose out of joint over how few Combat Guys want to keep on with Big Block 36s. I keep telling him to do what you and some others (Doc Passen, maybe?) kept on suggesting a few years ago. Keep the current event, but make it for 21s (well developed by the RC buggy racers), wide open, any fuel, any shutoff, & kills win the match. Keep the rules SIMPLE.

Kiwi
Agree. Those days (of the .36s) are closing fast. You have to change to keep up. Pick whatever is the most commonly popular current motor size and then hot rod it. Keep it as simple as possible. It won't be very long before the remaining Combat guys are over-run by the electrics anyway as the ICs fade off into the past.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Quote:
...as the ICs fade off into the past.
NEVER!!!

36X engines FOREVER!!

(Bwhahahahahahahah!!!)

Andre
The World's Oldest Living Teenager
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
NEVER!!!

36X engines FOREVER!!

(Bwhahahahahahahah!!!)

Andre
The World's Oldest Living Teenager
Much as I love them, the unfortunate truth is that there simply isn't a support base either now or in the likely future that will allow the continued manufacture and use of same on a realistic basis. We will be reduced to a few rapidly aging adherants who have enough $s and/or machine skills to keep it going- for a while. When they are kaflooey, it goes the way of AMA B Team Race.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
I was referring to my brace of X engines. They'll last me the rest of my life. And, since I'm not the least bit interested in flying today's Fast Combat... then no worries here. Though I can appreciate the skill and dedication it takes to do well in it... I'm not interest in doing it.

Bare:

My above comment where I made mention that I enjoy the combat planes of the "Sizzlin' Sixties" more than "modern" stuff: Not that the old stuff flies better, which they don't, but because they're more fun to ME. Nostaglia thing as I age... 'ya know?