HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I posted this topic after I read about a RC meet where all Gigas were being jammed & could not fly.

Modelers asked if the police / anyone else, would shut down long enough to verify the higher powered vehicles were the jammers.
Officials said they could & would not shut down for a interference.check.

It was on RC Groups or Universe.

Interesting, I believe that in the U.S. the police and local governments are in the megahertz range of frequency. Thus not likely to be the 'authorities'.

I think that at SEFF a few years back, there where over 100 planes in the air at one time, not sure how that all happened.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
C4H10, what if we learn to control our planes with our minds and an Observer shows up on the "Fringe" of the field and reads you? Have you learned to block your thoughts yet? Hurry, it takes a year..... Dave/zeezee
I used to do the mind control thingy ... had to quit though as my golden retriever thoughts were interferring with the plane. She flew better than I did.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Dave, I got it covered.

And now for something totally different, I'm also going into the business of manufacturing foil-lined hats for those who want to be safe from....everyone else.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:50 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Raspberry jam....must be Lone Star!!!
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:52 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Try free flight. No worries about jamming. Or mind control is your next best option.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:12 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
The robustness of 2.4 is very dependent on the manufacture of your radio. Spektrum has the worst reputation for having RF link problem is high traffic areas. After I switch to Futaba FASST I have never had any more problems.
All Spektrum air systems are now DSMX which has frequency hopping and is arguably the most robust system currently out there, or at least as good as any other. It's certainly every bit as secure in high traffic environment as FASST.

There is nothing wrong with DSM2 unless you are in a massively high traffic area such as a big flying meeting where there may be in the order of 100 DSM2 Tx's all transmitting together, and so a real risk of grabbing the same two frequencies. If you don't fly at big meetings then it's no issue because the Tx will always grab two free frequencies when it's turned on.
Funnily enough the fact that all Spektrum systems are now DSMX frequency hopping should I think mean that the older DSM2 systems are more secure than they used to be in those big flying meetings. There is less and less chance of enough DSM2 Tx's being active to cause issues.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:22 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Not exactly true of some of the older systems like DSM2
DSM and DSM2 do not hop. They grab onto two frequencies and stay there.
There is no hopping with DSM2 which a great many users are still flying/using

That's true but it's still a very secure system because there are many frequencies available (maybe 100?) and the Tx picks two free ones when you turn it on. The chances of some source of interference randomly blocking those two frequencies at the same time is infinitesimally small in most scenarios.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I posted this topic after I read about a RC meet where all Gigas were being jammed & could not fly.

Modelers asked if the police / anyone else, would shut down long enough to verify the higher powered vehicles were the jammers.
Officials said they could & would not shut down for a interference.check.

It was on RC Groups or Universe.
It was a model boat pond inside a carnival. Poorly-maintained microwave ovens were more likely the problem than the police.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
I'm not surprised they couldn't fly, but I suspect the radio frequencies had less to do with it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It was a model boat pond inside a carnival.
Isn't it funny how these stories grow arms and legs in the telling
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Well actually not quite as bad as line of sight. Unlike sight 2.4GHz will pass though glass fibre, wood, film covering and/or foam without any real problem. If you consider your home 2.4GHz wireless connection that will actually pass through walls and closed doors etc albeit with reduced range.

It's metal and carbon fibre that block it outright so your batteries and motor and such like will cause shadows, hence the multiple aerials so they don't all get shadowed at once.
And dirt. Just try flying behind a little hill and bad stuff happens really fast. The planet makes a fine 2.4 GHz barrier. Even flying behind a sand dune blocks the signal. Don't ask how I know.....
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,210 Posts
Yeah, I guess that would be a problem, but if you chose to fly behind a hill then you would have the additional and not inconsiderable problem of not being able to see the plane, so lack of control would be a somewhat moot point

At least if you use an Rx with a failsafe the plane should fly straight when it loses signal, and with a bit of luck may come out from behind the other side of the hill.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,056 Posts
2 out of 3 ?

Friend bought 3.... 2.4 Gigas.
I did the binding for him. Odd condition on 2 recievers.
1 receiver locked up & failsafed perfectly.
Other 2 would bind. But would not go to throttle failsafe when transmitter was turned off.
He checked with the retailer. Said he was not the only person with a erratic or no failsafe.
They gave him a RA #..
They said replacements were available. Fair enough.

It is important to check every possible function on any equipment . Otherwise bad things can happen. Yes. It is a REAL PAIN to go thru all those parameters in the booklet with a plane tied down to the ground or bench.

Worth it ??
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,887 Posts
Jamming has been flagged up before -

SOMEONE is using Jammers or wayyyy overpowered 2.4ghz near my local park
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Interesting, I believe that in the U.S. the police and local governments are in the megahertz range of frequency. Thus not likely to be the 'authorities'.

I think that at SEFF a few years back, there where over 100 planes in the air at one time, not sure how that all happened.
You are correct! All of the fire & police freq we use are in MHz that I know. I am a firefighter and my brother is a state trooper here in Texas and all of our systems are MHz.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx