HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
Many people on this thread have suggested not to glue your fpv sky surfer fuselage halves together for easy re access to the innards of the fuse and instead tape the halves together- makes sense to me and I'm choosing not to glue with my build

I have painted my airframe and every time tape is removed, paint will come off with it-I'm sure I can get over it, but as an alternative or at least in addition to tape, what about holding the 2 fuse halves together with those Hobbyking rare earth magnets? I'll be using those magnets myself to hold the two wing halves together alone- will magnets alone, holding the fuse halves together be strong enough to hold everything inside? Will having a lot of magnets in a plane ( and the associated magnetic fields) interfere with all the electrical components ( osd, gps, Vtx, RX, antennas, camera etc) drastically? Will they add too much weight? What about rubber cement glue ( easy to remove with no damage to the foam) to hold the halves togther, possibly combined with magnets? Thanks for anyone's feedback and happy flying!
'Yes' to all your concerns regarding magnets!

You can try doublesided tape (1-2" strips) - even a weak, non-permanent tape will hold very well and is fairly easy to seperate. I'm using this with good results, just a few blobs of glue in the nose & tail.

If your paint job was done carefully (surface prep, etc), then you should find that fibre tape won't strip off the paintwork. I'd still opt for the access hatch option, it's just so much easier.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:10 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Some distance, a car, a laptop, and a Windsurfer directional on my omni, which actually helps a LOT, though there was some interference here and there but not too bad, I was getting a lot of rc glitches about 1.5km out and about 2000 feet up, I put that windsurfer on my antenna and it completely stopped glitching with exception to when I was accidentally aiming the thing a little off (you can see in the video when RTL kicks in).

It's the EZCap that is making everything jump, I wish my live view was what got recorded because it often is rock solid. I noticed the whiteness of my planes nose also contributed, so I put a graphic on my nose which did help a lot, but it's still quite bright. I saw an idea of putting some electrical tape on the top of the lens on the camera to act like a sunshade and I might try that tomorrow.
The added resistance didn't fix the problem you were having with EZCap?
Whats a windsurfer, is that a reflector thing for antenna? Can you show some pics please?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Just use velcro straps and be done with it. If you're concerned about what it will look like, who cares. You won't notice it anyway when you're up in the air flying.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
The added resistance didn't fix the problem you were having with EZCap?
Whats a windsurfer, is that a reflector thing for antenna? Can you show some pics please?
Here is a pic... Basically just a parabolic dish made with card stock and tin foil on the back :P Supposively it has 9db gain but I am not so sure about that.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I just added a access bay under the belly.. easy to access and can store everything in the fuselage now.
how did yo keep the carbon fiber spar in the belly intact with the bay there?
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
'Yes' to all your concerns regarding magnets!

You can try doublesided tape (1-2" strips) - even a weak, non-permanent tape will hold very well and is fairly easy to seperate. I'm using this with good results, just a few blobs of glue in the nose & tail.

If your paint job was done carefully (surface prep, etc), then you should find that fibre tape won't strip off the paintwork. I'd still opt for the access hatch option, it's just so much easier.
you mean magnets will cause interference? I have a Ham friend who think it would only mess with a magnetic compass..not sure now..this was my first painting experience- as an experiment to learn- tape does take a little, but not all the paint off- what is the double sided tape brand you are having success with and which glue are you adding? Regarding access hatches alternatively- not sure how to do that and not mess with the push rods(on either side of the fuse) or the carbon fiber spar (along the belly of the fuse- I have v1 sky surfer and comes with a groove specially made for a spar to be placed, so I guess it's important it stays there..)
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Got my new RCTimer 2200kv motor and new prop installed, happy to report all the vibes I got before are gone now! I can't wait to see what this motor can do in comparison to stock brushless .
RCG Plus Member
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Just use velcro straps and be done with it. If you're concerned about what it will look like, who cares. You won't notice it anyway when you're up in the air flying.
velcro straps to hold the fuse or wings together?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
sorry- I get it- straps to hold the fuse- (as opposed to strips to possibly hold the wings in place)- hmm- perhaps- but will create more drag and probably a lot more weight..
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Got my new RCTimer 2200kv motor and new prop installed, happy to report all the vibes I got before are gone now! I can't wait to see what this motor can do in comparison to stock brushless .
How many days did your order take to get to you? I'm just curious as I ordered mine about a week ago.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Here is a pic... Basically just a parabolic dish made with card stock and tin foil on the back :P Supposively it has 9db gain but I am not so sure about that.
Back in the days of analog TV, we use to use a metal coat hanger with aluminum foil wrap around it to "boost" our reception signal. It worked better then the "rabbit ears" type antenna.

It's nice to see that radio signal reception can still be increased with simple technology.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
312 Posts
Hi Guys, this is a progress update on the New OSD we are trying out on the Bixler, its the NOVA OSD. The first video was filmed from the ground by Thomas (My Son) and the second video is the OSD Feed with Voice Over to explain what was going on.

From the Ground
Nova OSD with RTH Ground Video FPV Flight - Hobby King Bixler RC Glider Update (11 min 19 sec)

From the OSD
NOVA OSD First Test of RTH and PA Mode on Hobby King Bixler RC Glider FPV Flight (6 min 51 sec)
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Back in the days of analog TV, we use to use a metal coat hanger with aluminum foil wrap around it to "boost" our reception signal. It worked better then the "rabbit ears" type antenna.

It's nice to see that radio signal reception can still be increased with simple technology.
alternatively you could purchase this 7bBi 2.4Ghz patch antenna for $7.95 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20108

check out this video of someone from rangevideo flying 20 km
RVOSD5+FRsky+amplifier+patch, 20km (6 min 14 sec)
and 40km
FRsky+1W amp+14dBi patch, 40km (7 min 3 sec)
away from 'home' with a Frsky 2.4 Ghz modded turnigy 9x radio with 1W amplifier and the above 7dbi patch antenna, combined with rangevideo's OSD/autopilot RVOSD5 (my chosen OSD)- the 40 km flight used a 14 dbi patch on the TX

the thread on this technology/the flights is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439219
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
How many days did your order take to get to you? I'm just curious as I ordered mine about a week ago.
Ordered mine from China on ebay, took about 2 weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
alternatively you could purchase this 7bBi 2.4Ghz patch antenna for $7.95 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20108

check out this video of someone from rangevideo flying 20 km https://vimeo.com/21469965 and 40km https://vimeo.com/23705882 away from 'home' with a Frsky 2.4 Ghz modded turnigy 9x radio with 1W amplifier and the above 7dbi patch antenna, combined with rangevideo's OSD/autopilot RVOSD5 (my chosen OSD)- the 40 km flight used a 14 dbi patch on the TX

the thread on this technology/the flights is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439219
So about how much would the RVOSD5 and the rangevideo OSD cost?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202