HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,320 Posts
If you clip the tips Scootr you will be cutting some of the washout that the wings have built in. May not be a big deal, but I would predict some tip stalls. I have put flat CF in my Cub dihedral wings with no problems. Yeah it sure looks like a deep slot when you cut it, but it will go in. I have also crashed one of these wings while flap testing my radio setup and it survived with just a crack near the flap cut out.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I need some input on a wing clip for the cubby. My first wing had 3 inches removed from the center. That wing had to be replaced. I went with a full width wing and now I wish for something sportier... CF rod prohibits a center cut....Has anybody clipped the wing tips?
i believe several people have clipped the wing tips instead of taking a chunk out of the center. i think cloaked is one and also Endlesslag:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5899
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5888

if it's a concern, get a new wing!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanz406 View Post
PART 1 : I just bought a HZ S/C last week, and after having read all the mods u guys did, I would like to make my contribution to this thread. I always hated the idea of using rubberbands on an airplane, and they just take away from a clean look. Besides that, I don't have to worry about running out of rubber bands, or them breaking.
Dean - good job and I heartily salute the spirit of modification demonstrated. If you're a really good pilot, this may be great.

The rubber bands do facilitate the absorption of wing dinging events. I'd be more interested in this kind of mod if there was an energy absorption or 'break away' system incorporated

But just saying, not criticizing. Again, I'm all for modifications.

Fun flyin',

Jackson
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:43 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Possible Brushless Upgrade

I upgraded my T-28 a couple of weeks ago to a Power 10 - what a blast it has been. That gives me enough in the parts bin to have some fun I think:
  • One T-28 Stock Motor
  • One T-28 Stock ESC
  • An AR500 RX that I have laying around
  • a fairly large collection of 2200maH packs

I recently put lights on my Super Cub - and between the extra weight of the lights, and all the glue I have put in the cub over the past couple of years, it will fly, but it labors a bit now. I suspect it will REALLY labor when I put the floats on it.

So... been thinking that it might be time to convert it to brushless. After a few minutes of research, I think if I pick up a P-51 motor mount, and some new servos I might be an evenings work away from having a night float flyer

I havent decided if now is the time to cut in ailerons - seems like it could be a pretty good idea, but I would like to move in steps.

I guess I lose the XPORT (too bad, I kinda like it, and its actually where Im powering my lights). I expect a fair amount of CG work, and obviously battery tray modifications to get the 2200 in there. Any other thoughts or cautions? Seems like it SHOULD be pretty straightforward...

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,320 Posts
Horizon is going to have the Xport adaptor available sometime in the future. Check the combat thread for the info.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Go with the Custom RC motor mount available from Custom RC or Heads Up RC
I think hobbbyzone even carries it now.
CG should not change drastically if you do the mod to stand your 2200mah battery up near the front of the battery compartment.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Go with the Custom RC motor mount available from Custom RC or Heads Up RC
I think hobbbyzone even carries it now.
CG should not change drastically if you do the mod to stand your 2200mah battery up near the front of the battery compartment.
Thanks --- Just picked up the P51 mount... but might go for the custom mount you suggested if it isnt working out right - seems AWEFULLY short to me... rather have a mount that works right than shimming if I can help it.

Also picked up a couple of HS55 servos... so in theory Im ready to go now. Hope I can find a calm evening to fly it off the lake with the lights on... Wonder how many UFO reports THAT will generate?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
seems AWEFULLY short to me... rather have a mount that works right than shimming if I can help it.
what is the right length, when there are so many different motors to choose from. some motors are longer than others.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,486 Posts
I know with the custom rc moutn the eflite 480 will fit perfectly.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:01 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,320 Posts
Eflite 450 and 480 will fit the Custom RC perfect. A stock PKZ 480 is much bigger. Personally, the E450 has gobs of power.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Since my wing is snapped and lost the other half, and i want to order a wing, but has anyone tryed makeing a replacement wing out of depron?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
deanz406
Latrobe, Pa.
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
S/c wing mod- no rubber bands !!!

PART 2- Wing mods : I didn't like the chintzy struts that came with my Cub, as I mentioned in Part 1, so I made my own. I used 1/4 X 3/32 basswood strips, as they are fairly light. I pindrilled the ends on 4 strips, and inserted 2-56 threaded rod and CA'd them in. I attached 2-56 metal clevises to the ends, and attached them to the wing strut tabs. I aligned them with the mounting point on the fuselage, cut them to length, and marked an angle on one of them, and trimmed 1 strip. I CA'd them together, and pindrilled the edges to add some support, by inserting 2 toothpicks in the holes, and CA'd them in. I cut 2 small aluminum strips to length, drilled them, and epoxied them to the strips. They fit nicely, and improved the look dramatically- at least a little more scale. I have to sand and paint them, and they will be finished. All I have left to do is a better system on the landing gear, put a nicer set of tires on it, and it will be ready for its maiden.
I have followed this thread, and did the battery box mods, removing the ACT, changed the 27MHZ stuff to 72MHZ, and most of the improvements that other members suggested in this thread. I do have a bigger motor, and a better esc, but want to see how well it flies as is with the stock motor.
Many thanks again for all the suggestions and contributions that fellow members made. I'll see what else I'm going to modify, and post any other ideas I have in part 3. Dean
deanz406 is offline Find More Posts by deanz406
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
what is the right length, when there are so many different motors to choose from. some motors are longer than others.
In my case, its the stock T-28 motor. Have had a bunch of stuff come up this weekend, so have not been able to get after the project. Im guessing its becoming a next weekend kind of thing. Amazing how life can get in the way of my flying habit
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:26 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
milehigh, you will like the 480. Especially with all the stuff you are dragging up into the air with you, LOL.

Turnigy 480 in mine, I asked about clipping the wing but I have flown it 3 times 3 days in a row and I think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now. The wing with a 5/16 square hollow CF embedded in the bottom surface has taken everything I threw at it with 6 new rubber bands on her. The wing retains the smallest amount of dihedral. I didn't flatten it, the CF rod just pulled 90% of it out. When set flush in the bottom side.

High speed inside & outside loops, Immelmans, rolls
... I should stop here and enjoy it for awhile.... I will mod the battery box for the 2200s I have been trying to use up the 1300s but they live... my instructor may inherit them, 4 minute flights are a teaser.
My experience with the cheapy HS-55 is not good ... I bought 4 so far 2 flutter terribly when centered... and I wish I had bought the 9g hobbyking servos.

My first wing needed struts, so I put CF rod singles on her and noticed a decided decrease in roll stability. I read about this somewhere but don't remember where. The new wing is strut-less and she rolls better than ever, for what it's worth.
Cheers.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Apr 08, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
Newb
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Hey gang, just wanted to share my completed (to first maiden anyway) Super Cub build in this log. I appreciate the help and info in this thread. Still lots to learn.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610543
Manzooka is offline Find More Posts by Manzooka