Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Katie...
there's always the other option.... Solid carbon! I used that to replace the spars on my Windfree build and most of you know what happened to it before I could get the maiden flight in. If it hadn't been for those spars it would have been trashed before it ever got into the air! If I remember right, APC doesn't carry metric sizes so you'd have to convert it over.

Jeff <=== Metrically challenged
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Another way to do what Don just talked about is to find someone with a router and a flush cut bit. Have them make a copy of the blade insert for you and that way it will fit perfectly into the work surface of the saw. You can also use the original to mark out any hold down screw location with ease Heaven knows I've made enough of them through the years. They do need replacing from time to time like any part
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,663 Posts
Hey Jeff! i finally got over to Pensacola and picked up the Fling Thing yesterday. Thanks!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Holy Moley, Don! And again, a veritable fount if information. About the spruce/basswood thing, I did not know that. Shame about the spruce.

The table saw trick I'll try. That sounds like fun. This one is kinda cheap, and doesn't have a guid-on-a-ruler thing, just an adjustable angle pusher. Good enough, I guess.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Hint: on a table saw, the smallest size you can saw depends partly on what the gap is between the blade and the slot in the cover plate around it.

In most cases, there is enough gap that anything thin enough to work in a model tends to fall down into the slot and gets destroyed. That gap is so you can tilt the blade to 45 degrees or so, which we normally don't need to do for most of our stuff.

The solution is to get a sheet of thin plywood (1/16" will do). Some of that 1' x 4' you can get at your LHS will do. Fit the table saw with a fine-toothed blade (often called a "veneer" blade). Retract the table saw blade enough to be below the table surface.

Cut the length of the ply to match the fore-and-aft length of the table, then tape it in place centered over the blade slot. With any luck, you can still fit the rip fence back in place.

Now, turn the table saw on, and slowly crank the blade back up. This will cut a slot in the ply that exactly matches the blade with nearly zero gap. Shut down, retract the blade again, and gently sand off any wood fuzz or scraps that are hanging around the slot in the ply.

With this new custom-made cover plate in place, you can cut almost any thickness of strips you want, in many cases less than 1/32" thick. I've made .020" square rosewood strips on my little Dremel table saw for inlay work on wooden pennywhistles, and other folks use a variation of this for making the tiny wooden tiles for the rosettes around guitar sound holes. It will certainly work for slicing 2x4's into spar stock, even on a full-sized table saw.
God I love this group.... learn something new every day!! Thanks Don!

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:24 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Ahhh, it's called a fence, and my saw DOES have one. I had assumed last night that, since the display model didn't have one, it didn't exist. Mines a little crooked, too, but a lot better than the rental. It'll pay for itself soon enough, I think.

We're off to get stuff to bolt the saw down. Hmmm, LHS is along the way.......
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:19 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
Jack, just for you! Dale and his Houston Hawk! Very nicely done!
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Jack, just for you! Dale and his Houston Hawk! Very nicely done!
I likey!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:53 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Oh no' only one game left!!

What do you think guys will it be N.E. or N. Y., be nice to see Eli get one more ring as you never know when your last game will be played like what his brother is facing?

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Last edited by granada don; Feb 05, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Call me birdbrained, call me flattered

Ahhh, Superbowl Sunday, a nice, warm, clear day, perfect for grilling up dinner before the game. The vultures know the smell of the grill, it seems, for today they are all out, circling low and tight over the barbecues, first one, then another, hopscotching across the neighborhood.

I tried to get a picture, but they had already moved on. I'll be out stalking them a while longer, camera ready.

Enjoy the game fellas.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
I don't do football so I guess it's just you and me Katie.

Actually, I have been spending the afternoon cleaning up the man-cave, organizing (again), trying to figure out what I want to sell to make room and what I can give to some local kids. I'm about to start Man-cave Part II and have to be able to move stuff around. I'm going to add on another addition of about 12' x 20'. That'll spread out the main woodworking/honey-do project area and ad storage. Really trying to get a woodie started too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Ahhh, Superbowl Sunday, a nice, warm, clear day, perfect for grilling up dinner before the game. The vultures know the smell of the grill, it seems, for today they are all out, circling low and tight over the barbecues, first one, then another, hopscotching across the neighborhood.

I tried to get a picture, but they had already moved on. I'll be out stalking them a while longer, camera ready.

Enjoy the game fellas.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:08 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
This local kid will take an airplane or two!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:26 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
Actually TJ I may have something for you. Let me know when I can call you after tonight.

Edit to my post about the Super Bowl. My wife is out in the sun room screaming, cheering and throwing stuff while rooting for her team. She yells for me when the commercials come on. I run out there, watch the ads, then back into the living room for more on-line time burning.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'm at work until Thursday night, then home until Monday at about 12:30PM.

Madonna at half-time wasn't too bad. Not great, better than last years half time show, but not too bad.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,087 Posts
I'll call you.

Madonna's back up dancers and the rest of the show was awesome. Madonna herself was............sad. She sure can't dance anymore and her lip synching was way off. I've always enjoyed her music but she's just a nasty .