HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
347 Posts
Discussion
ideas for extending wing by one bay on each half

I am working on a 52 inch Span OV-10 ARF that is a bit on the heavy side . To help with wing loading , I would like to increase the wingspan on each half by one bay .

I was thinking of cutting the wing between the last rib and the wing tip . Then splice a new section on with a new rib. I would strengthen the splice at the LE with CF , add webs at the front and rear spars as well as the TE. Would this be strong enough ?

Is there another way ? I don't want to build a new wing .

Tks
sportflyer is online now Find More Posts by sportflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,522 Posts
You don't need the carbon along the LE. Just ensure you tie in the existing spars to the extension and butt glue the leading and trailing edges in place. In fact you don't even need to copy the sizes of the original materials. Just as long as the spars lock together.

You also want to extend the ailerons. If you don't the tip panels without the ailerons will tend to fight and reduce the roll rate over what you have now.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
347 Posts
OK . Tks This helps a lot .
sportflyer is online now Find More Posts by sportflyer