HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Question
Futureproofing myself without going overkill

Hi,

I have an accucel 6 which I always used with my mCPx batteries and it seemed to work great. I just got into RC trucks which obviously have much larger batteries and find myself in need of a new charger.

I was originally looking at the icharger 106b+, but I am one to try to futureproof myself a bit, however I dont want to get a really powerful charger if I wont even come close to using all its power.

I am currently running a PC PSU 12V at 15A. I plan on using this for awhile, but will eventually (maybe in a few months) get a couple server power supplies and run them in series for 24V.

I currently have two 2S 5300 gens ace batteries with a max charge rate of 5C. I do plan on eventually getting a couple 3S 5000 gens ace batteries (which I assume will also have a 5C charge rating). The max number of batteries I plan on charging at a time would be four 2S or four 3S batteries. Is the 206B enough for this? Or should I look at the 306B instead.

And I know there a several 306B vs PL6 threads out there... but based on my current situation, which would be better off a 12V power supply.
weidmark is offline Find More Posts by weidmark
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:34 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Either the 306 or the PL6 will be happy on 12V. They won't be able to produce their full potential but will be fine for the batteries you have now. Then you can move up to 24V as you like.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Thanks.

I am leaning more toward the 306b. Sounds like the PL6 has several cool features. But for me I just want to plug my batteries in and charge them. I don't see myself doing much customization. I do like the sound of the PL6s better balancing, but I doesnt sound like it is all that much faster than the 306b.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
The 306b can pull slightly more watts off 12v then the PL6. I've had a 306b for quite a while and have no complaints. I just got a PL6 as well but have not really gotten into customizing it yet so I won't make any decisions yet on which is better. In short pretty sure you would be happy with either one. If you want just the basic functions the 306b is great. If you want to really get into customizing things the PL6 lets you do just about anything.

The one thing I found interesting in the PL6 is the ability to set the frequency (31.25 kHz, 62.5 kHz, 125 kHz). It seems for small packs it uses a different frequency then for large packs. Have not looked into just what that means yet really. According to this thread though it just affects the efficiency (watts in vs watts out) of the charger.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
The 306b can pull slightly more watts off 12v then the PL6. I've had a 306b for quite a while and have no complaints. I just got a PL6 as well but have not really gotten into customizing it yet so I won't make any decisions yet on which is better. In short pretty sure you would be happy with either one. If you want just the basic functions the 306b is great. If you want to really get into customizing things the PL6 lets you do just about anything.

The one thing I found interesting in the PL6 is the ability to set the frequency (31.25 kHz, 62.5 kHz, 125 kHz). It seems for small packs it uses a different frequency then for large packs. Have not looked into just what that means yet really. According to this thread though it just affects the efficiency (watts in vs watts out) of the charger.
I recently bought a PL6 and am planning to get another charger to use in combination with it, probably a 106. The other charger will be for the smaller packs and the PL6 for the large 6S packs. I really like my PL6, very easy to use and very versatile. I too was concerned that the PL6 would have far more capabilities than I'll need, but then again, I most likely won't outgrow it anytime soon.

The different frequencies have to do with the switching power supply. It's the same thing with ESC's, different frequencies work better for different situations.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
I guess more features couldnt hurt. Ill do more reading between the icharger 306B and PL6 although I realize a lot of it is just personal preference. I wish my LHS had both so I could check them out. Whichever I get I will have to order in.

The balancing of the 306b is similar to the accucel 6 in that it has all the different sizes on the side, so if I wanted to balance four 2s batteries I would just get one of these,
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...e-adapter.html

How does the balancing on the PL6 work as it seems to just have one big port. Do I just get the same cable as above and use the left side pins of it? or do I need to get

http://www.rotorquest.com/product_in...ducts_id=13770

as well as the cable above
Last edited by weidmark; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:21 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidmark View Post
I guess more features couldnt hurt. Ill do more reading between the icharger 306B and PL6 although I realize a lot of it is just personal preference. I wish my LHS had both so I could check them out. Whichever I get I will have to order in.

The balancing of the 306b is similar to the accucel 6 in that it has all the different sizes on the side, so if I wanted to balance four 2s batteries I would just get one of these,
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...e-adapter.html

How does the balancing on the PL6 work as it seems to just have one big port. Do I just get the same cable as above and use the left side pins of it? or do I need to get

http://www.rotorquest.com/product_in...ducts_id=13770

as well as the cable above
For parallel charging you would want either this:
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...xh-t-plug.html

or this:
http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-mul...xh-t-plug.html

Either will work with either charger. You will have to specify which balancing cable to match the adapter board to the charger.

The Paraboard is less expensive but the FMA offers greater protection in the way of fuses. It is also more versatile as it connects to more battery types.

Glen
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Ok.

Thanks. Too bad they don't offer a traxxas board, as that's what I use. Bought I guess the others are more popular.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:39 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Ok.

Thanks. Too bad they don't offer a traxxas board, as that's what I use. Bought I guess the others are more popular.
Ask and you shall receive.
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...h-traxxas.html

Glen
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Oh cool. Searched for it... I guess I missed it or didnt put the right keywords in my search. So I think I am leaning more toward the PL6 now. Last question, if I order from progressive it says I get a balance board with it. Would that include the cable to connect the board to the charger?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Oh cool. Searched for it... I guess I missed it or didnt put the right keywords in my search. So I think I am leaning more toward the PL6 now. Last question, if I order from progressive it says I get a balance board with it. Would that include the cable to connect the board to the charger?
Best put that question to Progressive RC.

Glen
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Ok, it does come with the cable. Now final questions (i hope). I was just about to order the PL6 with the EC5 to banana adapter, however they are out of stock on the adapter until the end of the month. Do most people use these adaptors, or do most just cut off the EC5 and solder on banana plugs themselves? I couldnt see a picture showing the back of the unit, is the input wire easily replaceable or is it soldered to the board on the inside.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:06 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
All of my power supply connections are 4mm banana sockets so I just remove the EC5 and solder on the 4mm banana plugs. That eliminates one connection in the circuit. No matter how good a connector is there is some voltage loss. I get rid of as many connectors as practical.

Glen
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Page says it includes a free jst-xh/thunder power balance board. Note that's a balance board not a paraboard. I'm sure he includes the cable. I'm guessing this is the board:
http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-xh-...nce-board.html
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver