HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
412 Posts
Question
Making Windshields

Does anyone know how to make windshields,not the stick on type,but actual windshields ? Trying to figure what to make one out of and how to get the angles right so it looks like the one below.It is on a 55"Kannelos Sundancer,that was made back in the 80's, that I plan on restoring. The company that made the boat is out of business and is the same manufacturer that made the Kannelos outdrives.I called the owner Peter Kannelos to see if he had any leftovers,but he sold everything.I thought of using plexiglass or lexin and can get each locally,but it is clear type.Is there a way to dye plastic to get a black or dark look ? Also thought of using 1/16" plywood and paint it black.The original windshield looks like it had a lip on the outside bottom where there was screws holding it on.The boat below is pics of the only other one of these I could find.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:07 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
See if you have a specialty plastics store in your area, they may have it in many color choices, both transparent and opaque.
You could try Lexan if you want it clear. If you want a tinted/smoked look, don't use the Pactra Lexan paint that is supposed to give you the look as it doesn't work well at all.
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
412 Posts
I looked around but can only find the clear.I made a windshield for a yellow 55" Shockwave I had and it took me four tries and some wasted plexiglass before I got the angles right.I primed and painted it with Testors primer and black paint ,but the paint begun to peel after a few times in the sun.I ended up buying another flimsey windshield from Horizon Hobbies before I sold it.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
Part of my sister's business involves laser cutting polycarbonates as she has a patent pending product. The problem is that it is too thick for your needs.
If you make the windshield in pieces you can glue them together with a non-fogging CA adhesive.
You could find a shop that does plastic window tinting and see if you can get a tiny piece, possibly free or very cheaply and put it over the clear.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
to tint you can put it in hot fabric die I think
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
I've used Rit dye on nylon and Tygon but haven't tried it on other plastics. If you try it, don't use any good cookware!