HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:32 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Discussion
Early Xmas Gift to myself. Spektrum DX7s, Telemetry, New Huey UH-1 Chopper!

After trying to get signal quality or RSSI out of the Aurora 9 for over a year, I have finally given up. Hitec has failed pretty hard with the aurora 9 IMO. I have lost signal at rather short ranges on numerous locations, crashing expensive quads. I needed RSSI/TX/RX Signal Quality for OSD and FPV purposes so I decided to go with the Spektrum DX7s. The Turnigy 9x Smartieparts thing never worked for me on Windows 7 64 either so I figured it was time to make the switch. Going to put all my Hitec gear up for sale once I send it in for a few switch repairs and a receiver repair.

As far as the chopper goes. I've gotte real good with flybar flying. I can fly my Nine Eagle Solo Pro real well so I'm hoping this is a natural transition. I hope....

I may pick up some training gear.....

time to do some research in getting an RSSI signal from the receiver for my remzibi OSD. Anyone got info? Going to tear down the quad, replace the Power Distribution, ESC, and put it on a diet with this new radio. The Satellite running through Copter Control.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:11 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
I noticed you have a AR8000 receiver, and Dx7 radio.

Can you run a 8 channel receiver on a 7 channel radio?
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:39 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locko View Post
I noticed you have a AR8000 receiver, and Dx7 radio.

Can you run a 8 channel receiver on a 7 channel radio?
comes with the DX7s. Any receiver thats DSMX with data port will accept telemetry
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:31 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
comes with the DX7s. Any receiver thats DSMX with data port will accept telemetry
So off the topic, Can you use a DX6 radio with a Ar7000 receiver
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:13 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locko View Post
So off the topic, Can you use a DX6 radio with a Ar7000 receiver
Yes, but you only utilise 6 channels (that your Tx is capable of).
Not sure how your DX6 compares to a DX6i though? Stripped back version?
I was running a DX6i with an AR7000 fine.

On topic - nice bit of kit daign for LoS flying. Heli looks alot of fun.

Wouldnt use $pektrum for FPV though, as a permanent solution - for about the same price as that Transmitter, use a 9X, plus purchase a UHF R/C system (quick VM installation of Windows XP isnt a hastle, to get everything up and running - if you were having problems with 7)
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Last edited by SkyEyes; Dec 02, 2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:42 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Looks nice! I like the way the heli looks too -- sweet! (I have the original SR). Please update and let us know what you think of everything and how you're progressing with it. And, Merry Christmas
palmtree953 is offline Find More Posts by palmtree953
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:09 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
I have a Spektrum DX7 and since ive got the Turnigy 9x with my smartieparts board im kicking spektrum to the curb!

I have the same Windows 7 64bit and it works amazing .... and will have way more features then the spektrum.
I love the ER9x option to have one switch to recalibrate the subtrims so when you maiden a new plane you dont have to fumble with the trim switches ...... hold trim with the sticks flick a switch and bam .... trims set!!

Shame you couldnt get yours working ,.... you could of spent the money on a decent UHF set like the new Rangelink.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post
Yes, but you only utilise 6 channels (that your Tx is capable of).
Not sure how your DX6 compares to a DX6i though? Stripped back version?
I was running a DX6i with an AR7000 fine.

On topic - nice bit of kit daign for LoS flying. Heli looks alot of fun.

Wouldnt use $pektrum for FPV though, as a permanent solution - for about the same price as that Transmitter, use a 9X, plus purchase a UHF R/C system (quick VM installation of Windows XP isnt a hastle, to get everything up and running - if you were having problems with 7)
I've never planned for long distance FPV or non LOS. Besides the rule of FPV is if theres no LOS theres no video feed any way... Mostly beach flights and off the roof of my house occasionally with my little glider. I've got 3 mile LOS and about 70 degree view to fly in If I ever get into planes more I'd consider UHF but here in busy los angeles theres really nowhere safe to fly long distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUd~Fokker View Post
I have a Spektrum DX7 and since ive got the Turnigy 9x with my smartieparts board im kicking spektrum to the curb!

I have the same Windows 7 64bit and it works amazing .... and will have way more features then the spektrum.
I love the ER9x option to have one switch to recalibrate the subtrims so when you maiden a new plane you dont have to fumble with the trim switches ...... hold trim with the sticks flick a switch and bam .... trims set!!

Shame you couldnt get yours working ,.... you could of spent the money on a decent UHF set like the new Rangelink.
My aurora 9 does that and so does the DX-7s as far as trims go. I was done with fumbling with the 9x, could care less for it I spent so many hours with it. Spektrum is supported widely in the industry in BNF applications, and CC supports the satellite. It should work very well for my Quad FPV applications. I was flying my MCX2 last night with it, and it was a nice to just BNF. Maybe I'll get into the parkzone models and learn some plane flying.

The Aurora 9 is pissing off a lot of people....
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree953 View Post
Looks nice! I like the way the heli looks too -- sweet! (I have the original SR). Please update and let us know what you think of everything and how you're progressing with it. And, Merry Christmas
To be honest I fly great in Phoenix RC except for 3d models....

I hope that translates well with the SR Huey. Its a beautiful model as well. I have lights on the way.

This will be the first time flying a coaxial flybar...