HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspcrepair View Post
I did read in another forum that someone had to replace like 3 tail motors already and the heli was only a few months old.
2) is there actually something else (like you said about the main) causing it?
Fly the helicopter into the weeds with the motors still running - that will burn up motors. Extra luggage like bigger batteries or a scale fuselage (sorry) doesn't make motors happy.

Kill the throttle before crashing.

Burning up 3 motors a month is likely not because of bad motors. Makes for interesting posts though and we see a lot of them..
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Great!

I like it! Mine has been cut to shreds doing the work I did using 3 servos and this looks good, simple and works! Well, I won't say cut to shreds, as the 3rd servo was actually quite easy. It probably responds just as quick as mine does, also. I still wish I can find a better swashplate to fit the shaft. No luck though! I have extras, still, and can restrict movement via programming if needed. I have not flown in a while due to work and other commitments. Again, GREAT WORK!
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Brakes? Who Needs Brakes?
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Hi again...

Quote:
Burning up 3 motors a month is likely not because of bad motors. Makes for interesting posts though and we see a lot of them..
hahahaha I had to laugh at that one. I bet you do see a lot of interesting posts like that, lol

By the way, I read that post on how you would clean the tail motor... I think I would go with the second, less aggressive method too... ROFL!

Yeah, running any elec motor while caught will burn it out for sure, not to mention extra weight also makes batteries work harder and wears them down faster.

I think that is probably what may have happened to mine. The Tail Blade is so long that it is even in length to the bottom of the Tail Fin, and because of that, a few times when I flew from a grassy area, the tail blade would catch in the grass and wouldn't allow it to turn.
It has also gone down in high weeds one time where the controller couldn't kill the Heli motor... so yeah... I would be willing to bet part of the tail motor problem is my own fault.

I don't have any extra weight on it so I would guess that is it and I have begun to take off from a hard surface after seeing the blade get stuck in the grass.

I do kill the throttle before actually crashing (as I have done with the smaller ones also) although I do try my best to Slow its momentum as much as I can and I try to get the nose up before it gets to the impact point, then I kill it.
My son has a bad habit of letting his run after it has fallen over during a take off or after he has crashed it and I am always yelling "Kill It, Kill It!"
He has one of the Syma S023G Apache Co-Ax heli's.

I really like that MJX F45 I saw... I had originally planned on a 4 channel one but settled for the 9104 because of price and size. Maybe in the near future I will be getting into the 4 to 6 channel Fixed Pitch and Collective Pitch, even the 3D variety but, I'm a Poor Folk and can't afford too much -- this one is really fun and is enough for now so I am going to concentrate on getting it back in the air...

And will take more care in where and how it flies -- and lands
jspcrepair is offline Find More Posts by jspcrepair
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:12 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
By the way, I read that post on how you would clean the tail motor... I think I would go with the second, less aggressive method too... ROFL!

I do kill the throttle before actually crashing (as I have done with the smaller ones also) although I do try my best to Slow its momentum as much as I can and I try to get the nose up before it gets to the impact point, then I kill it.
Once a motor is a basket case, anything goes to try to get it running properly again, including running it under water. I think that was option one, but I don't remember what the less aggressive method was.

Yes, when a helicopter is falling out of the sky by killing the throttle, my thumb beats my brain with throttle up just before the helicopter hits the ground.

Except this one DH9104 night flight in a snowstorm when it hit a tree at least 50 feet up, couldn't see the DH9104, just heard a loud whack, killed the throttle. Thought the blades exploded from the freezing cold. Had I known it hit a tree I could have restarted on the way down, give some rudder to see the floodlight again, and flown it back instead of crashing. Damn. it was really cold that night.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Once a motor is a basket case, anything goes to try to get it running properly again, including running it under water. I think that was option one, but I don't remember what the less aggressive method was.

Yes, when a helicopter is falling out of the sky by killing the throttle, my thumb beats my brain with throttle up just before the helicopter hits the ground.

Except this one DH9104 night flight in a snowstorm when it hit a tree at least 50 feet up, couldn't see the DH9104, just heard a loud whack, killed the throttle. Thought the blades exploded from the freezing cold. Had I known it hit a tree I could have restarted on the way down, give some rudder to see the floodlight again, and flown it back instead of crashing. Damn. it was really cold that night.
I think the less aggressive was to simply remove it and take it apart and clean it.

Yeah - bad thing about Brushed motors, the brushes do tend to get dirty faster and sometimes require cleaning.

"Night Flight" - "Snowstorm" - "50 feet up" - "heard a loud whack" - ROFLMAO!!!

Man that is some funny LOL HAHAHA! -- I needed a good laugh thanks

I will tell ya some other crazy stuff I found on the DH9104 on 2 different sites -- I wonder if the Specs varies
depending on the seller?

Site 1: Range About 30m or below
Site 2: Flies over 100m high (and) Up to 275 ft radio control range

Is it 90ft or 275ft or 300ft? -- LOL

Site 1: Transmitter battery 3x1.2V AA(not included)
(edited - this was supposed to be 2x)

Wow! also not included (in the specs) are the other 6 batteries it takes -- LOL
Mine has a removable "Battery Block" that holds 8 AA and AA's are 1.5v (except Rechargeable NiMH are 1.2v)
As a Computer Repair Tech, at least I know what battery voltages are...

Site 1: Full Function 3 Channel RC Forward / backward / up / down / left or right rotation
Site 2: Full function 3 channel radio control (Left /Right, Forward/Backward, Hover, and Lands)

Hahaha

Site 2: Real life helicopter styling

Never saw a real life Heli with a tail rotor long enough to hit the ground!

Site 2: Bright LED head and tail lights!

All of the ones I have seen for sale and the one I have all seem to only come with a Front LED under the nose.

Anyhow - I am awaiting the delivery of my new Tail Unit so I am very bored right now.
All I have to fly are my ExRC Sky Runner and my Ignite Falcon Flyer -- LOL
And they seem to be giving out too -- they won't stay in flight as long as they used to and the batteries (3.7v 15C 150mah) all check out fine.
Ah well, I have other parts for those if need be.
Last edited by jspcrepair; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:35 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:

Site 1: Range About 30m or below
Site 2: Flies over 100m high (and) Up to 275 ft radio control range

Site 1: Transmitter battery 3x1.2V AA(not included)

Site 1: Full Function 3 Channel RC Forward / backward / up / down / left or right rotation
Site 2: Full function 3 channel radio control (Left /Right, Forward/Backward, Hover, and Lands)
Range varies with transmitter frequency band. My 49MHz is good to at least 300 meters, at which point I lose orientation and have to kill throttle anyway.

I read 4 AA batteries. So I put 4 in the DH9104 transmitter, then ripped it apart trying to fix it.

Wow! That is Full function 3D flying.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Though I Would Throw This In

Here is a Video I made of the Issue - for Reference

Mini Video Camera mounted on front of Controller.

Double Horse (DH9104) Left Spin (5 min 11 sec)

Enjoy!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
8.49v is above the damage limit for a 7.4v LiPo, Much higher above the damage limit for a Li-Ion. May be measurement error. Remember that when removed from charger, the LiPo or Li-Ion voltage would be higher still.

My separate computer controlled charger will tell me how much energy was put back into the battery after draining it, and give an idea of battery health.

My battery is only stock 1300mah Li-Ion, with four other 1000mah LiPo's which work, but mess up the DH9104 balance.

Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 28, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:32 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Here is a Video I made of the Issue - for Reference

Mini Video Camera mounted on front of Controller.

Enjoy!
Broken tail motor.

The quality of the tail motors varies much. My friend flyed only couple of times with his brand new DH when the tail motor stopped functioning.
...he opened it and the copper wires were loosen in many points.

.....sometimes they last dozens of flights
Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
@Ribble - Sorry, My Bad - I meant to say 8.39v not 8.49v ---
8.4v appears to be quite normal for these as they both test that as soon as they
come off the charger.

Anyhow...
I got the new tail unit today and put it on and took it outside for a test flight (about
5 minutes) and... it flies Perfectly now!
I think it actually responds better than the old one with smoother turns and quicker
turn response.

It is about 100 F - 103 F outside here today so I am not going to stay out there
and from what I have know... Batteries don't like high heat (like me) LOL.

I will try a longer flight this evening after it cools off some.

I am quite happy again

So now I guess I have some extra parts to use if need be --
One thing I might try is what I read on another forum --
Since the tail motor housing is solid around the body of the motor, I may drill some
small holes in the casing around the motor body and see if that helps reduce any
overheating possibilities.

The person who tried that says it has let the motor stay cooler and has made it
last much longer than the one they had to replace.

I can't see any way to open the old motor to see what the issue with it could have
been and I don't want to tear it up in case it just needs cleaned or something.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and replies -- I will be back soon with more info
from a longer flight and see if that solved my issue for good.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
I got the new tail unit today and put it on and took it outside for a test flight (about
5 minutes) and... it flies Perfectly now!
I think it actually responds better than the old one with smoother turns and quicker
turn response.

It is about 100 F - 103 F outside
Problem solved is always good news. You could try "Option One" with the old tail motor.

Same hot weather here with V911's. Except I have a wonderful crosswind that makes it too much fun to pass up. So, out in my back yard, fly a battery, cool off inside, then outside again with another V911 and another battery. That goes on all day until the wind stops.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Problem solved is always good news. You could try "Option One" with the old tail motor.

Same hot weather here with V911's. Except I have a wonderful crosswind that makes it too much fun to pass up. So, out in my back yard, fly a battery, cool off inside, then outside again with another V911 and another battery. That goes on all day until the wind stops.
There was a bit of crosswind coming from between the trees where I go so it was fun for the time I was trying it... just got back in from testing it with a trimmed Tail Blade --- I read where someone took off about 1/8" to 1/4" inch from each side of the tail blade to reduce Drift from Ground Effect --- and since I have a second stock one ---

It flies REALLY nice now

One thing I did notice on the old and new rotors --

Right where the Tail Gear's Shaft meets with the plastic insert on the tail-blade shaft itself, there was "play" in and out -- a gap on the old one and on the new one, there is no play between them.

Perhaps on the old one... perhaps the Tail's main gear was riding in and out causing "drag" on the shaft and reducing performance in the tail motor???
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
perhaps the Tail's main gear was riding in and out causing "drag" on the shaft and reducing performance in the tail motor???
On my DH9104 the tail gear will pull out about 2mm, then springs back in again. The tail rotor pushes the gear toward the motor anyway.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Hmmm... it was a thought. Maybe it just was a bad tail motor after all.

Well I can say that I am happy with mine again

It may only be a large 3-channel but I am happy with that for now... although
I have read some in this thread (toward the beginning) about the sheer size vs
wind and how it might perform.
I can say that this thing is Wicked Fast for its size and type and it has gotten
away from me a few times and ended up Nose First into a wall, banister, air
conditioner unit, and ground... LOL -- The size vs speed in this case made it
Nose-down in "Kamikaze" fashion and no amount of Reverse would lift the tail.
I really need to be more careful because I don't want to be buying another
one so soon for parts...
I just can't help it - I Like Speed in things like this and watching it go overhead
at full throttle is fantastic!

I still cannot seem to eliminate the Left Drift on takeoff though. Trimming the tail
blades did help some but I can't eliminate it completely. Once it is in the air, it is
fine and when it is at full throttle, it makes seriously Wide turns, near Sideways.

I can't complain much about having to replace the tail motor already... I realize
these little motors don't last that long if certain conditions are present... and since
I did only pay about $56 for it, I can expect some things to wear fast.
I saw a lot of places offering this for around $119 - there is NO WAY I would pay
that - knowing what I know about it now.

I tried something yesterday that didn't quite work out the way I planned...
I have a mini video camera (one of the cheap "Slick" cameras) so I got the
brilliant idea to strap it to the bottom to take Airborne Video...
On a full battery, I was able to lift and go about 10ft up and flew for about 30
seconds before it couldn't stay aloft and I had to land. A little too heavy.
So, I guess I will have to spring for a Micro Wireless camera.

I also have several LED's and one of them blinks Red/Blue so I attached wires
and a plug connector that fits the LED connector on the PCB and now I can fly
at night a little better.
I don't want that one LED as a permanent solution for night flying though...
I want a complete Navigation Light system for it and I saw a few that are nice...
but I have some questions about them...

I posted here Navigation Lights for Heli... HELP!

My questions are mainly about why there is no resistor on the "stock" LED and
how can I attach a light system and use the "stock" battery and PCB connector
instead of having to haul more weight (like an 9V battery).

I want to get as much fly time as I can out of the batteries without having too
much extra drain on them from a full lighting system but what is worse on the
batteries is direct LED's (like the "stock" one and the added one) which will
pull their full 20mA to 30mA from the battery since no resistor is in place on
either of them.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, WV
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
I'm Back! and Quite Disappointed!

Well, the heli was flying fine with the new tail unit, up until yesterday.

Now the main motor is giving out!

It isn't exactly true about the Li-ion batteries - mine are still going strong -- taking
a full charge and holding it and I even tested them against another charger and
on another heli -- and they are still like new.

I cannot believe it -- I just bought this thing about a month ago and already had to
replace the Tail Motor and now I will have to replace the main motor!

I tried cleaning it (by the "Wash" methods I have read about) and that made it
work a little better( but for how long?)

I cleaned it by dunking it in water and running it from a AA battery. Then I dunked
it in an "alcohol bath" to get rid of excess water... then lubed it. The "wash" got a
bunch of carbon out of it and it flew good when I tested it out but I can tell a
difference in the "Lift" power and in the way it acts - similar to the way the tail
motor acted when it went...

Can someone help me with upgrading this to better motors?

If it is possible, even brushed motors would be ok as long as they are better
than the originals.

Someone mentioned the MJX F45-014 Main Motor -- can you please tell me if
this worked for you in yours?
Also, what Tail motor would be best...

If nothing else (and if it would be a better move) How can it be upgraded to "Brushless"
without upgrading to 4 channel?

I am quite new to all of this so any help would be appreciated

Please, I don't want to have to put this thing on a shelf and forget it... I want to
fly it but I don't want to have to replace parts every 8 to 12 flights.

There are no kind of marking on the motors that would indicate what kind
would work -- other than they are 370 brushed motors... but I don't really want
to buy original DH9104 motors any more because they are obviously made
very cheaply and don't hold up for long.

Thanks